$5 Hub App Texting Question

Sue Goodreds

6 hours ago, Sue Goodreds said:

I really appreciate all of the replies to this post.  I've learned a lot!!!  Thank you everyone!

OP, forgive us for taking your thread off topic like we have. I think Joe817 is right, it's nice having a thread that doesn't get so heated, and threads like that don't come along often. At least you've found the information we've posted useful, so some good has come out of our ramblings. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

And yes, you could listen into the conversation they were having. All boring as could be for a 14 year old.

The landline in my house allows one to eavesdrop on the conversation. But in this day and age, no one uses the landline.

7 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

The landline in my house allows one to eavesdrop on the conversation. But in this day and age, no one uses the landline.

Uhhhhhh.....we do! Against the better judgement of my wife and our 2 daughters. I just can't seem to let it go. :classic_mellow:

Just now, jbethel11 said:

I'm sorry. I should have clarified no one in my household.

It is quite prevalent for people to rid themselves of landlines. I guess I'm to old fashioned. And the operative word is 'old'. LOL

No worries, it's all good. 

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I had family from Henrietta, but I think they're all gone now. My great great grandparents emigrated from Russia and entered through Galveston. They settled just outside Henrietta. There's still a road named after them.

This is the kind I was talking about that my aunt still has from her childhood. She remembers the lady who always listened in to other calls. Everyone on that line knew she did it. Once in a while, someone would say, "So & so, you there?" and they'd hear a *click*. LOL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmP9EEX3Qc_wmgSqMvnMq

Oh how I wish there was a way to private message others here on CC. I'd love to continue the conversation.  Any ideas, other than posting email addresses?

58 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Except back then, multiple houses on a road were on the same line. So one person could pick up their phone and listen in to a conversation between two people in two other houses. When I was a kid, once in a while a wire would get crossed somewhere and we could hear two other people having a conversation on our landline, but it was rare.

We finally got rid of our landline a year or two ago. Everyone who called us would call us on our cell phones, so it became more & more unused. Not to mention our phone company charges out the wazoo for landline service.

28 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Oh how I wish there was a way to private message others here on CC. I'd love to continue the conversation.  Any ideas, other than posting email addresses?

You can check my signature below. 😉 But if you don't want to use email, there really isn't another way. I know, I wish they'd activate private messages.

36 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Looking for them on that site we can't say and sending a friend request?

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Not at home, but certainly in business, tough to roll over multiple lines on a cell phone

My oldest (16) has only seen a landline at his great grandparents house. Honestly I am not sure he would know how to use it if he needed to. My youngest (8) has never seen a landline phone. Neither kid has seen a rotary phone ever, to my knowledge.