Coronavirus paranoia on ships?

PortFees45

19 hours ago, desibee said:

Obviously I feel quite free to disagree. 🙂

But seriously, yes health care workers are always more at-risk to infectious disease than other community members due to the very nature of their jobs, and that holds true for any illness not just coronavirus.  However, following proper policies and procedures regarding sanitary disposal, hand-washing, etc. will most definitely benefit you and chances are these precautions will be more than enough to keep you safe.

You do have to keep in mind that your whistle-blowing colleague was in hospital in the epicenter of the outbreak under an overburdened system and therefore may not have been receiving the amount and quality of care needed for him to fight off his illness.  Most likely the same scenario won't hold true if you are in North America or countries with similar or better health care systems that are better prepared to accommodate the sheer numbers an outbreak like this would cause.  As I have REPEATEDLY said, if you are in mainland China right now, and especially if you are in Hubei province, you have every reason to worry and be concerned and some restrictive quarantine measures are needed.  If you are in a neighboring country that also has massive population numbers and an inadequate or underfunded health care system, then you should be worried too and urging officials to be proactive in preparing for the virus.

But for those of us outside of those specific areas, it really isn't something to create mass panic over.

I highlighted all the assumptions in red.

And I admit that I don't know how many ppl go into ARDS from Covid19. No one knows. That's the issue. It's a fact that no one truly knows, not an assumption.

Not to mention that there are many other nuances about ARDS that complicates things, but that's a conversation for another day with other doctors. 

I'm not going to respond to this thread any more. I follow evidenced based medicine. Thank you. 

Respectfully yours,

Dr. Farts, M.D.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, Trimone said:

Agreed, also Corona can lay dormant for up-to 14 Days? What’s screening going to prove... you could do a 7 day cruise and not know you had it.. 

This is what I’m worried about. And we booked next month to sail out of New York - where so many people from around the world travel. I’m extremely concerned. I won’t be using the buffet. Will bring disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer everywhere. Will wipe down the cabin as soon as we get there. Considering bringing some kind of gloves to try to help remember not to touch face. No Lido deck, public pools or jacuzzis. Will try to stay 3 feet away from people. While a mask would be even more diligent, I can’t see myself wearing one. This is going to be a very different cruise experience for us.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, Farts said:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/death-doctor-blew-whistle-coronavirus-sparks-outrage-china/story?id=68824245

Dr. Li Wenliang, 34 yo previously healthy man, was one of the original whistle blowers and he died. 

You panicking yet?

His death is tragic, but won't make me panick. His story to me is just as sad as other people in Wuhan. He is an ophthalmologist, and according to himself he contracted the virus from a patient came to him for eye disorder and later confirmed with the coronavirus. He said he noticed the patient coming for eye disorder coughed badly, I guess the patient coughed right into his face and eyes. Just like perfectly healthy individuals in his 20s or 30s can die from an ordinary flu.

I am concerned with the reported numbers, it obviously is not under control in China yet. As a health care worker in North America following the news since last December, I believe the risk of contracting the virus is minimal here and at present time I won't stop going to a cruise unless it's travelling to Asia. Unfortunately, I got denied to board solely because I carry a Chinese passport (haven't been outside of Canada for 2 years...). I do not like being discriminated by NCL and will not have future business with them, but I do hope other guests enjoy themselves on board. 

Also, I do have an uncle in China contracted the disease on January 21st, and he fully recovered after 9 days and dismissed on the 31st. Maybe it is bias that I only base on 1 person I know, I believe the patient outcome is not that bad...

Enjoy the cruise, don't panick. 

Edited by phire
  • Like 1