upgrade beverage package (Booked in the Haven)

Barnos

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has any experience of trying to upgrade the beverage package from premium to premium plus. 

We are lucky enough to be booked in the Haven in a few weeks, and we just spoke to NCL directly to enquire if this was possible. We were told politely, but clearly that no this was not possible and if we wished to take the premium plus beverage package the cost would be approximately £1200 each that's £2400 on top of the price of our cruise!

Quite astonishing to even suggest that. IMHO

The nice chap did say that as we were Haven guests, he felt that  if we raise the issue with our butler/concierge he would quite possibly be able to offer us some form of upgrade..  in other words we pay the difference between the $99 and $128 per day price ... this would seem to be sensible.

... but it's disappointing to be told that we have to wait till we get on the ship before these details can be confirmed.

just wondered if anyone else has encountered this at all – thanks

What are the reasons you have for wanting to upgrade?  I highly suggest just keeping the regular and whenever you want something that is over the limit, just pay the difference.  or get to know your haven bartender, tip him, and hope he won't charge you extra for the premium stuff that isn't included. 

**I've never stayed in the Haven, but I have gotten premium (above the 15.00 limit) alcohol at no charge before.  I just was nice to the bartender, asked for what I wanted, and when I asked for a receipt he waved me off.  But I have also paid for a few upgraded drinks too, a 5.00 charge here and there...much cheaper than paying to upgrade to the premium plus. 

Edited by aubreyc1988

I am not in the Haven but I do have the basic drink package.  I would call again and speak to a different phone rep.

I don't know if UK is different, but here is the upgrade offer from the Vacation Summary page for a nine day cruise.

Upgrade to Premium Plus
Premium Plus Retail Price: $128 pp/day • Upgrade to Premium Plus: $29 pp/day • Gratuities included
Upgrade price
$31320
per person

Thanks for the very quick answers – by way of explanation the main reason for upgrading is to be able to  have a choice of  bottles of wine with a meal. The wine by the glass choice is very good, but if your preferred wine is not sold by the class (which the expensive ones aren't) .. you end up paying full price for a bottle of wine.. and not really feeling the benefit of having a beverage packet at all 😕

I went on my account yesterday to see what the full price would be with tax/grat. to upgrade my

dh and me. 

We are five adults in an H4 and was surprised that it would only let me upgrade

my dh/me (it blocked out the others...my "kids" even though we all have the alcohol package), surprised but happy LOL

It just gave me the price to upgrade, I did not have to pay the full price, just as Sid above states.

50 minutes ago, Barnos said:

Thanks for the very quick answers – by way of explanation the main reason for upgrading is to be able to  have a choice of  bottles of wine with a meal. The wine by the glass choice is very good, but if your preferred wine is not sold by the class (which the expensive ones aren't) .. you end up paying full price for a bottle of wine.. and not really feeling the benefit of having a beverage packet at all 😕

You will also receive a bottle of wine at meals included in the package. (Not every bottle, but a pretty decent selection) Sometimes I would order by the glass with dinner and then take the whole unopened bottle with me afterwards...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, based on the answers I think we've left it too late to upgrade online – I'm not seeing that upgrade in my account pages.

However, based on the answers I'm pretty sure we're going to be able to carry out the upgrade on the first day of the cruise 🙂

happy bunny and looking forward to the cruise🙂

Barnos... if you guys enjoy a good bottle of wine...  (as we do) just bring your own supply.  There are a few threads on the forum about this  - you'll get charged a $15 / bottle uncorking fee when you check in ... you keep the wine in your room and bring with you to dinner as needed.   We have not done this before but plan to on our upcoming June trip (also in the Haven).   

** Also ... given that you'll pay an automatic  20% gratuity on drinks (including wine) ....you'll likely be saving money drinking the wine you enjoy **

Edited by sr71_1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback... much appreciated – we were going to leave it until we got on the ship and check with our butler/concierge but miraculously – after I checked in the offer to upgrade the package for just the $29 per person per day rate appeared!\

So I am a happy cruiser.. knowing I've got my premium plus beverage package secured 🙂

On 1/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, sr71_1 said:

.  There are a few threads on the forum about this  - you'll get charged a $15 / bottle uncorking fee when you check in ... you keep the wine in your room and bring with you to dinner as needed.  .

You don't have to leave it your cabin. NCL will store it and give you a chit where you can claim your bottle at any dining venue or bar.  Even if you don't finish the bottle they will store it for you.

• Like 1