Northern Lights dress code

Breckski

We're doing the Northern Lights tour this week.  Trying not to have to pack so much and will certainly have to pack a good bit of cold weather gear.  Leads to the question - is the dress code for meals the same on this cruise as others?  I had just assumed since it'd be so cold on the cruise that the main concern would be warmth not appearance???  But I do know the ships are heated so my logic may have a flaw!  Any insight would be appreciated.

The dress codes do not change. Jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants will generate the same issues (whatever those might be) as on a Mediterranean cruise. Styles change. For example, on our cruise out of Miami to the Panama Canal, there were a lot of colorful Tommy Bahama shirts on men in the evenings. You won't see those on the Northern Lights. As for temperature on the ship, I've found polo shirts comfortable during the day with both the warmest and coldest outdoor itineraries on VO.

On a cold weather cruise you will see more sweaters, flannel or cordoury shirts and vests.  As long as the shirt has a collar and the pants are not denim blue, its fine in the restaurants.  People wear plaid flannel shirts, cargo pants, jean style pants in black or grey (just not denim), sneakers and hiking shoes.

18 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

On a cold weather cruise you will see more sweaters, flannel or cordoury shirts and vests.  As long as the shirt has a collar and the pants are not denim blue, its fine in the restaurants.  People wear plaid flannel shirts, cargo pants, jean style pants in black or grey (just not denim), sneakers and hiking shoes.

Thanks a bunch.  This is exactly what I was thinking/hoping.  Really didn't want to take another pair of shoes.  I really hate traveling with 50lbs of clothing.

Hi mwike

We did the NL cruise early 2019. There was much discussion on here re clothing!

The ship was very warm, we both wore no more than shirts and blouses - indeed when I wore the occasional sweater I had to remove it. We turned our cabin thermostat right down too. The normal dining rules applied re attire but really all was very comfortable. Smart casual in anything but the World cafe, but folks were wearing, blouses and shirts and smart trousers or skirts. I didn't see anyone over or under dressed, no random ballgowns or jeans in the dining rooms!

Outside it really was the absolute extreme! We took lots of layers, thermal undies (including long johns!), and layers of lightweight down, cashmere scarves, hats and gloves and woollen socks with good strong waterproof walking boots. Don't know where in the world you are but Uniqlo sold all at a very competitive price. We remained toasty when out and about. 

We did some optional tours that took us off into the wilds. The companies supplied very heavy snowsuits that were worn on top of what we had taken. At one venue it was -30 and the chill was a bit of a shock. Don't underestimate how cold it can be inland!

It's a fabulous trip, really hope you have a wonderful time!

I haven't gone yet (leaving tomorrow for London for 1/10 departure) but bought 2 electric rechargeable hand warmers on Amazon that I must say rock my world. The brand was called Karecel. I have used the disposable kinds in the past on ski trips but find them weak. I live in Florida and New York, and the Floridian in me cannot tolerate NY in winter. These things recharge and really heat up nicely. Plus, you can use them in reverse as a phone charger if your battery is low. I keep it in my pocket here.