Cozumel last minute and on your own

elbodans

I'm sailing on an MSC sailing two weeks from today which supposedly stops at their new private island. But that's not worked out very well for a lot of recent sailings, and MSC has been changing that port of call to Cozumel at the absolute last moment. So I've been doing some research about how my friend and I (both 40, both women, both independent travelers) might enjoy Cozumel for the day if that's where we end up. However, if that's where we end up, we obviously won't be able to book ANYTHING in advance. 

I'm not a huge fan of cruise ship sponsored excursions. And we don't have kids so we don't need anything with the word "adventure" in it; beaches with bouncy castles do not make my heart swell with joy. In my research the only things I've found were: 

-A cruise ship sponsored excursion (sigh) which goes to San Gervasio, a tequila place, and a beach (which I believe is Playa Mia and thus is overly kid-friendly.) 

-Isla Pasion. Which looks ideal, but I'm not sure where or how one would do that just walking off the ship and being like: hi Cozumel, I am on you; take me to Isla Pasion. 

Any thoughts on the above, or better ways for two independent travelers to enjoy Cozumel sans plans if necessary? Thanks! 

Note: I am not opposed to taking the ferry to Playa. I did that when I went to Tulum and I found the ride fun, not vomit-inducing. 😉 

Edited by elbodans
typo

There are a number of PAYGO beaches. Paradise  Beach has a pool as well. Playa San Francisco is still PAYGO last I heard. Very similar to PB and Mr Sanchos ( which pushes its AI package). Playa Plancar further south >s typically a quieter beach.

If beaches aren't of interest, look into Discover Mexico. Very educational with some classes or tastings available. I believe your admission there could also get you into Chankanaab.

And then there's exploring downtown San Miguel, mostly shopping and people hawking their wares, but several spots with good traditional  Yucatan food.

Money Bar beach club offers good facilites, good snorkeling from the shore, good food and drinks, no admission fee, and is only a $12 taxi ride from the ports. No real beach,you enter the water via steps, but the lack of a Sandy beach keeps the water clear.

We did tikes Cozumel. It was a lot  of fun and a different way to explore. 

We wound up back in Cozumel the next day instead of grand cayman. We had planned on a beach day so we booked mr, Sanchez  It was a great fun day. In fact my 14 year old daughter wants to go back there on our next cruise. 

19 minutes ago, ljmandelbaum said:

We did tikes Cozumel. It was a lot  of fun and a different way to explore. 

We wound up back in Cozumel the next day instead of grand cayman. We had planned on a beach day so we booked mr, Sanchez  It was a great fun day. In fact my 14 year old daughter wants to go back there on our next cruise. 

ok, that looks fun! i wish they let you just rent them but they don't. drat! i have looked at renting a scooter but i've also read all of the "don't do that" advice (i'm confident in my ability to ride a scooter but i still won't just because i don't want to be THAT person.) 

I decided on Mr. Sanchos Beach Club for our stop in April, you can check out their website to see if it is something that might work for your group. I think the All Inclusive price is quite reasonable and the reviews on Trip Advisor are excellent. It appears almost everyone loves Mr. Sanchos! It is a $17 cab fare each way from the dock. 

Here is the link, you can check to see if there is still availability the day you might be in Cozumel. I booked through Shore Excursioneer, it was only a $5 deposit per person and you can get that back up to 14 days after you were supposed to arrive. Enjoy your cruise!  
https://www.mrsanchos.com/

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/cozumel/snorkel-mr-sanchos-beach-club.html

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 1

You can do San Gervasio on your own, if you don't want to take a tour. We like visiting ruins and had a taxi driver take us, prices are on the taxi stands. The driver waits and brings you back. It's a lot of walking and the ruins are not as spectacular as other sights. You can purchase the services of a guide, but we just used the provided maps. We've visited Paradise Beach a couple times as well, it's fun. If you dock right downtown, the people watching is usually good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mutumbojimbo said:

You can do San Gervasio on your own, if you don't want to take a tour. We like visiting ruins and had a taxi driver take us, prices are on the taxi stands. The driver waits and brings you back. It's a lot of walking and the ruins are not as spectacular as other sights. You can purchase the services of a guide, but we just used the provided maps. We've visited Paradise Beach a couple times as well, it's fun. If you dock right downtown, the people watching is usually good. 

Good to know, thanks! It appears that if this ends up being the port at which we call, I'll be on my own as my travel partner plans to not get off the ship. I always plan to not get off the ship. So perhaps a taxi to ruins is my best bet. Thanks!