Cruising with a college student

AMWH

Does anyone have experience cruising with a college student during college spring break.  Not looking for a “spring break cruise” with a bunch of partying kids but want to know if there is anything organized for this age group.  It would be during a popular spring break week so have to assume other families travel with college age kids and will be others onboard but he’s worried he’ll be bored and not meet other kids his age.  And yes he’ll be bored hanging out with us and yes there’s lots to do on the ship but what he really wants is what has happened on past cruises when he could still go to the teen club and meet everyone and have friends to hang out with for the week. What have others experienced?  TIA!

I've never seen any ship have any organized events geared toward this age group... during spring break or otherwise.  He'll be on his own.  However, I have seen on many cruises that this age group tends to find each other and hang out together.  But he'll need to hang out where they hang out and be willing to be outgoing enough to get involved with others.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

24 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

have him attend the solo cruiser events.  or really hang out at any bar or the pool.  at his age, he should be able to meet people without having a formal activity/club.

Of all the solo events I have attended over the years I could count on one hand the amount of college age kids that have been in attendance.   Not sure the kid would enjoy that.

My opinion is, he has been on cruise ships before,  totally let him decide.

I have been on a cruise during spring break and it was like any other cruise. On the other hand, the motel on Ft. Lauderdale beach was packed with party animal college spring breakers for our pre-cruise stay. 

On our last cruise, there was a young adult meet up a few nights at one of the lounges, my 18 and 20 year olds attended, plus they really went out of their way to meet others. By day 2 they had a group. We also signed the beer/wine waiver (although they were responsible for paying for their drinks, so they didn’t order much, dd tended to drink more because guys were more likely to buy her a drink than ds).

19 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Of all the solo events I have attended over the years I could count on one hand the amount of college age kids that have been in attendance.   Not sure the kid would enjoy that.

The youngins usually pop in the first night hoping to meet people and then hightail it out of there if there's none. Heck even the mid/late 20s and early 30s don't always return after the second night. 

@AMWH I doubt they would let him into the teen club but if you’re going on A college spring break week, I really wouldn’t worry about him having fun. You probably won’t see him after the first night, so hopefully he’s got his own cabin and you can both download the Norwegian messenger app and keep in touch that way. And also, so you can plan where to meet at the end of the cruise when you see each other again. LOL. 

also If he’s not yet 21, I think you can sign him up for the beer and wine package with your consent so at least he can cut loose and have some fun. 

He can make friends on the ship just as he does at school.

If he goes to areas where other his age might go,ie- the basketball court,ropes course,gym if he is athletic ,the pool or comedy shows he,most likely,would meet up with kids in his age group.

It is a good suggestion to arrange for beer and wine for him as he can go to the bars and share a. drink with others.

Another thought is, he may meet up with people your age. One of them may have a college kid as well and want to get the two of them together. I saw this happen on a cruise once where two mothers were met at the  pool and started a conversation. Soon, they were planning how they would get their adult age  kids to meet. A little match making was going on - LOL!

Edited by MJSailors
Clarification

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I've never seen any ship have any organized events geared toward this age group... during spring break or otherwise.  He'll be on his own.  However, I have seen on many cruises that this age group tends to find each other and hang out together.  But he'll need to hang out where they hang out and be willing to be outgoing enough to get involved with others.

They seem to be magnetic and have no problem finding their kind on board.