Port of Galveston closed due to fog, collision 1-15-2020

We are off and sailing. I must say the crowd in general was very good. There are a number of kids under 10 and thru the delay I heard no crying or screaming. So very good, especially considering the long day. Most of the adults were behaved as well. I did here a few pineapples complaining that they should board first. Boarding was suites, pineapples, diamond +,diamond, and key. 

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Will weather be the reason this doesn't violate the Jones Act?

Couple of points.  The Jones Act pertains to cargo ships, the PVSA pertains to passenger ships.  Cruises to nowhere are still allowed under the PVSA.  What has stopped the cruises to nowhere is CBP's regulation that foreign crew on ships doing these cruises must all have US work visas, not just crew visas.  But, yes, since this is not a scheduled cruise to nowhere, and was caused by a weather delay will allow the line to apply for a waiver.

• Like 2

Good morning from the 6th day of our five day cruise on the Dream! 

I understand about the tragic accident and search and rescue on Wednesday, however, just to clarify, the only thing keeping Dream from docking and the Enchantment from leaving on Thursday was the heavy fog. The port was officially closed to all marine traffic. 

At around 1:00pm, the Captain announced that the pilot boat would pick us up at 2:30 and we would dock around 4:00. Then the fog got much heavier and that plan was scrapped. 

They put out a schedule of activities covering the entire night and told us the dining rooms would be serving dinner at the usual times. Then, at 5:30, they said that we were heading in and would be docking at 7:00 at which time debarkation would begin immediately. They made an announcement about where all guests, priority, suites, etc should go to wait to exit the ship. 

Since we are Platinum, we loaded up our stuff and headed for the theater. As soon as we sat down, they told us that we could stay on the ship overnight, if desired. We elected to stay on since our flight was scheduled for the next day anyway. 

Anyway, I just wanted to provide a few details. 

Cheers! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Good morning from the 6th day of our five day cruise on the Dream! 

I understand about the tragic accident and search and rescue on Wednesday, however, just to clarify, the only thing keeping Dream from docking and the Enchantment from leaving on Thursday was the heavy fog. The port was officially closed to all marine traffic. 

At around 1:00pm, the Captain announced that the pilot boat would pick us up at 2:30 and we would dock around 4:00. Then the fog got much heavier and that plan was scrapped. 

They put out a schedule of activities covering the entire night and told us the dining rooms would be serving dinner at the usual times. Then, at 5:30, they said that we were heading in and would be docking at 7:00 at which time debarkation would begin immediately. They made an announcement about where all guests, priority, suites, etc should go to wait to exit the ship. 

Since we are Platinum, we loaded up our stuff and headed for the theater. As soon as we sat down, they told us that we could stay on the ship overnight, if desired. We elected to stay on since our flight was scheduled for the next day anyway. 

Anyway, I just wanted to provide a few details. 

Cheers! 

The Captain said on Enchantment that they were not able to leave port until Thursday afternoon , 

because of the necessary salvage operation of completing the securing of the sunken fishing vessel . 
That would be the situation likewise for the Dream  not  being able to come into the channel and port earlier on Thursday .  

Edited by ssb

The port of Galveston was closed to all marine traffic due to the dense fog. You couldn't see 100 feet off the ship. It was the worst I've ever seen. That was announced and reiterated more than a dozen times throughout the day. The salvage and rescue was taking place on Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Wheels87 said:

The port of Galveston was closed to all marine traffic due to the dense fog. You couldn't see 100 feet off the ship. It was the worst I've ever seen. That was announced and reiterated more than a dozen times throughout the day. The salvage and rescue was taking place on Wednesday. 

Salvage and securing Vessel continued on Thursday 

10 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

While that may be true, that is not why the Enchantment couldn't leave and the Dream couldn't arrive. 

Enchantment and Dream Officers , Coast Guard and Pilots are controlled and make these decisions for various  reasons.     

I am just so thankful all cruisers, tanker crew and surviving fishing vessel crew are okay . 

Prayers for the deceased  and missing .    

Hope to see you on the Seas under better conditions ! 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ssb said:

Enchantment and Dream Officers , Coast Guard and Pilots are controlled and make these decisions for various  reasons.     

I am just so thankful all cruisers, tanker crew and surviving fishing vessel crew are okay . 

Prayers for the deceased  and missing .    

Hope to see you on the Seas under better conditions ! 

Same to you!