Disembarking before end of cruise

saint_em

Hi everyone, 

Happy new year! 

We are taking a Seattle-Alaska RT cruise in September and wish to disembark early in Victoria, Canada, rather than going back to Seattle. Victoria is the final port. 

I have read numerous things that suggest this is possible, but I wondered if anyone could point me towards who at Princess we need to contact to arrange this. I wasn't sure if we just need to call the main customer service line or if there is a specific department we'd need to speak to. 

We are in the UK, and booked directly with Princess via the UK website if that makes any difference. 

I am aware that Victoria is often missed so am looking at backup options for getting to Vancouver Island from Seattle as well. 

Any advice/tips would be appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, saint_em said:

Hi everyone, 

Happy new year! 

We are taking a Seattle-Alaska RT cruise in September and wish to disembark early in Victoria, Canada, rather than going back to Seattle. Victoria is the final port. 

I have read numerous things that suggest this is possible, but I wondered if anyone could point me towards who at Princess we need to contact to arrange this. I wasn't sure if we just need to call the main customer service line or if there is a specific department we'd need to speak to. 

We are in the UK, and booked directly with Princess via the UK website if that makes any difference. 

I am aware that Victoria is often missed so am looking at backup options for getting to Vancouver Island from Seattle as well. 

Yes it seems there are a few passengers that get off in Victoria 

Try starting with customer service. They can advise you from there.

43 minutes ago, saint_em said:

There is a ferry from Seattle to Victoria.  We did it as a day trip, but there were with passengers with luggage.

4 minutes ago, R**T said:

There is a ferry from Seattle to Victoria.  We did it as a day trip, but there were with passengers with luggage.

Unfortunately the ferry leaves at 0800, we wouldn't be able to get to it in time from the cruise port. 

you need to make your request to Princess and get an okay in advance.  Then ship knows you are leaving and you can settle your account before leaving.  We have done this in Europe several times.   As stated above, this is a route deviation request, your TA can get this for you or call Princess Customer service if booking directly.

When we were on our Southhampton round trip cruise a couple wanted to get off in Le Harve France  and go to Paris from there.  By the time they requested it they were denied because Princess said only a certain amount of people were allowed to disembark early at this port.  I don't know if it was the port itself or a general rule.  So I would request  a deviation as early as possible.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

you need to make your request to Princess and get an okay in advance.  Then ship knows you are leaving and you can settle your account before leaving.  We have done this in Europe several times.   As stated above, this is a route deviation request, your TA can get this for you or call Princess Customer service if booking directly.

We are doing one of these this fall.  I called Princess a while back to check on the procedure.  It can be done directly with them even if booked with a TA.  We are leaving the ship in one port and rejoining at a subsequent port. 

• Thanks 1

I'm doing the same thing (different ports) and just spoke with Princess today about this.  

You will need to request what is called a 'Route Sector Change' ... the sooner the better.  While I knew this was possible, it is not available to disembark at all ports of call.  I am booked on a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles and disembarking in my home port of San Francisco two days early.  If I wanted to disembark in Santa Barbara, the next port of call, it would not be allowed.  

But, I've been on a sailing where a number of great number of passengers disembarked in Victoria (instead of Seattle) a couple of years ago while on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, so think this is a good probability it will be allowed, but it does need to be authorized first.  

There is no charge from Princess to disembark early but some cruiselines or the port authority may have a charge.  Because it is not embarking and disembarking in two different 'US' ports, this is not in violation of the PVSA.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much everyone. We'll contact Princess in the next few days. I did just have a thought that as we've only paid a deposit we may not be able to confirm anything yet but hopefully they'll explain what we need to do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

If you end up in Seattle on or before Sept. 13, the Victoria Clipper has an afternoon sailing. It leaves at 3:15 pm.

Unfortunately that's the day we start our cruise! 

Here are some other options if you end up in Seattle:

1)  Fly Kenmore Air float plane.   This is a beautiful trip.  You WILL have strict luggage limitations although they MAY be able to accommodate all your luggage for a fee.  If you it looks like a problem you could drop your luggage off beforehand at the aforementioned Victoria Clipper terminal and they will transport it for you for the next day (afternoon) pick up.  YOU will be responsible for clearing the items through Canada Customs (be sure you plan for this around weekday office hours).  You will need between 45 minutes (using cabs) and two hours (walking) for the round trip between Clipper terminal (pick up paperwork first) and customs office to make this happen.  The luggage cost will be $0.67US per pound.  Personal items will be admitted without duty and taxes but that is not the decision of the Clipper staff - you will be shipping via a commercial cargo service.   You may be able to get a customs broker to do the paperwork for you. 

2)  Take Dungeness Line shuttle from Seattle to Port Angeles and then Coho Ferry. You end up being stuck in Port Angeles overnight if the shuttle is late (I have no idea how likely that is).  The drive through the Olympic Peninsula is quite scenic.

3)  Fly a regular flight between Seattle (SEA) and Victoria (YYJ) airports.   Neither airport is exactly convienient.  

4)  Take Amtrak train or Bus to Vancouver; transit/shuttle to Ferry terminal on Vancouver side; ferry to Victoria terminal; and then bus/etc to downtown Victoria.   This is very much a "milk run" .

5)  There is an additional ferry option with the Sidney/Anacortes ferry but as with the Clipper you will have the next day departure issue.

If you work around the luggage issue,  the first option is the most enjoyable as well as the fastest.

All this somewhat assumes you want to be in downtown Victoria without a car.

21 hours ago, saint_em said:

Thank you so much everyone. We'll contact Princess in the next few days. I did just have a thought that as we've only paid a deposit we may not be able to confirm anything yet but hopefully they'll explain what we need to do. 

That  shouldn't be a problem.  Princess mentioned that the earlier you set it up, the better!  There is some paperwork to fill out (if you have a TA, they  will need some information from your passport) before submitting it.  

Just yesterday, I spoke to my TA about this and she mentioned that it will probably be a morning disembarkation.  I was hoping for mine, it would be in the evening as I would like a nice leisurely last day, and even dinner, onboard.  Evidently, not!  It is based on when the customs / border control can be at the port.  My TA was thinking it would be around 10 AM.  Come to think of it, when I saw a really long line of passengers disembarking in Victoria the day before the cruise was over, we were on our way to breakfast ... so, maybe even more like 8:30 AM.