using obc to purchase cnc

Shattered__minds

I was able to accrue enough points from my NCL CC to redeem for 250.00 obc. We were hoping to purchase 2 250$ cruise next certs on our cruise. When you purchase 2 250.00 CNC they provide you with 250$ OBC (aka buy one get one free). My question can the obc from the cc (250.00) be used to offset the 250.00 that will be charged to the on board account for the certs? basically getting 500.00 for free? I don't see any reason why they couldn't be but thought i would confirm here before calling NCL.

We always  put our OBC toward the CNC every time we cruise . Interesting to see so many people get mixed messages from the NCL phone center, on my last call, I was put on hold as the rep. Told me she Read the  info on the website to find the answer, She was so excited . 

As others have answered -- "yes".

I but OBC before I cruise (CDN $ sucks, so buying pre-cruise saves me credit card processing fee of 2.5% and sometimes a better exchange rate) so that I can use it to buy CNC/FCC.

Am I understanding this thread to say that if you use any non-refundable OBC to purchase certificates to be used against a future cruise fare, you will be credited an equal amount of non-refundable OBC's to be used on the same cruise?  Why wouldn't everyone being doing this for a massive amount of money every time they cruise (assuming you have the $ to do so) and do not buy anything in advance of arrival on the ship?  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

Am I understanding this thread to say that if you use any non-refundable OBC to purchase certificates to be used against a future cruise fare, you will be credited an equal amount of non-refundable OBC's to be used on the same cruise?  Why wouldn't everyone being doing this for a massive amount of money every time they cruise (assuming you have the $ to do so) and do not buy anything in advance of arrival on the ship?  Thanks.

Not quite, so here is the deal.  NCL offers cruise next certs valued at $250 each on board.  If you purchase 2 or more, they are essentially half price, as they bill your onboard account the full price of the certs, but then credit you back half of the price.  IE you buy 2 certs worth $500, they bill your acct $500 and give you $250 OBC.  Leaving you with a balance of 250.  Now if you had other OBC, it can be used against the remaining 250.

12 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

No, the OBC certs are half price when you buy $500. Since the OP has $250 OBC from their credit card they can purchase $500 worth of certs, be charged $250 and have a zero balance. But normally you would pay $250 for $500.

Edited by sanger727

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

No, the OBC certs are half price when you buy $500. Since the OP has $250 OBC from their credit card they can purchase $500 worth of certs, be charged $250 and have a zero balance. But normally you would pay $250 for $500.

So if you know you're going to spend $1,000 on excursions you should wait till you're on board and immediately buy $1,000 worth for $500?  (Sorry if I am still not getting it).

Just now, jgoodm said:

So if you know you're going to spend $1,000 on excursions you should wait till you're on board and immediately buy $1,000 worth for $500?  (Sorry if I am still not getting it).

Sorry, the certificates they are talking about are cruise next deposits. So can only be applied to book a new cruise. So, Can purchase a $500 certificate for $250. And take that $500 certificate home and book a new cruise. You get nothing on the current cruise.

Just now, sanger727 said:

Sorry, the certificates they are talking about are cruise next deposits. So can only be applied to book a new cruise. So, Can purchase a $500 certificate for $250. And take that $500 certificate home and book a new cruise. You get nothing on the current cruise.

Thanks for clarifying.  So are these unlimited too?  If you knew for sure you were booking a new Haven trip for example, could you just buy $2,500 worth and get a full $5,000 to spend?

8 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

Thanks for clarifying.  So are these unlimited too?  If you knew for sure you were booking a new Haven trip for example, could you just buy $2,500 worth and get a full $5,000 to spend?

Certificates are worth $250 each and cost $125 each if you buy in multiples of 2, 4, 6, 8.  I believe the maximum you can buy is 8. The normal "push" is to buy 4. They are designed to be used as deposits for future cruises and you can only use 1 or 2 depending on when you book your cruise and the cruise category.  They often run Double-up promotions where you can use 2 at any time for any category.

So no, you can't buy enough to cover the cost of a cruise.  In addition to the CruiseNext certificates, you can buy spending credits ahead of time, which is what the OP is asking about, although they are using their NCL credit card credits to get the OBC.  Otherwise you can buy OBC at face value and those can be used to buy CruiseNext certificates or pay for excursions, etc.

OBC cannot be used to pay for your cruise.  And to complicate matters, there are different deposits for short cruises and for Haven suites.