review of our Edge sailing 12/01/2020

fragilek

I will be filling this out as time allows over the next few weeks.

As background our previous cruises have been 2 Carnival 2013 & 2014, 2 royal 2015 & 2016, 1 Marella 2019, 1 Costa 2019  and 1 celebrity Infinity 2019.  We usually choose based on itinerary.  Previous reviews of these are on here.  I will add links when I have time.  This cruise was chosen as I found a great deal  £675pp for IV cabin with $300 and drinks pack we  and  also had flight credits to Miami to use up and family to visit in Boca Rotan However, I knew the itinerary was not what I would usually have gone for with more sea days than I would optimally like.

Firstly as its a big debate already - We LOVED our IV cabin and felt we got more use of it than a normal balcony especially as the weather was iffy and we had to spend a day lying down watching TV -what a view we had !!.  However we did have a noise issue with the cabin as something was broken inside the window surround and with the extreme rocking we had it was very noisy all night (engineer tried to fix but unable to - we could see with the fact there were ribber jemmys in the surround this issue had been reported previously.  I am going to try contact Celebrity, if I can find who to contact for uk booking,  to report this as they need to fix for future guests). This was only an issue when the window was locked shut, due to our weather this happened a few nights, if open the sea and wind sounded wild and very loud but I liked that and it also covered up the annoying rattle.

Food and restaurants good to very good - but MDR perhaps not as good as on the infinity in the summer (and a million times better than Costa lol).  Buffet for lunch probably the best we have had - I am celiac and there was always plenty and very tasty food - as a side note iif celebrity ever read- can you add some/ any gf food into the afternoon tea stuff - there is nothing for this so if back on ship after lunch its pizza or nothing - ps gf pizza was good lol

Bars all very good also not to busy in the evenings always able to find seats at martini bar and in Edge

Shows - team  the best we have seen shows - a bit out there but the cast are soooo talented,  Bar singers all good especially Danny really enjoyed his sets.  Went to Eden expected not to really like it however went with open mind - have no idea but it was about but must say it was entertaining and not to "in my face" to disturb me

Professional shows only went to 2 out of the 4 - comedian was good- Did not enjoy the singers show - pretend strippers are NOT my thing. If females had been lap dancing a male form the audience there would have been outrage so why does it appear Celebrity think it is acceptable the other way round - however, most of the audience seems to find this entertaining just not for us (we were younger than most in the theater so maybe its an age= acceptability of that sort of stuff).

Day time entertainment again 2nd celebrity cruise 2nd Italian CD and again more noisy pool stuff than expected reading reviews celebrity reviews, after summer review on infinity I thought it was a one off but Geseppi was again full on but much more entertaining than the one in July.  Pool was noisy and this may be an issue for some as only 1 outdoor pool - Was not an issue for us as due to health issues I am not allowed in the pool and also need shade so avoided the area (only mentioning in case it impacts others).  There were plenty sunbed - all be it some are too close to each other, also plenty shade.

I will expand later

Edited by fragilek
sp
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2020 at 1:23 PM, fragilek said:

I will be filling this out as time allows over the next few weeks.

As background our previous cruises have been 2 Carnival 2013 & 2014, 2 royal 2015 & 2016, 1 Marella 2019, 1 Costa 2019  and 1 celebrity Infinity 2019.  We usually choose based on itinerary.  Previous reviews of these are on here.  I will add links when I have time.  This cruise was chosen as I found a great deal  £675pp for IV cabin with $300 and drinks pack we  and  also had flight credits to Miami to use up and family to visit in Boca Rotan However, I knew the itinerary was not what I would usually have gone for with more sea days than I would optimally like.

Firstly as its a big debate already - We LOVED our IV cabin and felt we got more use of it than a normal balcony especially as the weather was iffy and we had to spend a day lying down watching TV -what a view we had !!.  However we did have a noise issue with the cabin as something was broken inside the window surround and with the extreme rocking we had it was very noisy all night (engineer tried to fix but unable to - we could see with the fact there were ribber jemmys in the surround this issue had been reported previously.  I am going to try contact Celebrity, if I can find who to contact for uk booking,  to report this as they need to fix for future guests). This was only an issue when the window was locked shut, due to our weather this happened a few nights, if open the sea and wind sounded wild and very loud but I liked that and it also covered up the annoying rattle.

