$5 Hub App Texting Question

Sue Goodreds

14 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Thank you, Chaos. Very helpful.

So I immediately put my phone on Airplane Mode when I get on the ship. How do I use the app or is it self-explaining? I have a Samsung Galaxy 10. I assume I can still take pics on Airplane Mode. Everything is changing so fast for me. I'm old (80). 😄

gl, you old fart. I say that with the UTMOST respect and kindness.  I'm 72 myself and had the same doubts as you. But I'll tell you what I did. Bear in mind, we cruised on a 5 day out of Galveston on the Dream, and it was our very first cruise. Ever. It was our 50th wedding anniversary and we were excited. I followed the recommendations exactly, as I don't know this new technology stuff.

1. Download the Carnival HubApp while you are still at home.

2. When you DO get on board, the first thing you do is put it in airplane mode.

3. Open up the HubApp. It will ask you some questions(here is where it gets hazy...I've slept since then)

4. It'll probably ask you for your folio number, or your Carnival booking number. Enter it. 

Then I think you'll be good to go. 

5. If that doesn't work, go to Guest Services. They will be glad to help a senior citizen(like me) to get it set up.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Joe

Edit to add: yes. you can take pictures while logged in. It's in the background.

And for chuckles(my wife will kill me if she finds out I posted this), here is the very, very first 'selfie' I've ever tried to take in my life. I think we were in Cozumel when I did this.

20190729_133236.jpg

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

OMG! I didn't think it would be THAT bad. Any way to delete that????

LOL You're the man, Joe! If by some strange chance our paths were to ever cross on a cruise someday, I'll buy you a drink.

For future reference, we can't delete our own posts, we can just edit them. And I see you've already done that. If you really want it deleted, just report the post and leave a message for the forum Host. Maybe they'll oblige.

Just now, Organized Chaos said:

LOL You're the man, Joe! If by some strange chance our paths were to ever cross on a cruise someday, I'll buy you a drink.

For future reference, we can't delete our own posts, we can just edit them. And I see you've already done that. If you really want it deleted, just report the post and leave a message for the forum Host. Maybe they'll oblige.

Right back atcha buddy! I'd love to sail with you someday. Do you ever sail out of Galveston? Perhaps New Orleans? I think that would be a hoot! 

And I'll be the one buying that pitchers of FunShip Specials! Love that drink. In fact that was the ONLY drink I had on our cruise, except in Cozumel when I had a beer at Margaritaville and a rum punch at Three Amigos. FWIW, I don't social media but wifey does, and she's on the Freedom Group. 

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

Thank you, Chaos. Very helpful.

So I immediately put my phone on Airplane Mode when I get on the ship. How do I use the app or is it self-explaining? I have a Samsung Galaxy 10. I assume I can still take pics on Airplane Mode. Everything is changing so fast for me. I'm old (80). 😄

The only thing I'd say differently than what others have told you is that you don't necessarily have to put your phone in Airplane Mode as soon as you get on the ship. At the homeport, you'll more than likely still have cell service (depending on your carrier and their coverage in that area). If you still wanted to use your phone before sail-away, or if someone happened to call you, you can use it without worry. I always turn on Airplane Mode when we set sail, or shortly before. But by all means, if it makes you more comfortable, do it when you get onboard.

There's a chance that when you do turn on Airplane Mode, you'll then have to turn Wifi back on manually because Airplane Mode will disable it. So if you don't know how, it'd be a good idea to learn. Your camera will not be affected at all by Airplane Mode.

To clarify what Joe said, you'll sign into the Hub app using your Folio number (it's on your S&S card) and your birthday. When you get onboard, open the app and tap "I'm Onboard," then just follow the instructions.

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

There's a chance that when you do turn on Airplane Mode, you'll then have to turn Wifi back on manually because Airplane Mode will disable it. So if you don't know how, it'd be a good idea to learn. Your camera will not be affected at all by Airplane Mode.

To clarify what Joe said, you'll sign into the Hub app using your Folio number (it's on your S&S card) and your birthday. When you get onboard, open the app and tap "I'm Onboard," then just follow the instructions.

Thank you O.C. I knew I'd forgotten something important.

