Odd flight cancellation question

petuniaflower

Can you legally have 2 flights booked at the same, or is that some sort of flight travel issue?  Long story short-I totally miscalculated my flight to my cruise and booked a pretty cheap flight which will most likely have me missing the ship.  It is not refundable, and the "transferable" portion is basically zero after the penalty fees.  So I booked a new flight.  I am calling the first flight a loss, but Im wondering because (I am now reading) that the company often has extensive delays etc, if I keep the reservation, and not cancel it, if in the event it is delayed I may get some compensation from it, or be allowed to "cancel/refund" because of it.  I just dont want to break any aviation rules which will impact us getting onto our new flights booked.  Hope this makes sense..

Certainly no limit in terms of having multiple flights, I think the most number of flights I've had booked at the same time is about 40. 

Where you will run into an issue is if the original flight was booked as a return ticket. If you take your "new" flight in its place then the rest of your itinerary is cancelled. If, however, it's two oneways then you might as well hold onto it in hope you get an involuntary reschedule and can then get your money back.

9 hours ago, DogLover said:

Are both flights booked with the same airline?

8 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

No, different line and airport actually.

That would be fine.  The two airlines would have no way of knowing you have another flight booked for the same day

• Like 1

Also, if the two airlines are part of the same alliance, don't use the same frequent flyer number on both tickets. 

A note for those coming across the thread later on, if you have multiple bookings on Southwest and their computer system detects that it would be impossible to fly them because they overlap, it will start auto-cancelling bookings until their algorithm says you can make all the flights booked.  

• Thanks 1