Food and restaurants good to very good - but MDR perhaps not as good as on the infinity in the summer (and a million times better than Costa lol).  Buffet for lunch probably the best we have had - I am celiac and there was always plenty and very tasty food - as a side note iif celebrity ever read- can you add some/ any gf food into the afternoon tea stuff - there is nothing for this so if back on ship after lunch its pizza or nothing - ps gf pizza was good lol

Bars all very good also not to busy in the evenings always able to find seats at martini bar and in Edge

Shows - team  the best we have seen shows - a bit out there but the cast are soooo talented,  Bar singers all good especially Danny really enjoyed his sets.  Went to Eden expected not to really like it however went with open mind - have no idea but it was about but must say it was entertaining and not to "in my face" to disturb me

Professional shows only went to 2 out of the 4 - comedian was good- Did not enjoy the singers show - pretend strippers are NOT my thing. If females had been lap dancing a male form the audience there would have been outrage so why does it appear Celebrity think it is acceptable the other way round - however, most of the audience seems to find this entertaining just not for us (we were younger than most in the theater so maybe its an age= acceptability of that sort of stuff).

Day time entertainment again 2nd celebrity cruise 2nd Italian CD and again more noisy pool stuff than expected reading reviews celebrity reviews, after summer review on infinity I thought it was a one off but Geseppi was again full on but much more entertaining than the one in July.  Pool was noisy and this may be an issue for some as only 1 outdoor pool - Was not an issue for us as due to health issues I am not allowed in the pool and also need shade so avoided the area (only mentioning in case it impacts others).  There were plenty sunbed - all be it some are too close to each other, also plenty shade.

I will expand later

Looking forward to your future posts.  Especially interested in quiet and shady areas.  My DH needs to stay in shade, as he has already lost quite a bit of flesh to the dermatologist (lol), but I like to get some sun.  From what I see online, the Edge seems to be short on shady outdoor areas.  Is that right?  We have AQ access to spa, but I don't know if they have much (or any) shady outdoor seating.  We've been on the Silhouette, so I think we're familiar with the covered pool.  Is it similar?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Madio said:

Looking forward to your future posts.  Especially interested in quiet and shady areas.  My DH needs to stay in shade, as he has already lost quite a bit of flesh to the dermatologist (lol), but I like to get some sun.  From what I see online, the Edge seems to be short on shady outdoor areas.  Is that right?  We have AQ access to spa, but I don't know if they have much (or any) shady outdoor seating.  We've been on the Silhouette, so I think we're familiar with the covered pool.  Is it similar?  Thanks!

I am in remission from Leukemia a few years ago - the treatment I had means no sun at all also not allowed in the indoor pool area as my cell count has never fully recovered and I am very susceptible to any mold or bugs. We found lots of shade and semi shade areas where I got shade and DH could sit beside me in semi shade.  Quite a few of these are on the level above the pool deck.  the rear of the ship had a nice outdoor eat area that had seats in the shade for breakfast ,lunch and coffee.  We also made use of our IV balcony more than a traditional one as I could have a rest in the afternoon with window down safely in shade and with views to die for.

Eden was lovely for early evening  or late very peaceful drinks .  Magic carpet was also a nice peaceful retreat.  We also had no trouble finding a free table at the martini bar and made sure go there when Danny was playing.

The shows where a bit off the wall but with the best signers and dancer we have seen on any cruise to date.  We loved every  celebrity team show we went to, including unexpectedly enjoying Eden and Mirage (but not as much as the 3 main  theater shows)

25 minutes ago, Madio said:

There's plenty of outdoor shady areas especially on the deck above the pool deck. There are areas on the pool deck that are also in the shade depending on the time of day, in other words, obstructions provide shade depending on where the sun is located.  i have attached photos to show some of the shaded outdoor seating areas. Although there is an outdoor area accessible from the spa there isn't any seating in that area. 

IMG_20181220_094338874.jpg

IMG_20181220_110024681.jpg

IMG_20181220_111417921.jpg

IMG_20181220_110131846.jpg

IMG_20181220_111507334.jpg

IMG_20181220_111334622.jpg

IMG_20181220_111319462.jpg

• Like 2