Facing South Florida - Carnival Pollution

BNBR

There was an excellent discussion about the issues facing Carnival with their deliberate pollution activities and environmental damage.  For anyone not familiar with the story, it's pretty interesting.  Have to admit, it's much worse than I originally understood.

You can watch the segment here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cruise-Crazy said:

Well, they eliminated plastic straws. 

I guess that will be slightly less plastic that they get busted discharging in to Bahamian waters...

41 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you have been paying attention, this is old news that has been reported countless times in the media. This issue is not unique to Carnival in the cruise industry and is not an issue that is going away any time soon. 

It's not old news.  They were just back in court.  Try watching the segment....

This was a story from this morning I posted, because it's relevant.  Jim's first show of the new year.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

That video shows a lot more then any discussions with our professionals here on CC.

Some of the cover-ups they are talking about is crazy!!

Right?  That's what kind of caught me off guard.  I didn't realize it was quite this bad.  Training staff to cover up and mislead, etc.  They plead guilty to all of it as well.

@BNBR Thanks for posting this. It's really interesting to see how Carnival is trying to get around doing the right thing. Sending crews to quickly fix the issue before the monitor came is like a kid stuffing all of their possessions away in a closet before their parents come to check if they cleaned their rooms.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

It's not old news.  They were just back in court.  Try watching the segment....

This was a story from this morning I posted, because it's relevant.  Jim's first show of the new year.

Okay, maybe a better word is it is the same story over and over again. The bottom line is no one cares about it.  No one has stopped cruising on Carnival. Carnival isn’t doing anything different other than token measures like eliminating plastic straws. Carnival will continue to pay fines and nothing else changes.

Now when you post news/video saying all Carnival ships are not allowed to enter US ports any more, that would be big news. 

13 minutes ago, Cruise-Crazy said:

I’m sure Carnival is not alone in this sort of thing. 

It's ok, it's a long segment so I don't blame you for not watching.  Go watch the last minute or two.  This is addressed in the segment.  Carnival is the worst and repeatedly offending, while doing the least to clean it up.

There is a reason Carnival is going through this and not other companies.

It was a top down corporate policy of environmental destruction, then a cover-up, etc.  It's quite appalling how bad this was, and I didn't get that from previous stories about it.  

Edited by BNBR

17 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

@BNBR Thanks for posting this. It's really interesting to see how Carnival is trying to get around doing the right thing. Sending crews to quickly fix the issue before the monitor came is like a kid stuffing all of their possessions away in a closet before their parents come to check if they cleaned their rooms.

Having a guy standing and holding a sign that says "LA is listening" while they hold fake meetings... Etc.  It's really quite outrageous.

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Okay, maybe a better word is it is the same story over and over again. The bottom line is no one cares about it.  No one has stopped cruising on Carnival. Carnival isn’t doing anything different other than token measures like eliminating plastic straws. Carnival will continue to pay fines and nothing else changes.

Now when you post news/video saying all Carnival ships are not allowed to enter US ports any more, that would be big news. 

They talk about how the fine isn't adequate and could get worse, too...  And it may not be that simple.

People do care about it, but not a lot of people know.  Heck, they discuss that, too....  You really should just consider watching it.

This program doesn't really focus on junk stories.  It's a pretty damn good, unbiased, investigative program about local issues that airs weekly.

Carnival being on it and the continued issues they are facing is quite serious.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

So this piece leaves me with a question. If all of the "dumpings" since they pleaded guilty have been accidental, how does that show any wrong doing?  Next question, seeing as the original event was only found because of a whistle blower, How many like events have other cruise lines committed?  And finally, they claim that it is wrong for Carnival to clean up a ship prior to an inspection. I will only say this, I have been in the transportation industry for over 30 years. Every company I have ever worked for has brought every vehicle due for an inspection of any kind, into the shop a few days before hand to make sure that it will pass. That is simply good business, how is what Carnival is accused of any different?

20 minutes ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

Point is if other companies are doing the same thing then why is only one getting in trouble for it?

Did you even watch the video?

CCL is the worst offender and is filled with cover-ups. Maybe when other companies violate as many laws as CCL has, it will become news. Until then, CCL will continue to be under a microscope.

31 minutes ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

Point is if other companies are doing the same thing then why is only one getting in trouble for it?

The last couple minutes of the video discuss exactly this....

38 minutes ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

You are still trying to excuse their behavior because somebody else somewhere might have done something similar. 

If somebody breaks into your house, do you get mad at the cops for aressting them, or the burglar for doing it?  Does that change if somebody else had their house broken into by another person?

42 minutes ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

So this piece leaves me with a question. If all of the "dumpings" since they pleaded guilty have been accidental, how does that show any wrong doing?  Next question, seeing as the original event was only found because of a whistle blower, How many like events have other cruise lines committed?  And finally, they claim that it is wrong for Carnival to clean up a ship prior to an inspection. I will only say this, I have been in the transportation industry for over 30 years. Every company I have ever worked for has brought every vehicle due for an inspection of any kind, into the shop a few days before hand to make sure that it will pass. That is simply good business, how is what Carnival is accused of any different?

Have you actually watched the video?  Your entire comment is fully addressed.

Sending crews out to clean up the mess just before inspection was a DIRECT violation of the court order.  And they continued to willfully violate the order.  The judge was clear about this.  Carnival continued to pollute, including discharging plastic waste into Bahamian waters, then would send crews out prior to inspection to clean up and hide the evidence of wrongdoing.  

Please watch the video if you want to fully participate in the discussion, if you don't mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Carnival isn’t doing anything different other than token measures like eliminating plastic straws. Carnival will continue to pay fines and nothing else changes.

You couldn't be more wrong.  Jump to 8 minutes in to the video.  It's incredibly serious.  They are under threat to be barred from ports.  The founder has been requested to be in court for all hearings, threats of criminal charges, etc.

28 minutes ago, BNBR said:

You couldn't be more wrong.  Jump to 8 minutes in to the video.  It's incredibly serious.  They are under threat to be barred from ports.  The founder has been requested to be in court for all hearings, threats of criminal charges, etc.

I am not disputing what you or the video is saying. However, this is not something new that Carnival has been charged with. They have been charged with similar actions over the years, have paid fines, placed on probation, and have been threatened with more severe sanctions numerous times including as recent as last year. However, until something actually happens like banning Carnival ships from US ports, this is just the media spinning people up like you who actually seem to believe some serious sanctions will actually occur as a result of this.  History has proven over and over again that this never happens. 

• Like 1