That reminds me of the old Beatles song."I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends."  At times I need all the help I can get. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbethel11 said:

@Joe817

You look great in the photo! 😉

Awwww thank you jbethel11! When I tried to take that photo, the reason for the goofy looks is because we were looking into the sun and trying to see the screen. LOL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Awwww thank you jbethel11! When I tried to take that photo, the reason for the goofy looks is because we were looking into the sun and trying to see the screen. LOL.

Haha! No worries. I know there are things you know how to do better from your day and age! Like these things:

tmp1294_thumb_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Right back atcha buddy! I'd love to sail with you someday. Do you ever sail out of Galveston? Perhaps New Orleans? I think that would be a hoot! 

And I'll be the one buying that pitchers of FunShip Specials! Love that drink. In fact that was the ONLY drink I had on our cruise, except in Cozumel when I had a beer at Margaritaville and a rum punch at Three Amigos. FWIW, I don't social media but wifey does, and she's on the Freedom Group. 

We just sailed out of NOLA for the first time last month. Never been out of Galveston, but we've looked at sailings from there before. As midwesterners, there are no close ports, so we're open to pretty much all of them. NOLA was the closest one we've done so far, if you can call an 11-hour drive close. We drive to our cruises. It's not ideal, and isn't as easy on me as it used to be, but it's much cheaper than flying for us and keeping those costs down is what allows us to cruise. Mobile is about the same as NOLA and Galveston is only a few hours more. Those are a lot better than the 19-20 hour drives we do to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

I've never had one of those FunShip Specials, but I ain't afraid to give it a go. I'm a Miller Lite man myself, but that won't stop me from trying something new. Honestly, I don't do much drinkin' these days. I just about drank myself silly in my younger years (I started pretty young, small town livin') and the desire fizzled out by my mid-20's. But I'll still partake in tipping back a few now & again. Who knows, maybe I'll be strolling around a ship one day and see an older fella struggling to take a selfie. LOL I'll say to myself, that guy looks familiar, where have I seen him before. 😉

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Haha! No worries. I know there are things you know how to do better from your day and age! Like these things:

tmp1294_thumb_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

This is one of the more modern ones from my era . . . I'm used to the ones attached to the wall.

Thanks, Joe, for all great advice. I've already downloaded the hub to my phone and looking forward to inserting the proper information upon boarding.

Yes,  Chaos, I will probably hold off on the Airplane Mode until we leave the port.

You've all made this a very interesting thread for me as I stumble through my twilight years. LOL Getting old is a *****, but the alternative is worse. 😂

Edited by glrounds
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, glrounds said:

This is one of the more modern ones from my era . . . I'm used to the ones attached to the wall.

Thanks, Joe, for all great advice. I've already downloaded the hub to my phone and looking forward to inserting the proper information upon boarding.

Yes,  Chaos, I will probably hold off on the Airplane Mode until we leave the port.

You've all made this a very interesting thread for me as I stumble through my twilight years. LOL Getting old is a *****, but the alternative is worse. 😂

Are you talking about the ones with the little earpiece on the cord? With the two bells on top? My aunt still has their old wall phone like that from when she was a kid. She even remembers their old ring. I believe she said it was long-short-long. And she remembers the rings of a few of their neighbors. And yes, they had that one nosy neighbor on their line who would always listen in to other calls. We opened it up one day and it still has the old battery inside. My grandma wrote the date on it, I guess to know when it needed replaced. I recognized it was her handwriting. My aunt said she'll gladly pass it on to me when she goes and I'm going to proudly hang it on the wall. My childhood phone was the rotary phone like jbethel posted. One day we were walking around an antique store when my son was probably around 10. He walked up to a rotary phone on the shelf and asked what the heck it was. LOL

I know we've gotten off topic a bit, but I hope the Forum Hosts show us some mercy and don't close this thread just yet. We're just having a little fun. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, glrounds said:

I've read that you have to download the app on your phone before you get on the ship. Is that true ? Leaving in 11 days. Anybody recently back from the PANORAMA that knows how well this app works on the PANORAMA ?

I was on the Christmas sailing of the Panorama and WiFi was pretty solid. Of course, I've also recently sailed on the older Inspiration and Imagination, and experienced similar results. Independent of the WiFi, the Hub app itself works well most of the time. I still had to force close and restart it a few times during the cruise, but it's actually much better than it was the first time I cruised in 2016, so they're obviously actively working out any bugs in the app 🙂 

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Are you talking about the ones with the little earpiece on the cord? With the two bells on top?

