Help ~ Interior or ocean view??

pearle1

Hi all ~ My mom is taking myself, and Sister-in-laws on a New England Cruise Sept 2020 ~ We have currently 2 connecting interior rooms mid ship deck 8 on Carnival Radiance (limited choices as we were on the Mardi Gras, but that cancelled) ~ I noticed there are a few connecting on deck 2 oceanview mid ship (bigger room, couch, etc) ~ I think my mom might like the bigger room, couch, etc ~ but just wondering how it is staying on deck 2 (never stayed on a low deck before)  Any thoughts from people that have stayed there ~ stay deck 8 mid interior, or move deck 2 oceanview ~ thanks very much!

Edited by pearle1
typo

we have stayed on ocean view deck 1 and deck 2. IIRC deck one was a little loud since the storage and working areas were below deck one. Sounded like forklift many nights directly below us. Deck 2 should be quieter. 

The lower decks will just need elevator to head up top. 

I prefer daylight over interior- and would be willing to stay on a lower deck where most OV rooms are versus higher for interior.

It is subjective, but daylight rules for us...

What is above and below you on deck 8???  IF it is not cabins then have a look at deck 2.  Depending on how far forward you are you will hear engine noise or thruster noise or anchor chain if you are dropping anchor (and it is loud very early in the morning). 

Deck 2 is easier for getting back to your cabin after a port, but deck 8 will put you closer to the public decks.

17 minutes ago, pearle1 said:

Hi all ~ My mom is taking myself, and Sister-in-laws on a New England Cruise Sept 2020 ~ We have currently 2 connecting interior rooms mid ship deck 8 on Carnival Radiance (limited choices as we were on the Mardi Gras, but that cancelled) ~ I noticed there are a few connecting on deck 2 oceanview mid ship (bigger room, couch, etc) ~ I think my mom might like the bigger room, couch, etc ~ but just wondering how it is staying on deck 2 (never stayed on a low deck before)  Any thoughts from people that have stayed there ~ stay deck 8 mid interior, or move deck 2 oceanview ~ thanks very much!

We always try to book an OV mid ship lower decks.1 or 2 etc. Thea are the leas bothered by bad weather and mid ship is usually where all the activities so mid ship elevators are right there. During the week and then getting off of the ship on the last day is easier also., When the elevator doors open. There is usually no on on it.

28 minutes ago, pearle1 said:

my family and I always stay on deck 1 or deck 2 ocean view room, much bigger for three adults sharing with the size of your party a connecting room on these decks would be a benefit, the sofa's in some rooms can also be converted to a sofa bed which is very comfortable (if you like a firm mattress like I do) we always have an ocean view room 

• Like 1

Hello all ~ thank you for the feedback ~ But, I just thought of something ~ deck 2 oceanview  ~  above is deck 3 the galley and dining area  ~ Is that usually very noisy , especially at night (with food prep, etc) ?? Thank you all!

Edited by pearle1
spelling error

3 minutes ago, pearle1 said:

Hello all ~ thank you for the feedback ~ But, I just thought of something ~ deck 2 oceanview  ~  above is deck 3 the galley and dining area  ~ Is that usually very noisy , especially at night (with food prep, etc) ?? Thank you all!

It closes down before most go to bed. However, we have been below the dining room and never heard any noise. But we usually do not go to our room before 10 or 11. One place you DO NOT want to be under, the the work out room. On one ship, right above us was a group doing the stair stepper. It scared the heck out of us at 6:30 AM.

If decks and staterooms didn’t have numbers, I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between 2 and 8. More than the deck, I’d check to see what’s above and below the selected stateroom as others have said. 

With that thought, I’d be willing to put up with a less desirable location in order to have a larger ocean view stateroom before I book an inside stateroom. In my humble opinion, I have to be desperate to cruise if I’m even considering an inside stateroom. 😂

Edited by Tapi

Thank you all ~ I appreciate the help ~ I did end up changing to the Oceanview on Deck 2, connecting staterooms ~ It is under the dining room, mid ship ~ I just think the extra space, light, and sofa will be nice ~ especially for my mom.  Thank you!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, pearle1 said:

Thank you all ~ I appreciate the help ~ I did end up changing to the Oceanview on Deck 2, connecting staterooms ~ It is under the dining room, mid ship ~ I just think the extra space, light, and sofa will be nice ~ especially for my mom.  Thank you!

We were on deck two on the sunrise just like the radiance the room was spacious and then natural light is always good if you can

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Under the dining room is very quiet.  I would not book under the galley.  

Over an interior you will gain space, natural light, and a sofa.

When we did our first cruise it was an inside because of price. Wife will never do it again. She wants to see outside. We did balconies and suites. No longer a wast of money for the two of us. We basically never went on the balcony, only to look around. Again, that is us. Leave in the AM. Return to change for the evening. Return for bed in the evening. Other times to change and shower.