British Isles Explorer Timing....

We will be flying to Oslo for the extended two days before taking the Viking train excursion from Oslo to Bergen.  Does anyone have information on the timing going from Oslo to Bergen and then boarding Jupiter?  My understanding is that the train takes about 7 hours depending on length of stops.  I'm wondering what time the excursion departs.  If we leave on the 8 AM train we would get to Bergen in the afternoon, but if it departs later we would not board until evening.  Any ideas or information on that?

We took the train this summer for "Icelands Majestic Landscape". I don't have the papers with me but the train leaves around 8:30am, you get into Bergen around 3pm and board shortly after. It is not a long ride from the station. We did it all on our own and took a cab from the station. Arrived at the Ship way before the Viking bus. We were on the same train as the Viking pre-cruise excursion.

We did this extension two years ago.  Efforts to find out this information ahead of time were unsuccessful.  Our experience was that the group took the later morning train, arriving to board the ship in time for dinner.  This was before the Tellus folks were available, I think, so you might try them.  There will be a Viking rep at your hotel with lots of information.  But like you, we would like to have known more details of the time in Oslo sooner so we could make our own plans.  One more hint:  we did not have assigned seats on the train,  just two dedicated cars.  Boarding was sort of every man for himself.  You’ll have vouchers for lunch.  The food was surprisingly edible - good pizza!

Thanks everyone for the help!  Geosez, I read that we would have a Viking rep at the hotel and I am sure that will be a great help.  It appears that there will be plenty to do in Oslo, and all pretty easy to do on foot.  I hear the Thon Opera is an experience all on it's own! 

We did a one hour tour of the Oslo Opera House that was very interesting.  It’s a beautiful building and you can walk up on the roof for a nice view of the harbor.  We also went to the Nobel Peace Museum and military fortress.  The main shopping/restaurant street is Karl Johans Gate.  All within easy walking distance from the Thon Opera hotel.  Have fun!

12 hours ago, retiredman said:

I hope this doesn't sound too weird but, the bathrooms in the Opera house are unbelievable!

The Viking museum is a can't miss and the Kon Tiki museum is within walking distance of it. Both very interesting.

Excellent bathrooms on tour are ALWAYS a good thing. Never fear posting about that! 🙂