Quarantined - need suggestions

kathyemma

My poor baby girl is on her first cruise without me and she got the flu.  She has been quarantined to her room.  She is a mess.  I wish I was with her.  In the past I have read that you can get movies for free if you are quarantined.  Is that true?  She does have insurance thru the cruise line - do you know if she can get reimbursed for days when she is quarantined?  Thankfully she got the flu shot, so hopefully it won't be a horrible case and they got her started on Tamiflu.  

Kathy

Your poor daughter! How old is she? I had strep last week and all I could think of is that next year I will be on a cruise for New Years and soooo hope I am not sick like I was this year it was awful 😞 

Hope she feels better asap!!! 

6 minutes ago, Jeni99 said:

Your poor daughter! How old is she? I had strep last week and all I could think of is that next year I will be on a cruise for New Years and soooo hope I am not sick like I was this year it was awful 😞 

Hope she feels better asap!!! 

21!  It is her and 3 girlfriends.  I feel so bad for her.  Today they are in Belize and she has never been there.  She is so mad she is missing it.

28 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I am sorry your daughter came down with the flu on her cruise.  My granddaughter came down with it quite suddenly just before Christmas.  The good news is she was feeling better within 48 hours.  Your daughter may be able to enjoy a few days.

I am hoping she will be better by tomorrow.  I wish I was there.  I can guarantee you it will be a LONG time before she goes on a cruise without me!!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your daughter's bad luck. Maybe have one of her friends go to Guest Services and ask about the free movies. Or anything she can get to help pass the time, for that matter.

We were on the Valor last month and evidently someone brought the flu bug with them. I caught it, but luckily didn't start showing symptoms until debarkation day. We had an 11-hour drive home and I got progressively worse as the day went on, but thankfully my fever didn't hit until we were almost home. That laid me up for over a week.

Check out this link to see the coverage of Carnival's insurance. Their policy is underwritten by Nationwide. Scroll down to "Valid for departures on or after September 1, 2018:" and choose your daughter's home state to view coverage specific for her. They cover medical expenses from a sickness, but it doesn't look like there's any compensation for missing days due to illness (without incurring any additional expenses). https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

Sorry to hear about your daughter's bad luck. Maybe have one of her friends go to Guest Services and ask about the free movies. Or anything she can get to help pass the time, for that matter.

We were on the Valor last month and evidently someone brought the flu bug with them. I caught it, but luckily didn't start showing symptoms until debarkation day. We had an 11-hour drive home and I got progressively worse as the day went on, but thankfully my fever didn't hit until we were almost home. That laid me up for over a week.

Check out this link to see the coverage of Carnival's insurance. Their policy is underwritten by Nationwide. Scroll down to "Valid for departures on or after September 1, 2018:" and choose your daughter's home state to view coverage specific for her. They cover medical expenses from a sickness, but it doesn't look like there's any compensation for missing days due to illness (without incurring any additional expenses). https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/CCL_Landing.html

Thank you!  I will check the link.

From reading other posts over the years I knew free movies and free room service *should* be offered.  I told her to call guest services before ordering anything.  They told her nothing was free.  She freaked.  They spoke to a manager and yes, all will be free.  Of course they have to be free!  Especially room service!

I just got off the phone with her - she just ordered some tea, soup and ginger ale.  I hope she sleeps the rest of the day and feels better tomorrow.

Kathy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kathyemma said:

She does have insurance thru the cruise line - do you know if she can get reimbursed for days when she is quarantined?

I've compared numerous travel and cruise insurance policies over the years and have never seen one that would reimburse a portion of cruise fare if you got sick or quarantined once the travel started.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeni99 said:

Please come back tomorrow and let us know if she is feeling better. To be 21, on a cruise and stuck in bed sucks! 😞

I will!  She is asleep now.  When she gets up she can sit on the balcony and drink some frozen drinks.  They are having a golden girls trivia contest this afternoon.  She is mad she can't go.  We are actually going on The Golden Girls cruise next month!  She would have killed at trivia!!

Kathy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kathyemma said:

I will!  She is asleep now.  When she gets up she can sit on the balcony and drink some frozen drinks.  They are having a golden girls trivia contest this afternoon.  She is mad she can't go.  We are actually going on The Golden Girls cruise next month!  She would have killed at trivia!!

Kathy

There is a Golden Girls cruise!!!?? I watch atleast two episodes a day! Drinking out of my golden girls mug right now! How did I not know about this! Is it Carnival? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeni99 said:

There is a Golden Girls cruise!!!?? I watch atleast two episodes a day! Drinking out of my golden girls mug right now! How did I not know about this! Is it Carnival? 

It is on celebrity!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/golden-girls-cruise-2020/index.html

They have one scheduled for next year too! 

