Where to eat for one evening in Galveston

PCWalton1

Our flight in to IAH was shifted from the evening to early afternoon so we decided to get room in Galveston instead of Texas City and found  Hotel Galvez & Spa cheap on Hotwire. Any recommendations for dinner that evening? Preferring a place that gives us the ambiance of Galveston. We have never been there before so looking for someplace that speaks Galveston.

Thanks

When will you be in ?

Restaurant  Week is next couple weeks . 

What is you’re price range and type of food . 

look at 

Rudy and Pacos 
Number 13

Gaidos 

Steakhouse 

Shearns 
Riondos 

Trattoria La Vigna

Porch Cafe 
Willie G’s has good happy hour 

Edited by ssb

59 minutes ago, ssb said:

When will you be in ?

look at 

Rudy and Pacos 
Number 13

Gaidos 

Steakhouse 

Shearns 
Riondos 

Trattoria La Vigna

Porch Cafe 

Thanks for the suggestions. We won't be there it mid August.Like the chance to partake is local seafood. 

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. We won't be there it mid August.Like the chance to partake is local seafood. 

They all have good seafood dishes. 
Overlooked Cut and Catch 

Edited by ssb

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Gaidos has been serving seafood in Galveston since the earth cooled!😃

5 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

One of our favorites, although been a few years since we've eaten there.

Sounds good and just a short Uber from the hotel

On 1/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, ssb said:

When will you be in ?

look at 

Rudy and Pacos 
Number 13

Gaidos 

Steakhouse 

Shearns 
Riondos 

Trattoria La Vigna

Porch Cafe 

Can you elaborate on the name of the steakhouse?  I had looked at the Saltgrass Steak restaurant but would like another opinion.  I searched for Galveston steak houses but there are several so I am not sure which one you are recommending.  We do not want to spend $100 on a meal for 2 though!  

Edited by SweetPea0517

7 hours ago, SweetPea0517 said:

Can you elaborate on the name of the steakhouse?  I had looked at the Saltgrass Steak restaurant but would like another opinion.  I searched for Galveston steak houses but there are several so I am not sure which one you are recommending.  We do not want to spend $100 on a meal for 2 though!  

Saltgrass is very good.  It is a chain restaurant, but it is one of our favorites.....not outrageously priced, but still very good food.  Without alcohol, should easily be able to dine for 2 under $100.

14 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

https://www.galvestonrestaurantweek.com/restaurants/

Here is a link to the upcoming restaurant week (actually 2 weeks!) activity in Galveston.  Most have menus posted for the specials dining, others say coming soon for their menus.

14 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

Saltgrass is very good.  It is a chain restaurant, but it is one of our favorites.....not outrageously priced, but still very good food.  Without alcohol, should easily be able to dine for 2 under $100.

Thanks for sharing the menu!  I am glad to hear you like their food at Saltwater, my DH wants to try some Texas filets while we are there.  Once he gets his belly full of steak we will probably move on to another place for drinks, we are open to any suggestions.  We usually like to watch the action on the beach and water when we sail out of Florida, but since this is our first time in Galveston I just don’t know what to expect since it is not as warm there.  

11 hours ago, SweetPea0517 said:

Thanks for sharing the menu!  I am glad to hear you like their food at Saltwater, my DH wants to try some Texas filets while we are there.  Once he gets his belly full of steak we will probably move on to another place for drinks, we are open to any suggestions.  We usually like to watch the action on the beach and water when we sail out of Florida, but since this is our first time in Galveston I just don’t know what to expect since it is not as warm there.  

Spot up stairs at Rum Shack in Palapa 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 8:05 AM, fdthird said:

We like Fisherman's Wharf Or Willie G’s where you can watch the boat traffic. 

They are good, but chain restaurants.  We have so many great restaurants in Galveston worth going to that are locally owned.

You can watch the ships from Marina Bar & Grill.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, SweetPea0517 said:

The Steakhouse is at San Luis Hotel . 

image.jpeg.b8a05b29b5fbbc05aaa157f6460478ba.jpeg

Feb 09, 2020 · The Steakhouse, Galveston: See 655 unbiased reviews of The Steakhouse, rated 4.5 of 5 on

Edited by ssb

3 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

They are good, but chain restaurants.  We have so many great restaurants in Galveston worth going to that are locally owned.

You can watch the ships from Marina Bar & Grill.

True, but we are big fans of the Landry’s Group restaurants and are always pleased by them, so in a strange city, they are often our go to place. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fdthird said:

True, but we are big fans of the Landry’s Group restaurants and are always pleased by them, so in a strange city, they are often our go to place. 

In Galveston you can consider Landry's Group a local ,

because Tillman's family and he are from Galveston .  

We consider them all good for they are consistently good in service and food.

Willie G's

Salt Grass Steakhouse

The Steakhouse

Landry's

Grotto's

Fisherman's Wharf

Fish Tales

Bubba Gump

International House of Pancakes

Chick Fil A 

8 hours ago, ssb said:

In Galveston you can consider Landry's Group a local ,

because Tillman's family and he are from Galveston .  

We consider them all good for they are consistently good in service and food.

Willie G's

Salt Grass Steakhouse

The Steakhouse

Landry's

Grotto's

Fisherman's Wharf

Fish Tales

Bubba Gump

International House of Pancakes

Chick Fil A 

IHOP and Chick Fil A???

On 2/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, ssb said:

Landry’s owns the properties and operates the franchise for each . 

wow, I didn’t realize that!  

We ended up eating supper at Salt Grass Steakhouse.  The restaurant is nice and we went early to get a window seat.  My seafood was good but my DH was disappointed in the flavor of his Filet Mignon.  He was really looking forward to trying some Texas steak so I am not sure if his expectations was set too high or not.  

We had breakfast at Miller’s Seawall and grill, that was the best breakfast we had in a long time!  They serve breakfast all day which is nice so you don’t have to worry about what time it is when you get there.

Our last night in Galveston we went to The Original Mexican Cafe.  The staff at this restaurant was very nice and the food did not disappoint.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SweetPea0517 said:

wow, I didn’t realize that!  

We ended up eating supper at Salt Grass Steakhouse.  The restaurant is nice and we went early to get a window seat.  My seafood was good but my DH was disappointed in the flavor of his Filet Mignon.  He was really looking forward to trying some Texas steak so I am not sure if his expectations was set too high or not.  

Sorry, but you're never going to get a "great" steak at a midrange chain restaurant like Salt Grass. And, just because you are in Texas doesn't mean the meat is from Texas. That's the problem with the Landry's restaurants, they buy food is mass quantities.

Glad y’all liked Miller’s and Original and you liked Saltgrass . I know The filet at Saltgrass has a butter like for a sauce. Not a fanciful one . For his experience The Steakhouse May have been better choice and variety in choice or beef , sauces , rubs and such . Steakhouse however is owned by Landry’s also . But is obviously by the name a higher rated restaurant. And is much more expensive. Seafood is the daily catch and served fresh presentations in Galveston at certain restaurants. 

Edited by ssb

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Sorry, but you're never going to get a "great" steak at a midrange chain restaurant like Salt Grass. And, just because you are in Texas doesn't mean the meat is from Texas. That's the problem with the Landry's restaurants, they buy food is mass quantities.

Sorry to disagree, but have had many great steaks at Salt Grass as well as "fall off the bone" ribs.  I don't know of any restaurants on the island or even elsewhere that advertise "Texas beef".  Majority of restaurants, if not all,  purchase through a supplier as it would be cost prohibitive to purchase direct, if even available, with all the restrictions from the FDA.  Quality of food depends on the kitchen.