Shore excursions on Mediterranean Cruises

TowandaUK

Hi there. We are thinking of booking with Viking for the first time having previously been with Celebrity. We like the way so much is included from the outset so you can more easily see the cost of the cruise. 
My question is about the included excursions. I’m not totally used to the site yet but when I try to get details of excursions I only seem to get details of panoramic coach trips. Is that the only type of included trip or is there a broader choice? We would like a mixture of coach/walking tours and free time. 
Many thanks 

In each port, Viking offers one specific excursion designated as the included excursion, and several other optional excursions available for a fee. While a very few may be predominately panoramic bus excursions ( I think the included one in Rome is almost all a bus tour), in my experience most of them are a combination of a bus tour, a walking portion, and some time on your own. Barcelona, for instance, combines all three, while Monte Carlo is all walking. You really need to read the full description of the included excursion to know what is involved. ( On the page for a particular cruise, select the itinerary tab, click Read More for each port, scroll down to the excursions, and then click on the included excursion for the full description.) 

On our three cruises, we have done mostly included excursions with a couple optional ones on each trip, and have been very happy with our experience. Though I have only cruised with Viking, I believe that most of the optional excursions are moderately priced, but a few of the real specialty ones can be more expensive.

• Thanks 1

The included tours are meant to be an overview. If things are close, like in Stavanger, Bergen, Split, Allborg the description will say walking tour.  In some ports there is a walking tour but you have to be transported to the starting place, as in Dubrovnik and Venice.  Sometimes the panoramic are just that and sometimes there are stops to get out for pictures or an attraction like Helsinki, Stockholm and those sights are probably listed in the description  The included excursion to Berlin is 12 hours--3 hours on train each way then 1. hour bus tour with a couple of stops and then about 4 hours on your own.  So read the description carefully and you will probably get a good idea. 

• Thanks 1