Disembarking Explorer Mediterranean Cruise

CynBeth6

We are going on a Med cruise this summer.  The docking time is 5 am.  When do they let people off the ship?  If we take our own luggage how long does the process take?  We will be arranging transportation to get us to the Rome train station so want to have an idea of what time to book the private car.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

We are going on a Med cruise this summer.  The docking time is 5 am.  When do they let people off the ship?  If we take our own luggage how long does the process take?  We will be arranging transportation to get us to the Rome train station so want to have an idea of what time to book the private car.  Thanks!

The train station is quite close and we actually walked it with suitcases.  I'm sure there were taxis waiting so I personally wouldn't see the need to pre-book. 

If you are disembarking in Civitavecchia, you have to take a Port Bus to the Puerto Civitavecchia (port entrance).  You cannot walk it.  From there to the train station is quite a schlep, especially with luggage.  Once you get to the port entrance, there is another bus that will take you to the train station for a couple of Euro.  There's a kiosk at the port entrance to purchase a bus ticket.   In lieu of the bus to the train station, there will be taxis that will rip you off for the short journey.    https://*****.com/uqtb527 

If you self disembark, you will still have to wait for the Port Bus to fill up before it leaves.  Another option is to arrange for private transportation to take you from the port to the train station direct without having to take the Port Bus.  Local taxis are not allowed into the port area to just sit and hawk a fare.  

I see you are arranging your own private transportation.  6:30-7:00am should work just fine. 🍷

Edited by Wine-O
  • Like 1

Without the "shlepping" with the Port Bus, the taxi to the train station and the train journey, I'd recommend what we had done in the past and will be doing again when disembarking from this ship -- book a transfer... a shared transfer from dock to Rome is 65 Euro for a couple, or 119 Euro for a private transfer.

Same rate to Fiumicino airport, including 1 carry one and one suitcase pp.

In my opinion, worth every cent...

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

I gave more information than need be, but hopefully it will help others who plan on getting to the train station in Civitavecchia.  As for the OP, a private transport will pick you up right at the pier.  🍷