The Great Musical Afternoon Tea

Just looked this up and it is Explorer 2 and cost is £15.  Looks really nice, afternoon tea served on sea days in the Dining Club by white gloved waiters with music from the musicals.  Includes fancy sandwiches, cakes,  teas and a cocktail.  Fizz is extra.

Sounds appealing although not sure I could eat dinner after all that🍰

It certainly was on the other ships too We only ever ate there though if we missed lunch had afternoon tea and missed dinner - not very often though and I'm not surprised it was stopped as it was usually poorly attended very late at night. Currently few are eating now as late as 1pm that I've seen. I bet the staff were happy 😀

2 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Must admit the afternoon tea served in the buffet on E2 last year was very nice and we liked that it is served near the outside area.

I remember the midnight buffet but could never eat any after the late dinner.

Yes I remember it was a 24 hour buffet.  Also remember afternoon tea was free as well as bridge tours.

Five courses served in the MDR, quicky and efficiently.  Now three courses and can take up to two hours.

No wine waiters now.  So restaurant waiters waiters are run off their feet.

Chocolate lovers buffet and Buffet Magnifique.  Gone.

On arrival on the ship a crew member used to take you to your cabin.  Now they point the way.

British newspaper printed every day.  Not any more. 

No port maps now.

There wwere no restaurants where you had to pay a supplement.  Food was good in the MDR and buffet so no need to pay extra for a good meal.

The muster drill was done on deck and was taken very seriously.  You had to take your life jacket, stand in a straight line.  Men at the back, ladies in front and the captain and senior officers walked round the deck to inspect the drill.  Now they have become very lax and some treat it a a joke. 

There were lots of waiters in the theatre to serve your drinks. Now one crew member standing at a table near the entrance telling you to help yourself.

Lots of entertainment during the day.  Hard to chose at times and sometimes wished we could be in two places at once.  Now cruise news is full of Teeth Whitening,  Frozen Shoulder Seminars,  Water Retention Seminars etc.

Since Marella became AI there are now more things to pay extra for.   How strange  is that !!!!

• Like 1

Nancy, totally agree with your comments!  I've  read practically the same comments on another British cruise company forum. It seems the way life is going.

Just pleased we have been able to enjoy cruising as it was and hope to keep cruising. For us it's the itineraries that keep us going, love travelling and seeing new places.

42 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Yes I remember it was a 24 hour buffet.  Also remember afternoon tea was free as well as bridge tours.

Five courses served in the MDR, quicky and efficiently.  Now three courses and can take up to two hours.

No wine waiters now.  So restaurant waiters waiters are run off their feet.

Chocolate lovers buffet and Buffet Magnifique.  Gone.

On arrival on the ship a crew member used to take you to your cabin.  Now they point the way.

British newspaper printed every day.  Not any more. 

No port maps now.

There wwere no restaurants where you had to pay a supplement.  Food was good in the MDR and buffet so no need to pay extra for a good meal.

The muster drill was done on deck and was taken very seriously.  You had to take your life jacket, stand in a straight line.  Men at the back, ladies in front and the captain and senior officers walked round the deck to inspect the drill.  Now they have become very lax and some treat it a a joke. 

There were lots of waiters in the theatre to serve your drinks. Now one crew member standing at a table near the entrance telling you to help yourself.

Lots of entertainment during the day.  Hard to chose at times and sometimes wished we could be in two places at once.  Now cruise news is full of Teeth Whitening,  Frozen Shoulder Seminars,  Water Retention Seminars etc.

Since Marella became AI there are now more things to pay extra for.   How strange  is that !!!!

Afternoon tea is still free!

Similar cutbacks on other cruise lines, you should read the moans on the P&O forums

The muster drill is still taken seriously, on larger ships there is no room on the promenade deck and it is safer to have the muster inside the ship, carrying lifejackets is no longer required because of the danger of tripping over trailing tie cords, yes it does happen

still choccies on the pillows

If we had all the things we had decades ago the price would be a lot higher and there would be lots of moaning

2 minutes ago, marylizcat said:

Another thing I noticed when reading up about Explorer, is that there is a paid for ice cream counter. There always used to be a good selection of free ice-cream in the buffet!

Still a basic selection though!

I’m pleased to hear there are still choccies on pillows. Cruised with RCI last summer and missed my chocolate!

I suppose they don’t bother with bar service in the theatres any more because there’s no profit in it for them with AI. Before, the more drinks they could sell you the better. Now the fewer you drink, the better.

9 hours ago, marylizcat said:

Another thing I noticed when reading up about Explorer, is that there is a paid for ice cream counter. There always used to be a good selection of free ice-cream in the buffet!

On E2 from Naples last year the ice cream on deck was delicious and at 1euro per scoop we thought it wasn't bad value.

9 hours ago, marylizcat said:

I’m pleased to hear there are still choccies on pillows. Cruised with RCI last summer and missed my chocolate!

I suppose they don’t bother with bar service in the theatres any more because there’s no profit in it for them with AI. Before, the more drinks they could sell you the better. Now the fewer you drink, the better.

Quite liked the drinks table going into the theatre especially if we are a bit late. If you want something not on the table they will get it for you. Also don't have bar people walking around while we're trying to watch the show.  Good and bad points with everything!

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Afternoon tea is still free!

Similar cutbacks on other cruise lines, you should read the moans on the P&O forums

The muster drill is still taken seriously, on larger ships there is no room on the promenade deck and it is safer to have the muster inside the ship, carrying lifejackets is no longer required because of the danger of tripping over trailing tie cords, yes it does happen

still choccies on the pillows

If we had all the things we had decades ago the price would be a lot higher and there would be lots of moaning

Yes afternoon tea is still included in the price Dave, not free,  but it's not the special afternoon tea in the lounges that used to be included a few years ago when it was Thomson.  The afternoon tea we are talking about here is now chargeable. 

There was a danger of tripping on cords when the life jackets had to be taken to the muster but people were always warned about this in the announcements and told to be aware. 

The prices are a lot higher now compared with companies like P & O and other lines. Ok drinks package included but not everyone wants it. Tips included but the majority of passengers still tip their cabin staff and waiters anyway. ( our choice )

Lots of cruise lines now offer free drinks packages, free gratuities and many have loyalty schemes.

Prices for balcony cabins and solo cabins are also very expensive on Marella.

Just saying there have been lots of cut backs, price rises and things that were included a few years ago are now paid extras .

Just reminiscing about the good times in the past when it was Thomson.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marylizcat said:

"I suppose they don't bother with the bar service any more because there's no profit in it for them with AI. Before, the more drinks they could sell you the better. Now the fewer you drink the better. "

Think that's the idea.  Big reduction in staff.   Instead of several bar staff in the theatre they just need one standing at the table now.   I remember when you were told to go and sit down at a table and waiters would come to you if you went to the bar yourself to order a drink. Now big queues at some of the bars in the evening.