29 minutes ago, Jeni99 said:

Here is info on the cruise next year.

https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/dC2xlTVhd4m8M2j2ydBJrdReq?fbclid=IwAR1Wmg5O4FQEqvOVAQjKiYZnpQJu4vm2pePL8Uqp2ZzMLk_L2IHCD1zxsFA

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

Poor kid.  This is why people don't go to medical.  I got a really bad cold last cruise, no flu.  I self medicated enough to make it.  But it was not my best cruise.  Sorry for your daughter, hopefully she will be better soon.

yeah - she was pissed.  but that was the only way to get tamiflu!  i really hope she is better tomorrow.  by the time the ship docks she will have had 3 doses of tamiflu - and she did the vaccine.  I am sure she would be a lot worse if she didn't get it.

Kathy

If she has had the flu shot, I am betting she probably has the Norovirus and not the flu.  I doubt the trip insurance would cover the time she's just stuck in her room but if she wanted to fly home she might look into that. 

3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

If she has had the flu shot, I am betting she probably has the Norovirus and not the flu.  I doubt the trip insurance would cover the time she's just stuck in her room but if she wanted to fly home she might look into that. 

She does not have Noro.  She is not having any stomach issues - which is rare for her since she has gastroparesis.  She had a "fever" 99, so I wouldn't call it a fever but they did and she just felt like crap.   She is already feeling better.

Kathy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Poor kid.  This is why people don't go to medical.  I got a really bad cold last cruise, no flu.  I self medicated enough to make it.  But it was not my best cruise.  Sorry for your daughter, hopefully she will be better soon.

Are you saying that if you do have the flu you shouldn't go to medical because they will quarantine you?  

3 minutes ago, kathyemma said:

She does not have Noro.  She is not having any stomach issues - which is rare for her since she has gastroparesis.  She had a "fever" 99, so I wouldn't call it a fever but they did and she just felt like crap.   She is already feeling better.

Kathy

Can she just leave? How long is she quarantined?  

My husband got noro on a cruise and we were both quarantined for 24 hours.  I did not get sick.  We flew out at the next port. 

I had food poisoning on my last cruise but I did not go to the ship Dr. My husband is a physician and it was pretty obvious what I had and no way was I risking getting quarantined over something that wasn't even contagious.

Edited by Eli_6

4 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

Are you saying that if you do have the flu you shouldn't go to medical because they will quarantine you?  

Just stating what I have seen, Carnival sometimes takes those quarantines too seriously. I have seen them quarantine people who just ate something that didn't agree with them or drank too much.  

Edited by Banditswife
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Just stating what I have seen, Carnival sometimes takes those quarantines too seriously. I have seen them quarantine people who just ate something that didn't agree with them or drank too much.  

The only time we went to a ship Dr (on NCL), he was terrible and he had only done one year of internship and not a full residency.  I think that's legal to get a license to practice medicine, but it's certainly not the norm in the United States where even a family practice doctor does 3 years of residency.

4 hours ago, kathyemma said:

I am hoping she will be better by tomorrow.  I wish I was there.  I can guarantee you it will be a LONG time before she goes on a cruise without me!!

I understand your worry, but need I remind you that she is an adult and can most likely go wherever she wants without having her mom with her? I know. Your worried, but she will be fine. As a mom who has raised 5 children, and have grandchildren the same age as your daughter that actually went to Fiji and Cuba on their own with friends, she will be fine. I actually caught influenza on a cruise 2 years ago, and after a few days of Tamiflu, I was fine. But I didn’t start to show symptoms until debarkation day, so no quarantine for me. By the time I arrived home that night, I had a fever of 104. No fun. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I understand your worry, but need I remind you that she is an adult and can most likely go wherever she wants without having her mom with her? I know. Your worried, but she will be fine. As a mom who has raised 5 children, and have grandchildren the same age as your daughter that actually went to Fiji and Cuba on their own with friends, she will be fine. I actually caught influenza on a cruise 2 years ago, and after a few days of Tamiflu, I was fine. But I didn’t start to show symptoms until debarkation day, so no quarantine for me. By the time I arrived home that night, I had a fever of 104. No fun. 

Oh I know - but she doesn't!!!  She is the one that hates leaving me.  But she does leave me to follow Harry Styles around the world and always survives.  I am really hoping the tamiflu works and she can get off the ship tomorrow.  I had the flu in 2002.  No tamiflu. It was horrible.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Norovirus and influenza are two totally different illnesses. Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness, and influenza is a respiratory illness. I highly doubt the ship Dr would prescribe Tamiflu if she was exhibiting GI symptoms. Totally different animals. Too many people mislabel a GI illness (gastritis) as flu. It is not. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Norovirus and influenza are two totally different illnesses. Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness, and influenza is a respiratory illness. I highly doubt the ship Dr would prescribe Tamiflu if she was exhibiting GI symptoms. Totally different animals. Too many people mislabel a GI illness (gastritis) as flu. It is not. 

Yep. Too many people think of the words "stomach flu" when it is not.

Edited by amyotravel