is Elation that bad with rocking?

Emmabelle

I was going to book the Elation for July 2, 2020, but then saw lots of reviews saying there was something wrong with the stabilizers?  I usually book cruises for July because the waters are typically calm.  I don't know if people are over reacting or is there really an issue?

It would have more to do with the weather, wind, and waves than anything else. No so much the ship. People are quick to blame the ship in crappy sailing conditions for some reason. People don’t blame an airplane itself when there is bad turbulence . 

We have been it 8 to 10 foot waves on that size and didn't really feel that bad to us. We do always get rooms midship but even when forward or aft only really noticed if walking down a  hall or maybe eating in dining room and looking out the window at the horizon.

We usually cruise on the smaller ships and never had an issue either.  I just saw some reviews on CC where people were saying it was the cruise from hell.  I could care less if the ship looks like Vegas or has some rust.  I just want to make sure it doesn’t have stabilizer problems.

Sailed elation twice in 2019. no noticeable rocking on either cruise. 

in November we were caught in a passing cold front, seas were very rough and all outside decks were closed due to high winds. still minimal rocking. 

I will confirm the weather will cause any ship to rock.

We have found summer cruises calmer than winter when a cold front passes through. Our worst cold front was on splendor just north of Cuba several years ago. Even the crew said it was bad. Barely anyone out of there cabin for most of the day. 

weather happens and every ship will rock...

I was on it in November and two of the days were quite rocky. I didn’t notice it too much until I tried to sleep. A couple of times I felt like I was going to catapult out of bed. We were in room M30. 

People were saying that a stabilizer was down and wasn’t going to be fixed until the dry dock this spring.

I was on the Paradise a few years ago and we had some slight movement but nothing like we experienced on the Elation. Didn’t ruin my trip or anything but didn’t sleep as well as I usually do on a cruise ship. 

As a lifelong sailor, yes wind and sea state effect the motion, but even more the direction the ship is heading. Sailing in following seas are beating (into seas), are not that bad. When you sail perpendicular to the waves, you pitch and roll, feels completely different. 

In 14 cruises we only once had serious rocking that you had to struggle to walk a straight line but there was a previous storm that had caused it.

I’m glad to hear from two recent cruisers that there wasn’t any abnormal rocking!