Freedom or Horizon

buelah111

Hi!  We are beginning to think ahead toward a 2021 cruise when our littlest will be two.  For the timeframe we are looking at there are options with both Horizon and Freedom.  I like the itinerary better on Freedom, but realize Horizon is quite a bit newer and bigger.  For those of you who've been on both ships (or similar sister ships) do you think the differences on the ship are worth a slightly less appealing itinerary?  Appreciate your thoughts!

We love the Vista class ships! Soo much to do, and never feel its over crowded. However, a smaller ship like the Freedom would be easier with a 2yo. 

We went back to the Breeze after cruising on the Vista, and we felt like there wasnt as much to do, and we almost felt bored. So we are cruising on the Horizon this year. The ports i wanted were on a smaller ship and i lost out. But, i get to pick next year. 

It depends if you think you'll ever get to the ports you want. We are only on this rock for so long, and i'd rather see a new place than a ship.

It's tough to say. What exactly is the itinerary and the rest of the details? If I was just comparing ships, Horizon wins for me. However, length, ports, and price could have (and has in the past) changed that for me.

Edited by Joebucks

• 2 months later...

We've cruised on both the Freedom and Horizon's sister ship, the Panorama. We liked them both and would definitely cruise again on either ship.  The Panorama, of course, was newer and bigger, but whether that makes a difference depends, in part, on what you like to do on board and what you value?  Panorama had more activities, more "bells & whistles".  But do your research on the differences and decide which, if any, of the differences you may use or enjoy.  Compare and contrast the dailies and amenities of each ship.  Any differences in the cabin choices you're considering? Do you put more value on cruising on a newer ship?  

Overall, for us the differences weren't enough.  We'd go with the better itinerary because the primary activities we do aboard are available on both ships.  

I would pick Freedom and it wouldn’t be close.  However, I am not a fan of Vista class ships. The theaters/lounges are much nicer on Freedom than Horizon. However, if you don’t care about production shows or comedy shows, that eliminates a big negative with Horizon. I also found the ships very crowded on several cruises on Vista and Horizon. That has not been my experience on over a dozen cruises on Conquest class ships like Freedom. 

I don’t have any experience cruising with two year olds, but others can address that issue.  Bottom line is people like different ships for different reasons. Hopefully reading comments here helps you decide what ship will likely appeal to you the most. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, drgonzogoo said:

We love the Vista class ships! Soo much to do, and never feel its over crowded. However, a smaller ship like the Freedom would be easier with a 2yo. 

We went back to the Breeze after cruising on the Vista, and we felt like there wasnt as much to do, and we almost felt bored. So we are cruising on the Horizon this year. The ports i wanted were on a smaller ship and i lost out. But, i get to pick next year. 

It depends if you think you'll ever get to the ports you want. We are only on this rock for so long, and i'd rather see a new place than a ship.

Been on the Freedom several times I think it the best ship in its class. The Horizon is a great ship, however the live entertainment should be better when it comes to bands that play dance music. The Latin club is great which are only on the Vista class ships( I think)

Edited by shipbound2