Yes, I was, however to be honest, we had the "modern" model JBethel posted. We lived in town and most of the wall-attached phones were in farm homes in the country. We also had a private line whereas most of the farmers were on a party line (not to be confused with a Carnival party😁). And its true, you answered the phone based on a series of shorts and long rings. You weren't supposed to listen in on any conversations that weren't YOUR ring . . . . ahemmmmm.

Incidentally, that private line cost $1.50 per month ! Let that roll around in your head for awhile. 😄

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, boobear1 said:

leaving in a couple of days and just want to clarify the hub app.  You download prior to boarding, once onboard pay the $5 for the chat feature.  You don't have to pay for the ships wifi.  Is this correct? 

Right, the Hub app works independently of the paid internet plans. You don't have to buy one to use the app.

1 hour ago, surmy555 said:

Just to clarify it is $5 for the cruise not per day correct?

That's correct, good for the entire cruise.

2 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Yes, I was, however to be honest, we had the "modern" model JBethel posted. We lived in town and most of the wall-attached phones were in farm homes in the country. We also had a private line whereas most of the farmers were on a party line (not to be confused with a Carnival party😁). And its true, you answered the phone based on a series of shorts and long rings. You weren't supposed to listen in on any conversations that weren't YOUR ring . . . . ahemmmmm.

When we li(ved out in the country, 5 miles east of Henrietta(Texas), we were on a party line. With the type of phone jbethel11 posted but hung on the wall. There were 4 families on the party line. It would ring so many times(our was 3 quick rings) followed by a long pause, then repeat. And yes, you could listen into the conversation they were having. All boring as could be for a 14 year old. Sorry for the thread drift Mods, but this is one of the few threads where calm and peace prevail, without infighting or insults, or one upmanship. It's very refreshing. And we thank you for your support.

• Like 2

We will definitely both get the chat feature on our next cruise.  On the last one only my wife did (basically joined at the hip (ala @Red Hat Lady ) which came in handy to book a Carnival excursion when one of our ports changed to Dominica which we had no clue about.

Adding a couple of off topic items if allowed:

@Joe817 I promise to stay off your lawn next time

@Organized Chaos Howdy Midwestern neighbor; obviously from St Louis area myself.  Had to fly to our 1st Carnival cruise out of San Juan & not willing to drive 20 hours to our next one from Miami.  I may yet get my wife to be willing to drive the “short” 11 hours to New Orleans (she did on a friends cruise a few years ago), but more than likely still flying which doesn’t save much over flying anywhere else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

When we li(ved out in the country, 5 miles east of Henrietta(Texas), we were on a party line. With the type of phone jbethel11 posted but hung on the wall. There were 4 families on the party line. It would ring so many times(our was 3 quick rings) followed by a long pause, then repeat. And yes, you could listen into the conversation they were having. All boring as could be for a 14 year old. Sorry for the thread drift Mods, but this is one of the few threads where calm and peace prevail, without infighting or insults, or one upmanship. It's very refreshing. And we thank you for your support.

I had family from Henrietta, but I think they're all gone now. My great great grandparents emigrated from Russia and entered through Galveston. They settled just outside Henrietta. There's still a road named after them.

This is the kind I was talking about that my aunt still has from her childhood. She remembers the lady who always listened in to other calls. Everyone on that line knew she did it. Once in a while, someone would say, "So & so, you there?" and they'd hear a *click*. LOL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmP9EEX3Qc_wmgSqMvnMq

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

Adding a couple of off topic items if allowed:

@Joe817 I promise to stay off your lawn next time

@Organized Chaos Howdy Midwestern neighbor; obviously from St Louis area myself.  Had to fly to our 1st Carnival cruise out of San Juan & not willing to drive 20 hours to our next one from Miami.  I may yet get my wife to be willing to drive the “short” 11 hours to New Orleans (she did on a friends cruise a few years ago), but more than likely still flying which doesn’t save much over flying anywhere else.

I don't mind driving too much. I've actually enjoyed long road trips most of my life, but as the years pass, it's definitely not as easy on me as it used to be. I like flying; although, it's been many years, but my wife doesn't. She's not dead set against flying, just doesn't care for it. We do the math all the time and, even with the cheapest flights we can come up with, it's still cheaper for us to drive. So for now, we make do. When we sail out of the south FL ports, we usually stop overnight at the FL/GA line, then finish up the next day. And we like to arrive the day before the cruise.

• Like 1