Pre Purchase Internet Questions?

I have a few questions and I know you can help me. Going on Mariner again next month. We are Diamond Plus, so get 2 free days. Is that surf and stream or just surf?

Last month was a big hassle, sign up for 24 hours, but had to pay 7.00 each time. When the 24 hrs was up, had to go back down to the desk to do it again. 

So if I just buy a package now, lets say it's 60.00 for 4 days, then on board will I get a credit for being diamond plus? 

I don't mind paying a little more, then don't have to figure out 24 hour usage running around getting it set up, oops have to pay 7.00, just trying to make is simpler.

Yes I need the internet, I run a business and it's the only way for me to cruise every month or so.

Thanks again for your help

The D and D+ internet credits is for surf only. You have to pay to upgrade to stream unless there a special on board offer which was the case last month on our Explorer cruise. When i set up my to end of cruise internet package using my D+ credit I was able to get stream at no extra cost due to a stream special price.

By the way the stream was just as bad, as in slow, as the surf only we got with DW's two days on free surf only internet.

Explorer does not have 0B3 satellite service so if many took up this offer it didn't matter if you had stream as the system couldn't handle the demand.

Edited by robtulipe

I purchased the package on my last cruise, and my wife just used her two 24-hour free D+ internet, plus she could also use my two 24-hour internet, even though I had the surf & stream package.

Free was only for the surf.  Had to pay extra for surf & stream.  Surf was adequate if you only want to download email and/or surf the net.  🍷

15 minutes ago, snl2000 said:

If you wait until you’re onboard, you can get either Surf or Surf & Stream package for the voyage and you’ll get the equivalent of two days discounted off that package price. 

The D+ discount on board is for the cost of two days of surf only internet.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Your free coupons are for stream.

No credit for purchases made pre-cruise.

The credit allowed is equal to two 24 hour periods of surf but you can buy either surf or surf and stream. Obviously, if you buy something that costs more, you are charged the difference. I thought that if you bought surf and stream for your first day, it would still be free, the credit left just wouldn’t be enough to completely pay for another 24 hour period.

Edited by blackshirt

1 hour ago, robtulipe said:

The D+ discount on board is for the cost of two days of surf only internet.

Apologies. That’s what I was tryIng to say but it didn’t come out right. That’s what I get for trying to post while at work. You can get either package and you’ll get a discount equal to 2 days of Surf (2 days for D+, 1 day for D).

You need to weigh up the cost of prepurchasing vs buying on board 

I paid $9.99 pd in my planner and the onboard cost is $17.99. Therefore it was far cheaper to prebuy and not use the discount  against the on board package.

Edited by little britain

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Therefore it was far cheaper to prebuy and not use the discount  against the on board package.

The problem is that somewhat recently RCI has made the on board pricing dynamic so you don’t really know what to compare against. 

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The problem is that somewhat recently RCI has made the on board pricing dynamic so you don’t really know what to compare against. 

I’ll have a friendly wager with you that outta Southampton it ain’t going to be $9.99 onboard 😆 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I’ll have a friendly wager with you that outta Southampton it ain’t going to be $9.99 onboard 😆 

Agree knowing Southampton departures it will probably be double that.

Everything always seems more expensive when departing from there.

At least the the $ rate is slowly improving for us.

While in Europe (or at least some parts of Europe) VAT is also charged for Voom plans but the daily credits for CAS D and D+ levels is adjusted upwards to cover the additional VAT they have to charge on board.

When Oasis first came back to the U.S. following her summer in Barcelona and dry dock the CAS letters offered a $53.98 discount compared to the normal $45.98 discount.   They had forgotten to update the CAS offer letters to remove the VAT which doesn't apply in the U.S.