Elegant night

CruiserErin

It’s been awhile since I last cruised, so I am curious as to how dressy elegant night now is? I see what the suggestions are, but I am curious as to what most men/boys wear.  It used to be pretty formal back when it was actually called formal night.   Does my hubby need a suit or sport coat or more like a dress shirt and tie?  For my 9 year old son, can he get away with a button down shirt with dress pants and sneakers, or does he really need dress shoes? I don’t want us underdressed and would like to “follow the crowd.”   I know I will see a wide variety.  Thanks!  

We sail in a couple weeks.  I'm not bringing a coat and and actually debating about the tie 🤣. We were just talking about how the norm was to always have a garment bag with a suit and a couple nice dresses but that has changed.  We will still look nice, and take the obligatory over priced pictures!  Your son sounds like he would be a-ok in sneakers.  At that age they may end up being a one time use dress shoe!

On our elegant night, I wore tan slacks, blue button down shirt and a tie. And my dress shoes. Many men just had on slacks and shirts...both short sleeve and long sleeve. Yes, your son can wear what you suggested, and will be just fine. 

I would more consider 'elegant night' as business casual, more than anything else. Hope that helps.

It's pretty much anything but T-Shirts, shorts and flip flops.  Some people dress up while others are more casual with a polo shirt.  Due to my father's medical condition, he wears what's comfortable to him which is button collar shirt, blue jeans and tennis shoes.  Same with the steakhouse restaurant. 

I wear jeans and a polo with tennis shoes. I don't even own a jacket or tie. They will be fine. As SERK said, pretty much anything is fine except a bathing suit. They say "no shorts" but you'll see plenty of shorts on the elegant nights also. 

On Elegant night I wear a long sleeve button down shirt with a tie and nice dress pants and dress shoes.  We dress up for Church on Sundays so I already have dress clothes.    On the casual nights I wear dockers with either a collared polo shirt or a collared Hawaiian button down shirt.  That’s just what WE do.

I’m sure your son will be fine in tennis shoes.

• Like 1

I wore a sport coat to dinner every night in the MDR. I brought two, wore one onto the boat with jeans and my nice shoes, the other packed in suitcase with one pair of nice grey pants and another pair of lighter jeans. Rotate jeans and jackets light/dark brown/blue and nice pants for elegant night, along with a tie that has colors from and matches both sport coats, and 3 colors of dress shirts, and there is no repetition of outfit. The right shade of shoes matches all of the above. 

It takes a little planning, but it’s part of the fun to me. I had a buddy who managed a men’s clothing store so I have a number of jackets, shirts, pants, and ties that were bought on special. I enjoy wearing them. 

When we first started cruising Carnival dh would rent a tux onboard, and I would wear a cocktail dress.  Many years later, dh now dresses in a long-sleeve button down dress shirt and a pair of slacks, and I wear a nice (sequin/bedazzeled) top and a pair of black leggings.  We don't really take pictures anymore, so feel no need to dress to the nines.  My dd wears a nice top, leggings, and black sneakers!!

If my wife gets all dressed up for elegant night (which she does - and enjoys), then coat/dress shirt/tie/slacks and dress shoes is standard for me. Men pretty much have it easy. All we have to do is have a different color shirt & tie and we are set. The rest of the nights I go with slacks and an open collar shirt (sport or polo).

45 minutes ago, pe4all said:

When we first started cruising Carnival dh would rent a tux onboard, and I would wear a cocktail dress.  Many years later, dh now dresses in a long-sleeve button down dress shirt and a pair of slacks, and I wear a nice (sequin/bedazzeled) top and a pair of black leggings.  We don't really take pictures anymore, so feel no need to dress to the nines.  My dd wears a nice top, leggings, and black sneakers!!

We never have done the long dress & tux but I do miss the days when formal was formal on Carnival.  I enjoyed seeing people get dolled up to the nines and stay that way through the evening.  Reminded me of watching Love Boat growing up 😊.  Now most seem to change out of their fancy wear right after dinner or the show.  

I would say 'median' for men is somewhere between slacks/dressy shirt and sport coat, no tie.  Will some folks go 'formal'?  Sure.  Will some push the bottom of the envelope? Sure.

This will be the first Carnival cruise we are doing where I'm NOT bringing a jacket.  Reason: 4 day cruise; avoiding checked luggage.  I have dress slacks and a very nice dry clean only Tommy Bahama.  As has been said, 'Caribbean business casual' is perfectly fine.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:01 AM, wardamnweagle said:

I wore a sport coat to dinner every night in the MDR. I brought two, wore one onto the boat with jeans and my nice shoes, the other packed in suitcase with one pair of nice grey pants and another pair of lighter jeans. Rotate jeans and jackets light/dark brown/blue and nice pants for elegant night, along with a tie that has colors from and matches both sport coats, and 3 colors of dress shirts, and there is no repetition of outfit. The right shade of shoes matches all of the above. 

It takes a little planning, but it’s part of the fun to me. I had a buddy who managed a men’s clothing store so I have a number of jackets, shirts, pants, and ties that were bought on special. I enjoy wearing them. 

That's actually very cool.  In retirement I'd like to invest in a combo like that for our 14+ day cruises.  Not that I'd go jacket every night but agree that it's fun.