Traditional Dinning Time Questions - Baltic Cruise

orientodyssey

Hi, plan to travel with family and friends (almost 40 people) on Sky Princess for Baltic Cruise.  Seems traditional dinning is the only way to go if family and friends want to sit and dine together.  Princess now imposes new schedule for traditional dinning - we were given only 2 choices:  Early - 5 p.m., and Late - 7:15 p.m..   We confirmed 7:15 p.m. in view of the docking and shore excursion schedule.

On several threads we read that on Sky the 7:15 p.m. traditional dinning was frequently (or always?) changed to 7:45 p.m. once board.  It might be a little too late for the seniors and youngsters in our group.  But my major concern is that we might miss the show in the main stage.  I don't know whether they put on the same show twice a day - one of the early dinning, and one for the late dinning?  

If the 2nd seating time is indeed 7:45 p.m., we probably won't get out of the dinning room until 9:45 p.m..  Do they do a 2nd show time again at 10 p.m.?

Would really like your input regarding the schedule for dinning / show time if you experienced on the 2nd traditional seating time on Sky, OR on a previous Princess Baltic Cruise.  I believe last couple of years it was Royal or Regal were doing the Baltic cruises.

Thank you all for your kind help and feedbacks! 

I just looked at the Patters from our Baltic cruise on the Regal last year.  Traditional dining for the second seating was at 7:45 and most nights the shows were at 8 and 10. The Beatlemaniacs show was at 7 and 9. I didn't look all of them but that is the info from the first few days.

Shows are timed to fit with the traditional dining times. Despite some people thinking that they are scheduled independently, the Maitre D', Executive Chef, and the Entertainment Director (as well as the rest of the ship's Executive Committee which includes the Captain, Hotel GM, and several others) do meet to make sure the ship's schedule is co-ordinated across departments.

BTW, dining times are also dependent on the market the ship is in. Don't assume the times being used on it in the Caribbean will apply in the Baltic.

• Like 1

Yes, as Istone has said, the dining times are planned to accommodate both traditional dining seatings.  We were on the Baltic Regal in August and the shows were excellent, particularly the Beatlemaniacs.

• Like 1

As others posted, the dining and entertainment times are coordinated.  That said, we managed fine on a Baltic cruise this summer with Early TD.  Except for first formal night, we were okay to be as late as 5:30pm, but we pretty much made it by 5:15pm.

So it looks like on the Baltic sailings, times were 5.15 and 7.45? Not 5 and 7.15 as on my dummy booking? 

I really don’t want times to be different from those I choose! Looks like I will have to go with Anytime, even though I prefer to have a fixed table.

14 minutes ago, marylizcat said:

So it looks like on the Baltic sailings, times were 5.15 and 7.45? Not 5 and 7.15 as on my dummy booking? 

I really don’t want times to be different from those I choose! Looks like I will have to go with Anytime, even though I prefer to have a fixed table.

Sign up for the time that is closest to what you want, and then make a final decision once you are on board.

It is super easy to move from fixed time to anytime.

It is very hard to move from anytime to fixed time.

Late traditional seating always conflicts with evening activities. When a theater show is at 10pm you will have to make certain you are there by at least 9:30 to get a decent seat, especially if you want a few of you to sit together. Sometimes there is an early theater show, show first then dine. Seating for all theater shows is first come first seated*. Most production shows passengers arrive 30 to 45 minutes early. In ports where departure is late evening traditional dining may turn to open seating.

*Sky suite passengers have reserved seating.

3 hours ago, marylizcat said:

Sorry, not what I intended to communicate.  There is easily a 15-minute slack you can use.  So, 5:15 works with NP for a 5pm posted time.  The waiters cannot simultaneously service all their tables with the same thing at the same time. 

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Late traditional seating always conflicts with evening activities. When a theater show is at 10pm you will have to make certain you are there by at least 9:30 to get a decent seat, especially if you want a few of you to sit together. Sometimes there is an early theater show, show first then dine. Seating for all theater shows is first come first seated*. Most production shows passengers arrive 30 to 45 minutes early. In ports where departure is late evening traditional dining may turn to open seating.

*Sky suite passengers have reserved seating.

We have found that 30 minutes works well unless there is a specific seat that you just must have or the show is ruined.