Scooter in the room

GRACECRUISE

Sailing on Rotterdam in March.  Cabin 6215  Thinking of renting a scooter for my dad rather than wheel chair.  He uses walker around the ship.  The scooter will be used in port mainly.

I am hoping someone who uses them will be able to tell me the following:

Is there enough room in the hallways for the scooter to turn to get into the room?

Once in the room, past the closet is there enough room to get around the bed?

I do not want to leave out in hall or at elevator.  That is a hazard for sure.  We have not sailed the Rotterdam for a while.  Our last cruises have been on NA in signature suite.  This is a vista but not that big.

Thanks for any insight.  I have not booked either wheelchair or scooter yet.

We have rented scooters several times for my husband.  It is my understanding that you cannot leave scooters in the hallways or in the elevator bays although we have seen scooters by the  elevators on several occasions.  We generally get an accessible cabin and there is plenty of room for the scooter and the door is wide enough for easy access.  I think you need to speak with the cruise line special needs dept. for confirmation.  I do know that regular cabins have smaller doors and tighter space so a scooter might take up valuable real estate.  Hope this is helpful.

I plan to call them Monday prior to booking anything.  Also checking to see if any Neptune Suites available to upgrade to.  Thought that might help with space.  Found a scooter that comes apart with base, seat and battery so that is a possibility.

I think you need to make sure there is enough room in the hallway for him to make the turn into the cabin.  My husband just reminded me that we did ask our stewards to remove the coffee table once to enable him to turn the scooter around in our cabin.  

A scooter might not fit through the door of a regular Vista Suite and I’m doubtful that you could get it past the end of the bed/beds to turn around.  You might check and see if the have a designated handicap room available.  Those have bigger doors and more open floor space.  

If you do go with a Neptune, you will also need to check on door width if it is not a handicap accessible room.  

There are some non-accessible cabins that will take a scooter, but they are few and far between; I have used one in an inside cabin on the Rotterdam. There is room to turn in from the passageway, but then there is no place to go. 
They will fit through the door, but the problem is the narrow space when the closets are just as you enter, with the bathroom opposite. That makes a long corridor to navigate, and there just isn't that much room. There is no room to turn around once inside, and you can't ride backwards back to the door. 

If you find a scooter that comes apart, that could be a solution. Your father could get off at the door and walk in, someone takes the scooter apart, and brings the parts in. 
I have a friend that had a scooter that folded up like a suitcase. It worked in any cabin! 

16 hours ago, Se4deb said:

I think you need to make sure there is enough room in the hallway for him to make the turn into the cabin.  My husband just reminded me that we did ask our stewards to remove the coffee table once to enable him to turn the scooter around in our cabin.  

I think the Rotterdam's hallways are probably OK. But I did see a man having trouble turning his scooter into his room in one of the narrow hallways on K'dam.

35 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Did Xmas New /  Years on the Rotterdam. They left the scooters in the hall in most cases. 

Leaving a scooter in the passageway is absolutely, positively, no two ways about it, against the rules. 

Once in a while you will see a scooter left waiting for someone to come and pick it up to store it overnight. Usually that is on a wider, cross-passageway, which is less of a danger. 

Oh, and trays/dishes left in the passageways is also still against the rules, as they are a danger to everyone in emergencies, as well as blocking people who are in wheelchairs or on scooters.

There is no way to get past them when riding a mobility device. 

44 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Leaving a scooter in the passageway is absolutely, positively, no two ways about it, against the rules. 

Once in a while you will see a scooter left waiting for someone to come and pick it up to store it overnight. Usually that is on a wider, cross-passageway, which is less of a danger. 

Oh, and trays/dishes left in the passageways is also still against the rules, as they are a danger to everyone in emergencies, as well as blocking people who are in wheelchairs or on scooters.

There is no way to get past them when riding a mobility device. 

That rule was not being enforced on Veendam last time I was on her. There was a gentleman who left his scooter in the hallway all the time. My cabin was in the bow. It was had for me to get past it (and I’m not large).

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That rule was not being enforced on Veendam last time I was on her. There was a gentleman who left his scooter in the hallway all the time. My cabin was in the bow. It was had for me to get past it (and I’m not large).

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

A couple of times I was unable to get by with my walker -- even folded up -- when people left dishes and scooters in the hallways.

I wish HAL was consistent with their rules on all ships.

The room service tray usually has a little note on it saying to call for a pickup, so there's no excuse for putting the tray in the hallway. 

I know you don't want to be mean to someone with a disability, but a scooter in the hallway is a safety issue and if it's happening repeatedly, it should be reported. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Shame on Veendam's Hotel Dept (Executive Housekeeper) for allowing that! They definitely know better

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Did you contact Guest Services?  We had an issue like this on a recent cruise, and we were unable to get a wheelchair down the hallway to our cabin.  Guest Services contacted the owner and put a stop to it.

• Like 1