Quarantined - need suggestions

kathyemma

22 minutes ago, kathyemma said:

Oh I know - but she doesn't!!!  She is the one that hates leaving me.  But she does leave me to follow Harry Styles around the world and always survives.  I am really hoping the tamiflu works and she can get off the ship tomorrow.  I had the flu in 2002.  No tamiflu. It was horrible.

I know exactly what you mean - my daughter is 32 years old and recently married.  When she is really sick, she still wants her mom.  There's something about having your mother with you when you're really sick.  I am over 60 and lost my mom a few years ago - I always miss her, but if I'm sick, I really, really miss her.  I know you're not saying she can't do anything without you, she'd just love to have you there to "comfort" her.

Guess we should be thankful that our daughters still need us (lol).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sc4125 said:

I know exactly what you mean - my daughter is 32 years old and recently married.  When she is really sick, she still wants her mom.  There's something about having your mother with you when you're really sick.  I am over 60 and lost my mom a few years ago - I always miss her, but if I'm sick, I really, really miss her.  I know you're not saying she can't do anything without you, she'd just love to have you there to "comfort" her.

Guess we should be thankful that our daughters still need us (lol).

Exactly!  And I wish I was there to take care of her!

Kathy

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Just stating what I have seen, Carnival sometimes takes those quarantines too seriously. I have seen them quarantine people who just ate something that didn't agree with them or drank too much.  

Oh, okay I get it.  I thought you were saying that if you have the flu, you should fake it and not see the doctor.  I have heard of the doctor being a little too liberal when handing down the quarantine order.  I guess if you're sick enough to go to the doctor and you're throwing up, they have to assume you may have the norovirus.  Knock on wood, I've never had to visit the doctor on any ship.

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

If she has had the flu shot, I am betting she probably has the Norovirus and not the flu.  I doubt the trip insurance would cover the time she's just stuck in her room but if she wanted to fly home she might look into that. 

Hi

So, she is quarantined because it was felt she may be contagious, and you are suggesting flying home might be a good idea. ???

• Like 2

I have been quarantined twice while on cruises.  Most recently I had insurance and it did cover the one day I missed of the cruise.  I was not insured by the cruise line but with another company.  I used to get sick on EVERY cruise I went on until I started cruising Carnival.  I have never been sick on one of their ships!

3 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

So, she is quarantined because it was felt she may be contagious, and you are suggesting flying home might be a good idea. ???

Poster had not clarified she was not that sick.

If she had been seriously ill, the ship does not have adequate medical facilities for her. Neither does Belize. Hence, why I flew my husband home as was the ship's physician's recommendation.  

4 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Norovirus and influenza are two totally different illnesses. Norovirus is a gastrointestinal illness, and influenza is a respiratory illness. I highly doubt the ship Dr would prescribe Tamiflu if she was exhibiting GI symptoms. Totally different animals. Too many people mislabel a GI illness (gastritis) as flu. It is not. 

I know they are different. Certain strains of the flu can absolutely cause nausea, particularly in children. I had it in my mind her daughter was a child and not an adult.  http://www.virology.ws/2009/05/05/influenza-and-gastrointestinal-symptoms/

Frankly, I thought if one had received the mist vaccine recently, a Dr wasn't supposed to prescribe Tamiflu anyway.  

Edited by Eli_6

I don't know what they offered him, if anything. I do know they didn't charge him for the medical visit!  He loved telling that story!

my daughter is getting ready to go to bed.  I told her to call down to room service and get some hot tea and orange juice.  The lady who answered the phone wasn't going to bring her orange juice.  She ask my daughter "are you sure you should be drinking orange juice"? Ugh. I can only assume they think she has  noro and not the flu.  I hope they bring it. I always makes her feel better when she's sick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Can she just leave? How long is she quarantined?  

My husband got noro on a cruise and we were both quarantined for 24 hours.  I did not get sick.  We flew out at the next port. 

I had food poisoning on my last cruise but I did not go to the ship Dr. My husband is a physician and it was pretty obvious what I had and no way was I risking getting quarantined over something that wasn't even contagious.

Can she leave her cabin?  Not if she has been quarantined by medical.  They will put crew outside the door if needed.  

So sorry to here about your daughter.  I am sure it is one bummer of a vacation. 

Out of curiosity.  They just quarantine the individual with the symptoms?  What about their cabin mates?  They are hosts and carriers even when they are not exhibiting symptoms.  

2 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

So sorry to here about your daughter.  I am sure it is one bummer of a vacation. 

Out of curiosity.  They just quarantine the individual with the symptoms?  What about their cabin mates?  They are hosts and carriers even when they are not exhibiting symptoms.  

Her roommate, was free to come and go as she wished.  She hasn't had the flu vaccination (my daughter did in October).  I hope she is lucky and doesn't get it.  They gave my daughter Tamiflu.  They should had given some to the roommate as well.  It also helps prevent the flu.  When my daughter was living in the dorms her roommate got the flu an my daughter took her to ER.  The ER docs gave my daughter meds to take to help prevent her from getting it.

Kathy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acheavacci said:

Slight correction. The roommate isn't a carrier unless she caught the virus. If she didn't, she's not a carrier or a threat to anyone.

1 minute ago, Jeni99 said:

Thank you for updating and SOOOOO glad she made the tour! She looks so happy now!!! Hope the rest of her trip is so magical she forget the 24 hours in bed! ❤️ 

Thank you! I hope so too!!  I was happy to see the smile on her face this morning!!

Kathy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bibble said:

I love that smile!!!!  That little sloth just made the world right with her 🙂

It really did!  Now I need to go and hold one!!!  After this the monkey jumped on her head!!  She is a having a good day.  

Kathy

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kathyemma said:

She does not have Noro.  She is not having any stomach issues - which is rare for her since she has gastroparesis.  She had a "fever" 99, so I wouldn't call it a fever but they did and she just felt like crap.   She is already feeling better.

Kathy

her temp was 99 and they quarantined her?   Did they do an actual flu test?  I am not sure how that all works as I have never actually had the flu (knock on wood, never the vaccine for it and I am 52).  

I have had colds in the past where I just feel like crap, but take advil or Tylenol and it takes care of the symptoms, I know I have had fevers with those.

I cant imagine that I would go to the dr for that though...what made her go to the med center on board?   

Hope the rest of her cruise goes well!!

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Can she leave her cabin?  Not if she has been quarantined by medical.  They will put crew outside the door if needed.

7 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

her temp was 99 and they quarantined her?   Did they do an actual flu test?  I am not sure how that all works as I have never actually had the flu (knock on wood, never the vaccine for it and I am 52).  

I have had colds in the past where I just feel like crap, but take advil or Tylenol and it takes care of the symptoms, I know I have had fevers with those.

I cant imagine that I would go to the dr for that though...what made her go to the med center on board?   

I think she said her daughter wanted Tamiflu was why she went.

I agree that 99 does not seem that high. They don't even send kids home from school at my kids' private school until they reach 100.3.  (Although, if my kid feels sick, I ask that they call me anyway.) Granted, children do seem to run much higher temps than adults.  

11 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

They quarantined for two reasons - one, she told them she took Tylenol so they knew that reduced her fever some and two, she tested positive for the flu.  And really, she didn't mind too much being quarantined b/c she felt like crap yesterday.  I told her to go to the ships doctor.  I didn't think she had the flu and I didn't think she would get locked in her room!  I thought she just picked up a bad cold.  Last cruise she got a nasty ear infection that required rx drugs.  I didn't want her to wait and have her get worse.

She had a great day today! 

Tomorrow they are booked for Sting Ray city!

Kathy  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

If she is out and about, feeling better (yeah!), the vaccine and TamiFlu helped. otherwise she would still be felling awful

Exactly - without those two things she would be passed out on the bed all week.  She is exhausted after running around today and is heading to the room to take a nap.  But she is SO MUCH better today!!!

Kathy 

• Like 1