Cunard shuttle from Southampton port to London

cruisincorgi

Hello,

My wife and I will be doing an eastbound Transatlantic in September. Can’t wait for this amazing experience! My travel consultant told me about Cunard’s shuttle to London. Has anyone ever used this shuttle? Is this the easiest, most convenient way to get to London? What time does it usually leave Southampton? Approximately what time do they arrive at London-Paddington? Thanks very much.

The Cunard coach transfers to London go to either Victoria Coach Station or St. Pancras International railway station. The current price I'm seeing for either of those transfers is $70 per person. If memory serves, the call-off times for those transfers are usually somewhere around 8:30am. Figure roughly 2 hours travel time for those transfers. We've used the transfer to Victoria Coach Station on a couple of occasions and found it to be satisfactory since we've stayed at hotels in the immediate vicinity. Not sure that's the best option if you are trying to get to London Paddington though.

Thank you. I realized after I posted that shuttle didn’t go to Paddington. I suppose getting dropped off at St. Pancras or Victoria is no big deal; we’ll get a taxi. We need to go to Paddington because we are going to take the GWR train to Cardiff the next day. If there are better options, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Do you have things you want to do in London? Only asking because you can get a direct train to Cardiff from Southampton and it would mean less travelling time and I should think it could be done cheaper too.

We've used the shuttle bus to go to St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar.  It's a convenient affordable option for 2 people.  And if you have OBC to use, it's extremely affordable.  Note that the bus moved very slowly around the station in all of the congestion, but that can't be helped.

Echo wenlyn's suggestion.
Frequent trains.
Take the one at or about 11 minutes past the hour; it takes you to Cardiff without changing trains, in the shortest time - about 2.5 hours. Be aware, these trains usually have no first class or refreshment facilities.
You can buy tickets through https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

up to about 3 months before travel date. Fares vary, so be careful. Some are around  GBP80, others around GBP20, one way. 20 pounds (about US$25) is a nice price.

If you still want to go via London, consider taking the train into Paddington (change at Reading) with a hotel nearby, making it easier to negotiate London with baggage and for your onward trip to Cardiff (out of Paddington, as you say).

Edited by Canuker

Thanks so much for your responses. It is all very helpful. We do want to spend a day and  night in London before going to Wales. That is why I thought staying in Paddington (where I have stayed before and enjoyed) was the easiest. However, now we may consider going directly to Wales from Southampton, then come back to London a day earlier on the back end of our trip and for our flight home. 

19 hours ago, cruisincorgi said:

Hello,

My travel consultant told me about Cunard’s shuttle to London. Has anyone ever used this shuttle? Is this the easiest, most convenient way to get to London? 

I've been researching this for our eastbound T/A in May.  The Cunard coach was a steal when it was $40 p/p, but at $70 not very attractive.  Many operators will supply a private car and driver from the pier to anywhere in central London for £130-150.  One major London minicab firm will do it for £111.

Personally, I would (and will) still use the Cunard coach  pre-cruise from London to the Southampton pier if traveling on the same day as embarkation, to obviate concerns about road delays.  Obviously this does not apply post-cruise.

And here's a map, cruisincorgi, showing the 4 cruise terminals (red blobs A,B,C,D) and the railway station (green blob A).
You can see by the scale shown that it's not very far to the station from any of the terminals (I've walked it before). Cunard prefers terminal D, but it's not guaranteed by the port.
The rail station has elevators to all platforms and refreshments, newspapers etc. are available there too.
Assuming you will pre-clear UK immigration while on board ship (usual for Cunard crossings), just grab your bags, and you're away.

Your route takes you through Salisbury, Bath, Bristol and some lovely scenery in between - much nicer than the run up to London.

15 hours ago, Canuker said:

And here's a map, cruisincorgi, showing the 4 cruise terminals (red blobs A,B,C,D) and the railway station (green blob A).
You can see by the scale shown that it's not very far to the station from any of the terminals (I've walked it before). Cunard prefers terminal D, but it's not guaranteed by the port.
The rail station has elevators to all platforms and refreshments, newspapers etc. are available there too.
Assuming you will pre-clear UK immigration while on board ship (usual for Cunard crossings), just grab your bags, and you're away.

Your route takes you through Salisbury, Bath, Bristol and some lovely scenery in between - much nicer than the run up to London.

And unless you're running to catch a train, check out the tile designs in the station. Very Cunard!

On 1/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, Canuker said:

I usually take the train. If you are planning to do that, ask the taxi driver to drop you on the "London" side of the Southampton Central that way you will not have to go over the bridge with bags. Before I learned this time saver, every time I used the bridge the lifts were not working on one side or the other. and by using the London side there is no hassle.

10 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I usually take the train. If you are planning to do that, ask the taxi driver to drop you on the "London" side of the Southampton Central that way you will not have to go over the bridge with bags. Before I learned this time saver, every time I used the bridge the lifts were not working on one side or the other. and by using the London side there is no hassle.

On the other hand, if he is going to Cardiff, he would want the other side.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, Canuker said:

The Port of Southampton shows berth assignments. These are subject to change, of course, but in my experience changes are rare. The largest ship (in terms of passenger capacity, not tonnage) usually is assigned to the Ocean Terminal.  On my last crossing the QM2 docked at the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal for that reason.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

It says 2019 at the top of the page but ignore that. It was just updated in the last week to show the QM2 assignments for the second half of the year.

To co-ordinate with the excellent map that Canuker has provided: berth 106 is "A" the Mayflower Terminal , 101 is "B" the City Terminal,  berth 38/9 is "C" Queen Elizabeth II Terminal and 46 is "D" the Ocean  Terminal.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:48 PM, Bigmike911 said:

23 hours ago, exlondoner said:

On the other hand, if he is going to Cardiff, he would want the other side.

And if the Track controller alters the expected platform you could end up in the middle of both on Platforms  on 2a/b 3a/b  😁 

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 08.28.58.png

3 hours ago, Pennbank said:

And if the Track controller alters the expected platform you could end up in the middle of both on Platforms  on 2a/b 3a/b  😁 

Screenshot 2020-01-31 at 08.28.58.png

Doesn't happen that often, but, when it does, frequently at short notice, it is certainly an annoyance. 😀

Most secondary trains normally depart from that centre platform.  I have used platforms 2 & 3 for trains to or from Gatwick and also Brighton and have seen other trains, such as those to Salisbury. There is a lift for that platform and fortunately it has been working any time I needed it.

On my trips long ago I remember there weren't any lifts at Southampton Central.

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Most secondary trains normally depart from that centre platform.  I have used platforms 2 & 3 for trains to or from Gatwick and also Brighton and have seen other trains, such as those to Salisbury. There is a lift for that platform and fortunately it has been working any time I needed it.

On my trips long ago I remember there weren't any lifts at Southampton Central.

The Cardiff train , which does go to Salisbury, usually leaves from Platform 1. When the major trains leave from the middle platform, it is usually at short notice, because of a sudden problem or lateness, and after one has already installed oneself and one's luggage on the platform it usually is. Luckily, there are not an enormous number of stairs.