Safes missing in NCL ships?

bjay3

5 minutes ago, jaja said:

Maybe they are waiting to order new ones with a "coin slot" for payment to use 😃 ...😂

Hush, Jan ... don't give this new COO or FDR any more funny ideas to grab those extra dollars for future cruises.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hush, Jan ... don't give this new COO or FDR any more funny ideas to grab those extra dollars for future cruises.   

😁🤣

Sorry Henry !!!!!!!!!  Could not resist !😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

It should be a simple drop-in replacement, with the old mini-safe already taken out - an easy job.  Put in the new one (should be pre-tested, fresh battery, etc.) and secure the 2 or 4 locking bolts thur the anchor holes to the back/bottom, tightly.  A quick test to confirm proper installation, sign-off their log & move on to the next cabin ... 10 to 20 minutes, at most.  

The Gem alone has 1,200 cabins.  1,200 times 20 minutes each is a total of 24,000 minutes or 400 man-hours.  Working 10 hours a day, it would take 40 straight days to change them all out... and it would require two security personnel as it cannot be done alone.

Something tells me it was a somewhat logical decision to yank 400 old safes (so people wouldn't start using them in the middle of trying to swap them out) and then start installing the new ones.  I personally would have estimated the number that could be done during a single sailing and limit the yank-and-replace quantity to that many but who knows what's in the mind of those managing the ship.   😀

I'm sorry.  We're are responsible for one of those safes not working. 

If you forget the code... or someone accidentally punched a different code in while locking it and didn't notice  and doesn't know which numbers they used, then you can't open it. 

It is not a simple fix. They must drill the safe open which then renders it useless. A new one needs to be installed.  Obviously they don't stock extras safes. We were on the Dawn in September,  that safe is probably still unusable. 

1 hour ago, MrsK said:

If you forget the code... or someone accidentally punched a different code in while locking it and didn't notice  and doesn't know which numbers they used, then you can't open it. 

It is not a simple fix. They must drill the safe open which then renders it useless. A new one needs to be installed.  Obviously they don't stock extras safes. We were on the Dawn in September,  that safe is probably still unusable. 

1 hour ago, MrsK said:

On the Dawn last year our safe was left closed by the previous guests with their code. A supervisor came up and put a security default code in and it was opened and working in minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrsK said:

Incorrect.

Ship security can get into any and all safes.  If you miss the ship at port, ship security will try to locate your passports, including looking in the safes so that they can provide them to the Port Agent.  They do not drill holes, but either have a master key or a master code to get into them.  

• Like 2

Just now, imacruiser99 said:

Ship security can get into any and all safes.  If you miss the ship at port, ship security will try to locate your passports, including looking in the safes so that they can provide them to the Port Agent.  They do not drill holes, but either have a master key or a master code to get into them.  

Exactly.  Similarly, if the battery in the safe dies, they have to come in and use a master key or code to open the safe. (We’ve experienced that.)  No drilling! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrsK said:

As others have said...this is not correct.  Security can come and open the safe with their code and then it can be reset as needed by current occupant.  I have had to have this done when previous pax left the safe locked and I could not open.  Simple fix once someone is there to do it.

When we discovered the safe was shut by previous guest I went to guest services and was told someone would not be able to fix the problem until the next day. I was not thrilled about this. Went back to the cabin and told our steward and he got on his radio and the supervisor was there in 5 minutes ti fix it. He was a great steward.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 6:29 PM, imacruiser99 said:

They do not drill holes, but either have a master key or a master code to get into them.  

Well, that's interesting because I stood right there and watched them do it.  Two men came to the cabin one to observe and one with a drill.  The one man most definitely did drill a hole in to the door of the safe in order to open it.  It took them quite some time to get it done

We were told it was the only way to get in to that safe (maybe they are not all the same?) I was not expecting that, I was expecting that they had some sort of key or code but that was not the case with our particular safe. 

I felt bad about it because I was told it ruined the safe but it was unfortunately it was necessary since our passports and wallets were inside.

So maybe you were told that they don't drill safes to open them but they most definitely did with ours.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, jaja said:

As others have said...this is not correct.  Security can come and open the safe with their code and then it can be reset as needed by current occupant.  I have had to have this done when previous pax left the safe locked and I could not open.  Simple fix once someone is there to do it.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, Love my butler said:

Incorrect.

It definitely was correct in our case.  I have no reason to lie about it.  I stood right there and watched the procedure.

Perhaps it depends on the type of safe that is in the cabin but the one we had was left with a small drill hole right thru the door.

I went back thru my pictures and found these. 

I thought I might have taken a couple of pictures at the time. 

This was on the Dawn Canada/New England cruise August 31, 2019

20190909_093429.jpg

20190909_094520.jpg

Edited by MrsK
put August 32 instead of August 31

3 hours ago, MrsK said:

I went back thru my pictures and found these. 

I thought I might have taken a couple of pictures at the time. 

This was on the Dawn Canada/New England cruise August 31, 2019

20190909_093429.jpg

20190909_094520.jpg

I am sure in some very rare cases a safe might have to be drilled.  It is not the norm.  The safes are not designed to be drilled in case of a malfunction.  It's just common sense.

6 hours ago, Love my butler said:

I am sure in some very rare cases a safe might have to be drilled.  It is not the norm.  The safes are not designed to be drilled in case of a malfunction.  It's just common sense.

I never said that it was normal and that all the safes fleet wide were like that because, as a Platinum Plus cruiser, I am well aware that they are not.  I was only reporting on our experience with one particular safe on one particular ship.

• Like 3

I should have paid better attention, but I was on the GEM a little over a year ago.  My cabin had the older safe, which was glitchy.  Security came a couple of times to get it open as one of the keys stopped working.  They ended up pulling the whole safe and putting another one in while I was on an excursion.

They warned me in advance and offered to have the contents of the safe put into the safe at the Customer Service counter while they replaced it....which I did.  Thought that was a nice gesture.

While the GEM itself is a great ship, and they keep it in top-top shape, I think the safes on some of the safes on the older ships do indeed need to be replaced.  Good that they are doing so.