Update on my cruise i had to cance;

cruisinmeme

My husband and i had a 5 day cruise we had to cancel 3 days before the cruise. I called Norwegian to cancel. I had the taxes and port charges and pre ordered water credited back to my credit card fast as a flash. My agent emailed me the insurance form. I had the form filled out . My son had been airlifted to a New Orleans hospital from Baton Rouge. My son’s doctor signed it.  When we finally got home and i got around to it i finally submitted the form online (less than a week ago). I just received an email it had been reviewed,approved and a check in the mail in 2 business days. My point is take out the insurance. Believe me i never dreamed my 50 year old son would have a subarachnoid aneurysm Much less just before our cruise.

Edited by cruisinmeme
Misspelled a word
  • Like 4

Hope your son is doing well!

We always get travel insurance, but it isn't as much for reimbursement of a cancelled cruise, as it is for cost in case of a medical (or other) emergency while on the cruise.

Losing the cost of the cruise isn't good, but being bankrupted by medevac or emergency medical transport and foreign medical/hospital bills would be catastrophic.   It can easily cost upwards of $50,000 JUST for medevac transport, and the cost of a foreign hospital stay can go through the roof.  

19 minutes ago, DinaS said:

Hope your son is doing well!

We always get travel insurance, but it isn't as much for reimbursement of a cancelled cruise, as it is for cost in case of a medical (or other) emergency while on the cruise.

Losing the cost of the cruise isn't good, but being bankrupted by medevac or emergency medical transport and foreign medical/hospital bills would be catastrophic.   It can easily cost upwards of $50,000 JUST for medevac transport, and the cost of a foreign hospital stay can go through the roof.  

That is how we look at insurance as well.  We are willing and able to eat the cost of a cancellation if something happens pre-cruise, but we do not want to face to uncover costs of a major event while traveling.

OP, best wishes to you and your son.  I hope he is doing well.  I am glad the travel insurance was a small comfort during a difficult time.

Thank each and everyone of you for the kind words. My son is doing great (as great as you can after a brain bleed) the outcome could of gone so many ways.  I take him for a CT today and a follow up visit in New Orleans Monday . He sure tires easily. Of coarse he isn’t driving yet. The family really noticed a big change on New Years Day when he is usually non stop talking and simple chatter from others made him uneasy. Can’t help but wonder what returning to work someday will be like.

true the cost of this cruise was not a big financial burden yet i read on cruise critic often people have emergencies and truly expect NCL to hand over their paid in full money because they had an emergency like i did. That is life- expect the unexpected! Now if one of us needs a helicopter ride in a foreign country you best have the insurance.

we are actually blessed everything considering.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your son and sorry you had to miss your cruise. But, thank you for posting this. So many times we see these threads about having to cancel last minute due to a medical emergency and the poster is complaining that heartless, soulless NCL isn't reimbursing them, despite not having purchased travel insurance. I am glad to see someone posting that was responsible and purchases travel insurance up front being rewarded for that with a relatively hassle-free reimbursement experience.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

That is how we look at insurance as well.  We are willing and able to eat the cost of a cancellation if something happens pre-cruise, but we do not want to face to uncover costs of a major event while traveling.

OP, best wishes to you and your son.  I hope he is doing well.  I am glad the travel insurance was a small comfort during a difficult time.

That's also one of the best reasons to ALWAYS carry a passport - whether you technically need one or not.  Having a passport and being able to get on a plane (or other transportation) QUICKLY from a foreign country back to your location can mean the difference between life or death.  

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard (or read) people asking if they really need to bring (or get) a passport.   It lasts for 10 years!!!  If you can afford to travel, you can afford a passport.

Sure - you can always get a copy, or go to an embassy and get something that allows you to travel back home, but those hours (or days) that you are delayed can really mean the difference between life or death.

Always, always, ALWAYS carry a passport when you are leaving the country.  Heck - I always carry my passport whenever I travel - even domestically.

• Like 1