QM2 Gatwick to Barcelona flight

63galaxie

Good day.

We’re taking our first sailing on Cunard from New York on May 31, 2020.

We disembark in Southampton.  What time will we be able to do this?

Is it feasible to taxi to Gatwick, fly to Barcelona or Valencia in time to embark on a Mediterranean cruise which leaves at 6 pm?

There are plenty of flights available at this point in time. We’re just uncertain what time we will be able to get off the ship, go through customs, catch the taxi, and make it to Gatwick.

What’s  your experience been?

Thank you.

Karen Howard

Theoretically it's possible but QM2 is occasionally delayed, as happened on her most recent crossing.

I would try and leave at least a day between arrival and departure, unless the second cruise is leaving from the same port.

• Like 1

If you do self disembarkation, i.e. carry your own luggage, you should be off the ship by 7.30, providing she is not late arriving. Arrange a car to meet you, and it should be possible. But what with the traffic and everything, I wouldn't risk it, because I would spend too much time worrying.

There is also a one hour time difference to factor in.

• You will need 2 hours to LGW with private transfer (rush hour morning traffic is horrendous)
  • possibly 2 hours check in LGW
  • Appx 2 hours flight
  • collect baggage. ??
  • absolute minimum 30 minutes airport to cruise port.

With a delay free trip you will be cutting it fine. I would not want the anxiety!

On 1/17/2020 at 9:05 AM, 63galaxie said:

Good day.

We’re taking our first sailing on Cunard from New York on May 31, 2020.

We disembark in Southampton.  What time will we be able to do this?

Is it feasible to taxi to Gatwick, fly to Barcelona or Valencia in time to embark on a Mediterranean cruise which leaves at 6 pm?

There are plenty of flights available at this point in time. We’re just uncertain what time we will be able to get off the ship, go through customs, catch the taxi, and make it to Gatwick.

What’s  your experience been?

Thank you.

Karen Howard

You could also take the Southern Service (Green Trains) from Southampton Central Railway Station to Gatwick Airport. The Journey does take around 2hours.  

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

If you can self disembark, that would be a big help. Also, on an east bound crossing you will have already cleared Customs on the ship while at sea. A car service vs public transportation is also a good idea. It will also be a Sunday, so traffic should be light. I would shoot for a flight departing around noon. This would put you on the ground in Barcelona 3'ish (including the hour time change). Assuming you are checking bags, you could be in a taxi on your way to the ship by 3:30-3:45PM. The Barcelona airport is fairly convenient to the port area, so you should be there around 4:30PM with an hour to spare. So yes, its possible. However, having spent most of my career traveling in International Sales, I would not recommend doing it. Something I learned the hard way. Or as my old boss use to say, "bad plan executed perfectly." A first crossing on the QM2 is such a special event, put yourself in an environment to enjoy it.