Viking Rhine - best days of week to visit each port/city

rockjock75

I know that for certain cathedrals and museums, they may be closed on Sundays and Mondays. There are many trips from Amsterdam to Basel, each starting on a different day of the week. I plan to leave Amsterdam sometime during the last week of April 2021. Are there any ports/cities that I should avoid on a certain day (like Sun/Mon) to insure I do not miss anything?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've not sailed Viking, but normally the detailed itinerary will indicate if there's a possibility a site won't be open, and offer an alternative.  In any event, you're not going to be able to see everything and there will be things you miss.  

rockjock75,

Mondays is often museum closure day, Sunday indeed cathedrals and churches mainly during service. It sounds as if you travelling after Easter so that big interruption to the standard seven day week will be behind you.

I started a thread some time ago with some tips, also from other cruisers, perhaps this helps:

notamermaid

We did the Viking Rhine Getaway, and made sure we weren't in Cologne or Strasbourg on a Sunday, as their cathedrals were tops on my to-see list.  Fortunately, the Rijksmuseum is open seven days a week, as is the Van Gogh Museum next door, so no issue there.

If one is traveling Easter week, then there may be a problem touring a cathedral on Thursday through Sunday, due to Holy Week services.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, rockjock75 said:

...certain cathedrals and museums...may be closed on Sundays and Mondays...

The Gutenberg Museum in Mainz is listed as closed on Mondays. BUT when the Grand Circle Cruise Line boat I was on stopped in Mainz, GCCL had made arrangements to have the museum open just for our group. Apparently the museum found opening for 90 minutes for 160 paying customers (an included part of the cruise) worthwhile. So viewing each museum’s website for hours they are open does not tell the entire story. YMMV

Yes our Rhine cruise was in Strasbourg on a Sunday so everything was closed.  Luckily we had spent a week in Strasbourg earlier last year, so we just stayed on the ship.  It would have been very disappointing though if we hadn't been before.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:41 AM, djh1959 said:

Yes our Rhine cruise was in Strasbourg on a Sunday so everything was closed.  Luckily we had spent a week in Strasbourg earlier last year, so we just stayed on the ship.  It would have been very disappointing though if we hadn't been before.

Strasbourg and the rest of Alsace follow the German practice of closing shops on Sunday.  However souvenir shops in the centre of the city will be open as well as restaurants. The Cathedral is open for visitors on Sunday afternoons and all museums will also be open (museums usually close on Mondays). So there’s lots to see and do in Strasbourg on a Sunday.  In answer to the OP, Cologne Cathedral is also open to visitors on Sunday afternoons.