Denali Park, Fly in Bus Out ?

Jimbo

I haven't done this either, but someone recently (in the past few months) posted a trip report - they flew to Katishna and spent 1-2 nights in the lodge and took the park bus out - it sounded wonderful!  If I go back to Denali, I would definitely look into this option or at least the day trip (fly in - bus out in 1 day).  I'm probably in the minority, but our 8 hour bus ride to Eielson Visitor Ctr was only ok.  You're essentially doing the same ride twice and the ride back was a bit boring.  We did see wildlife, but I think a one-way trip would have been preferable.  Plus this gets you further into the park along with potentially amazing aerial views.

Good luck with your decision - if money is no issue, I'd do it!

One thing that you have to be aware of is that flying is weather dependent.  We were supposed to fly out on Kantishna after staying several days at their lodge.  However, the ceilings were low so we had to bus out.  A bummer.

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

One thing that you have to be aware of is that flying is weather dependent.  We were supposed to fly out on Kantishna after staying several days at their lodge.  However, the ceilings were low so we had to bus out.  A bummer.

DON

Good point, esp if you don't have an extra day for a back up plan.

Hopefully the cancellation would come early enough in the day that you can wait for available seats on a bus to Eielson Visitor Center.  Otherwise if you're cancelled AT noon,  it might be difficult to find a seat on the few remaining buses to EVC that afternoon. 

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Good point, esp if you don't have an extra day for a back up plan.

Hopefully the cancellation would come early enough in the day that you can wait for available seats on a bus to Eielson Visitor Center.  Otherwise if you're cancelled AT noon,  it might be difficult to find a seat on the few remaining buses to EVC that afternoon. 

I guess that is a possibility, I asked when I booked what are the chances of the flight be canceled and the lady on the phone, they would be in touch the night before she said out of a 100 day season, they canceled only 5 times last year.

It the chance we are willing to take. Hope we are not the unlucky few who can't take the flight.

5 cancellations, pretty good odds ! 

And even if they cancelled early in the morning, you would have a few hrs to get over to the park to check on bus availability.  If there are only 2 of you, it's not as hard to get seats if you go first thing.  Good luck. It will be a great experience .