Carnival Horizon 8 day Southern Caribbean Cruise Review

jam19872016

Thanks so much for the excellent review and taking us along. I only wish, now, that the Magic had a JiJi’s Asian Restaurant. It looked awesome! And I don’t think I’ve ever noticed empanadas on my other Carnival ships. That, along with the egg salad sandwich on day one, are something to look for. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 4:25 AM, mk907 said:

Thanks so much for taking us through your trip review! Have a great next cruise!

Thank you! The next cruise was fantastic! Celebrity set the bar pretty high, hope I can readjust to Carnival and Royal.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:28 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

Thanks so much for the excellent review and taking us along. I only wish, now, that the Magic had a JiJi’s Asian Restaurant. It looked awesome! And I don’t think I’ve ever noticed empanadas on my other Carnival ships. That, along with the egg salad sandwich on day one, are something to look for. 

The Horizon is the only ship I have noticed empanadas on also. I love Jiji's and the only thing I would add to make the Dream class perfect would be a Jiji's. I am really surprised they are not being added to the Sunrise and Radiance during their refurb.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, MonikaNJ said:

Thanks for the detailed review! We just booked our 8 day cruise on Horizon for  February 20, 2021 and are really excited!

You're Welcome! Thanks for reading and enjoy your cruise, this is a great itinerary.

I have started my next review if anyone wants to read along 

• 9 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 4:53 PM, jam19872016 said:

I next made my way up to Lido for some hand scooped gelato which I buried in toppings. I ended up with a slice of cake and an empenada also.

IMG007-L.jpg

IMG008-L.jpg

IMG009-L.jpg

The empenada counter at the buffet was a nice addition. It was good but a bit too salty. I will try it again with some of the sauces available to tame the salt a bit.

The cake was fantastic and I had intended to skip it in favor of the gelato since the cake is on all the ships but when I saw it I could not resist.

The gelato was also good. The flavors today were mango and coffee. The flavors are always a bit odd but if you don't like the options, the topping bar is still great with the soft serve.

An empanada counter AND gelato???? OMG I can't wait a year to go.

Renee

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:50 PM, jam19872016 said:

I have priority so I was able to head right to my room which is a great perk. I dropped off my luggage then we headed up to Guy's BBQ for some lunch.

IMG005-L.jpg

This was very good, much better than the BBQ served on the Conquest class ships. It was also open on some port days not just sea days like other ships I've been on.

Passing by the coffee bar I see they are stocked up on Pepsi products.

IMG006-L.jpg

I know I am in the minority, but I prefer Pepsi over coke. I agree it tastes different than Coke, and in my opinion, better. 

I do not have a background in the bar and hospitality industry, but I have worked retail my entire adult life. Although Coke seems to be what more people prefer, Pepsi far outsells Coke at every place I have ever worked (in the south where Coke is probably even more prominent). Then their is Mountain Dew which also outsells Coke. Then their is their overall portfolio of beverages which is far more diverse and better selling. 

Those who think Carnival made a long term bad business decision, I can assure you they did not. More people may prefer Coke products, but more people PURCHASE Pepsi products. Either way, I am used to most establishments serving Coke and I can always drink whatever is available just fine. I was a little sad to see Vitamin Water gone but immediately got over it when I saw how much cheaper Gatorade was to buy. 

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Pepsi lovers here.  Husband prefers Mountain Dew and I'm a Pepsi girl.