cost of a soda, virgin pina colada, etc. (ie is the soft drink package worth it)?

outatouch0

Hi all, 

Another question. I am trying to determine if it would be worth it to buy the soft drink package for family of 2 adults, 2 kids. I am thinking it would be more economical to purchase 1-2 drinks per day but there is no way to know this without knowing what they charge onboard for a soda, specialty coffee, virgin pina colada, etc. I am actually unsure if the soft drink package includes specialty coffee and virgin mixed drinks?

I sincerely appreciate all of the help you have given me.

thanks

A can of soda is a bit over $2.  Bubbles is $8/day  basically three cans of soda and a bit.

You can bring your a 12pack of cans onboard at embarkation and from any port.

Edited by SadieN

Soft drinks are $2.50. Three sodas and the Bubbles package is worthwhile. Not ‘cost’ related is the intrinsic value that our kids found in being able to just order a drink when they wanted one. Last cruise we had 4 kids in our group that found two servers in the Atrium that were always excited to see them

coming. They’d spot them in the elevator and start pouring for them. We later found out she had young kids at home that she was of course missing. It became a regular stop on our way to the show at night. 

Another upside is that if you have a set dinning time it’s not uncommon to have the soda sitting there or on its way as service starts. 

It gives the kids a little sense of ‘freedom’ at a set price. They pour the can into a glass so it isn’t a full can each serving. 

Our kids don’t drink all that

much soda at home, but it’s a vacation so things are of course different on the ship! 

Edited by jdcml
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting the pricing. I'm considering getting the package for my cruise next month. I normally would carry on a 12 pack or order the 12 pack to be delivered to my cabin. When I cruised with my late husband I drank more alcohol but without him I find i don't drink much alcohol and drink more soda.

I am also wondering has anyone had sucess getting an unopened can of soda from the bar? I know that they are supposed to open then and pour them but I like having a Diet Pepsi when I first wake up in the morning. I don't drink coffee so that is my morning caffeine. I'd like to be able to pick up a can from a bar the day before so that it's in my cooler for the morning. I know I could just carry on a 12 pack, and I still might but I'd rathe  not hassle with it and besides, if I have the soda package then I'd be more likely to get my moneys worth out of it. 

Edited by HeidiHo

6 hours ago, HeidiHo said:

I am also wondering has anyone had sucess getting an unopened can of soda from the bar? 

I didn't ask for them specifically, but on our last cruise, after the rooms were ready I went down to the lobby on Valor and got my wife's bubbles sticker while I charged one for myself. (I'm usually happy just getting one or two and sticking with the free options.) The bartender just filled our glasses with ice and handed us two cans. I may be mistaken, but once or twice they may have also given her the diet Coke can. I think if we asked they may have suddenly become sticklers for the rules though.

Edited by Buckimion

Bubbles package orders are supposed to be "by the glass"

When you purchase a soda a la carte at menu price, it is by the can.

I too have had luck having bartenders give me the can with a Bubbles order, but YMMV. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Virgin drinks like a Shirley Temple are not included in Bubbles.

Edited by mz-s

19 hours ago, HeidiHo said:

I am also wondering has anyone had sucess getting an unopened can of soda from the bar? I know that they are supposed to open then and pour them but I like having a Diet Pepsi when I first wake up in the morning. I don't drink coffee so that is my morning caffeine. I'd like to be able to pick up a can from a bar the day before so that it's in my cooler for the morning. I know I could just carry on a 12 pack, and I still might but I'd rathe  not hassle with it and besides, if I have the soda package then I'd be more likely to get my moneys worth out of it. 

In the past - and of course everything is different on every ship and every sailing - in the MDR when our kids ordered a soda they brought the entire can and it was on the table before we got there. I would guess that the bar server in the MDR could easily provide another towards the end of your meal that you could then take with you. I wouldn’t be surprised if on the second day you had two sitting at your table when you arrive!

On 1/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, HeidiHo said:

Hanging out at a certain bar and being a regular tiper for certain bartenders can help out with that situation

Michael