Waiting to Download App on Ship

Is it possible to wait and download the RC App once we are on the ship (while still in port in FLL)?  We have two family members who are surprising everyone else in our group and don’t want to reveal they are going until they “bump into us at lunch” after boarding.  I know in airports sometimes the WiFi is so weak that we can’t download things prior to getting on the plane but I’m hoping that is not the case for the RC app.  I’m the only one who knows they are going and added them to our show reservations and linked for dining and am afraid if I have everyone get the app early they will question  the number of people on the reservations ..  

2 hours ago, JayhawkFans said:

I’m the only one who knows they are going and added them to our show reservations and linked for dining and am afraid if I have everyone get the app early they will question  the number of people on the reservations ..  

Unlikely anyone will notice. But to answer your question, you might be able to download on the ship but it might depend on the ship - usually you get the app/play store link after connecting to the ship's WiFi to download the app.  BTW, this is also a way to sometimes get free internet for a few minutes.

Biker, who would advise against waiting to get the app.

Edited by Biker19

Do they have accounts already?   Otherwise - I would just tell them to download it that morning and you will show them how to login when we get to the ship?    I assume these unsuspecting people wouldn’t have the booking number to add it to their account or they would be seeing these things already??

4 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

Do they have accounts already?   Otherwise - I would just tell them to download it that morning and you will show them how to login when we get to the ship?    I assume these unsuspecting people wouldn’t have the booking number to add it to their account or they would be seeing these things already??

Huh?  The "unsuspecting people" know they are coming and are surprising the people onboard.  OP is asking about the others in their party that don't know these people are coming.  

Agree with Biker - getting app onboard or in terminal can be a bit iffy.  But getting it early could spoil the surprise if people look at the show and dinner reservations.  A lot of the stuff on the app (including show reservations) doesn't really show up until you get onboard.  Anyone using a computer will see the surprise folks on show reservations.

I am the only one in our group with a RCCL account.  In order to use the App, each person has to have a log in right?   I’m the “planner” .. they all just go along. I should go ahead and create log ins for everyone and the morning before we leave the hotel have everyone download the App and hope they don’t look too closely at anything until after we are on the ship.   I know we will want it for texting while on the ship

Edited by JayhawkFans

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Do they have a data plan to download via cellular while still in port?

They might as well do it on WiFi at hotel instead of using cell data.

2 hours ago, JayhawkFans said:

In order to use the App, each person has to have a log in right?  

Yes.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

Some people have unlimited or "more than enough" data; just sayin'.

Not just data, but most folks probably don't want to hassle with installing an app in the middle of the embarkation day.

The OP's plan to get everyone set up with the app in the AM at hotel is probably good, though I would do it in the calmness of home a couple of days before sailing.

1 minute ago, JayhawkFans said:

We are on Allure and have a 2 bedroom suite with internet included but think I woll

go ahead and create log ins for everyone and then take our chances the morning of just before shuttling to the port.

I agree with Biker, do it at home while there is not stress of cruise day.

What a fun surprise!  I am also the "planner" for our cruises/vacations and I would love the challenge of pulling this off some day.  As the one who made all the arrangements for our upcoming cruise, I can see and access ALL of the linked reservations from within my own.  But when I actually log into one of the other accounts, I can only see that account.  As another suggested, create all the accounts yourself before your trip, that's what I did for everyone.  They can all download the app at the hotel, just tell them you'll distribute the log-in credentials once on board.  Sometimes if you just give instructions for them to tend to a certain piece of something, saying you'll finish it at a later point, it works great.  Does for me anyway.

As mentioned, only Harmony and Allure have the chat feature within the app at this point.  Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Ren1216
  • Thanks 1