Caribbean Princess questions

Notch8

Thank you to all who browse these boards and share their knowledge and experience with those of us who are relatively inexperienced cruisers.  I have been browsing the postings to see if I can get some answers to questions that I have regarding an upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

We are taking a Western Caribbean trip out of Ft. Lauderdale this summer, and have only sailed with Princess once before.  Our prior cruise experiences have been with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Disney.  We are myself, DW, and our four offspring (dare I call them kids when they are 21, 19, 17, and 15?)

1.  Last time we sailed with Princess it was on a Mediterranean cruise.  When we got on the ship we were permitted to go right to our rooms, which were ready.  Browsing this board, it appears that this isn’t always the case.  Does anyone have recent experience with this?

2.  Last time we were on they had a sit-down breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day in one of the dining rooms.  Carnival, on the other hand, has “seaday brunch” which I guess is supposed to replace both?  Is the dining room breakfast and separate dining room lunch still available on Princess every day?

3.  The last ship we were on had Planks and Steamers, as does the Caribbean Princess.  (Emerald Princess.)  Extra charge if you wanted to eat there; it was $12 per night.  BUT – they weren’t open every night!  In fact, on our 7 night cruise, each was open only 2 nights… and they were never open on the same night.  What should I expect on the Caribbean Princess?  (The kids wanted to eat at Planks because they love Barbeque but it wasn’t open on the nights that worked out with our schedule.)

4.  When we were on the Emerald Princess, they had signups for the Magician’s Escape game.  We saw it in the patter on the first sea day but when we went to sign up at the appointed time and place we were told that all of the slots were taken on the first day!  Does Caribbean Princess have this game?  (Appears to have it, based on my searches on the boards.)  Is it $5 like it was on the Emerald?  What should I do to ensure I get slots for my family?  (We all love escape rooms.)

5.  We have a balcony room and an interior (guess who’s in the interior…  hint it’s not the ones paying for the cruise) and I understand that there are two chairs on the balcony.  We'd like to be able to invite the rest of the family over to enjoy the balcony from time to time.  I’ve read other posts where people suggest bring on collapsible folding chairs (like the ones you take to watch a child’s soccer game).  How do you bring these onto the ship?  Do you tag them as checked luggage?  Are there any issues with bringing these along?

Thanks in advance for your help; we are truly looking forward to our trip.  The ship looks exciting and we already received a complimentary upgrade on the balcony room to a Premium balcony (the ones with the extra large balcony…  so expecting to have room for folding chairs.)

Sincerely,

Jim

1) Generally speaking, rooms are ready at boarding. The larger ships, usually by 1. We never aim to be first aboard, so rooms have always been ready when we arrive. Plan for then to be ready, if you're boarding around 12/12:30. Earlier, it's hit or miss 

2) one dining room is open for breakfast daily, and lunch on sea days. 

3) usually open every night, they may alternate a few nights, but expect them open more often than not

4)can't help, except keep an eye on Ocean Journey and Patter for when it's offered and be there early for sign ups..

5) 2 balcony chairs and one desk chair in each balcony cabin. Plus small bistro table. Sure, you can take some foldable chairs aboard with you, but wow - awkward for carry-on/off, storage, et. Maybe the collapsible director chair type with their own carry bag??  Would never consider it myself, but YMMV.  The "kids" can sit on the bed, right near balcony anyways, or bring a chair from their room also..(Are they nearby, few cabins away?  probably best option). 

Enjoy.  

They advertise that rooms are available at 1 PM however you can leave your carry on luggage in the room as soon as you board.  We are usually on the ship by noon and leave our carry on luggage in the cabin which most times is not ready for occupancy.

I will echo what has been stated that breakfast in the MDR every day and lunch on sea days. The ship will offer s British lunch on one sea day most likely in the Wheelhouse bar.  The newer Planks and Steamers which replace the Caribe Grill is open for breakfast (custom omelets) and lunch (wok for your creation) for free while the dinner is $12.  You can sit in either space and order from the other restaurant.  They were open every night on our cruise.

I suggest that if you are interested in any special activity, you inquire at the PSD the day you board.

You certainly are free to carry on aluminum folding chairs like used to watch sporting events etc.  The problem is the smaller balcony's on most cabins.  Since you have been upgraded to premium balcony there should be space to use the extra chairs and to store them.  Just have a way to tie them down when not in use.

The CB is a great ship and we will be on her again this summer.

Thank you for the replies!  I'll definitely take up the suggestion to ask at the PSD (= Passenger Services Desk?) upon arrival.

And - the chairs I am referring to are the ones that fold up into a nylon bag, not the old style ones that fold flat.  I'll think about what options we may want to consider.

Appreciate all of the help!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, Notch8 said:

Thank you for the replies!  I'll definitely take up the suggestion to ask at the PSD (= Passenger Services Desk?) upon arrival.

And - the chairs I am referring to are the ones that fold up into a nylon bag, not the old style ones that fold flat.  I'll think about what options we may want to consider.

Appreciate all of the help!

On other ships the steward has brought extra chairs on request.  This might be a possibility but if the youngsters want to drag a chair in a sling bag, shouldn’t be a problem! 

• 2 weeks later...