Movie popcorn

carribbound

3 hours ago, carribbound said:

That’s a good idea too. I was looking more for... has anyone ever gone somewhere on the ship to get some actual melted butter to put on it???

Nope, not available unless you take some off the buffet and melt it yourself

14 hours ago, carribbound said:

Does anyone have any good tips on doctoring up the dry movie popcorn they serve? 

I just avoid it. No biggie. I bring other snacks outside to the dive in movies that I pick up at Lido.

That said, two other options I can think of are 1) if it is that crucial, stop at a store before the cruise and bring on one of those spray butter-flavor oils and/or some dry shake-on spice mix; 2) if you are on a new ship with IMAX, see if you can purchase the popcorn there if it is better quality and take it out to the deck.

What the movie theaters add to their popcorn is a product called "Flavacol". Amazon carries it but it's a lot more than you would ever need. You only add a tiny bit. Don't know if you could find a smaller quantity. It's not that expensive however.

• Like 1

On the Panorama recently, we grabbed a pat of butter from the buffet or somewhere and it had basically melted by movie time.

Tossed that into the box that we waited for to be hot out of the kettle, then shaked well and added salt, that was in a sugar dispenser, not the clogged salt shakers we were used to.

gary

I bought this stuff at Walmart, in store, for $3.14.  It's surprisingly good.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winona-Pure-Popcorn-Butter-5-Oz/34129432

We own a movie theatre popcorn machine and use Flavacol and Snappy popcorn colored coconut oil when we make ours at home. I bought the Winona spray because DH is on a diet and the movie popcorn is not on the diet!

2 hours ago, coevan said:

Why does everyone have to have popcorn when watching a movie? 

It's tradition, silly. Haven't you ever watched a movie, watching the actors where they were watching a movie eating popcorn? I mean, it's in the book! You gotta eat popcorn while watching a movie. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, audcc77 said:

I’m not sure if the hot water dispenser on the Lido is hot enough but you could try putting hot water in one cup, then stack another cup with butter pads in it. 

No more pats of butter. They use crocks now to cut down waste.

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I have a love/hate relationship with popcorn... love eating it... hate when a kernel shell gets stuck in my gums...

Having said that, I think the cheddar cheese in a shaker would be the way to go for convenience.  There are other flavors too. 

Same......I do enjoy a nice bowl but sometimes its not worth the picking it from my gums :classic_wacko: