Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

Good morning to everyone. Last night on the Sojourn we had a wonderful Indian epicurean spectacular at the pool, and given the stock market action and self quarantine that the ship is under, I must say a pretty wild night by Seabourn standards as there must have been 300 people dancing, lots of rum etc was being served) around the pool at 10 pm. 
 We have to remember why we came on this ship and this cruise in the first place, and while half the ports we canceled on them or they canceled on us, I don’t see a lack of attention, service or amenities given the situation. 
 We’ve been 10 days in a row without stepping off the ship, but the scavenger hunt continues, lectures go on, bridge, ping pong, art classes, etc seems to keeping everyone pretty busy. 
  To be honest, I don’t know those passengers who were on their way to Darwin to sail to nowhere don’t detour to Perth to catch us, although I still say a screening test should be done before anyone gets on board. 
my us political comments were made simply because the cdc represents doctors and the state department represents who exactly? 
Given the fact that there must be a dozen or more international airports in America that people from the 80 affected countries could fly into over the past three months, and up to now it was US policy to downplay the virus and the numbers, don’t be surprised if the us cases rises to 20000 within three weeks only because that’s what it’s probably at now. 
  The aussies are complaining that three out their last four cases were people who got the virus in America, so my only comment will be that the US government did not do proper testing and quarantine six weeks ago when it should have, and they will probably suffer the most because they were not willing to take the virus threat seriously. 
 I just received the Regent quake tee etc, and I’m sure Seabourn will follow, but as I said, when you are comfortable booking a cruise, do so, but do so knowing the risk to yourself and others. 
back in January, we had heard and knew about the virus, had paid in full, zero refund was being offered and that’s why we’re now floating to Australia.  There are two cases of the virus back home and the people are cleaning out toilet paper, tuna cans  and wipes off the shelves, So not sure that’s a better place to be that on the Sojourn, but time will tell on that one. 
   Today there’s a Country Fair at 530 at the pool, but a massage will be taking its place, so keep working on getting iron clad guarantees from Seabourn with no deposit , the customer always wins in the end. 
lastly, as a Canadian who married an American , I’m allowed to have an opinion at least on how we see the country we always admired the most besides our own. 
 I believe their Leader stated not so long ago that the virus was a hoax perpetrated by his opposition, and last week he was at a conference where a few infected people happen to attend. 
 The question came up today whether he was tested, wouldn’t that be an ironic hoax , just saying. 
six more days at sea, I believe many don’t want to get to land, it’s nice here right now, not sure how civil the outside world is right now. 

38B29B50-07AA-4525-826C-BD059623DC10.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

You're absolutely right.  It's not superb when you get struck by a car crossing the street. It's not superb when you're on a mainstream line( ie.  Princess) and get quarantined.  The chances of this happening on a Seabourn ship are lessened

to a large extent. The why's and wherefores are too numerous to mention. If you ever went to Vegas or another gambling venue, you check the odds before putting your money down.  Similarly, your odds are greater if you are in contact with a "carrier" or are not precautionary and would be lessened on a SB ship.

Viruses spread quickly on cruise ships. Also before arriving on the ship most people have come through airports and been on air planes so there is a greater risk of someone having been in contact with the virus. And even if you are on a cruise and you do not get the virus if one other person does get it the whole ship is quarantined. The risk of catching the virus if you are home is not as high as it is being on a cruise ship with a group of people who have all been through airports and airplanes.  I think the precautions are reasonable. 

16 minutes ago, ael123 said:

Viruses spread quickly on cruise ships. Also before arriving on the ship most people have come through airports and been on air planes so there is a greater risk of someone having been in contact with the virus. And even if you are on a cruise and you do not get the virus if one other person does get it the whole ship is quarantined. The risk of catching the virus if you are home is not as high as it is being on a cruise ship with a group of people who have all been through airports and airplanes.  I think the precautions are reasonable. 

CORRECT in everything you say. Whether it be the Norovirus or COVID-19, a high percentage of passengers seem to disregard hand washing or the hand sanitizer stations aboard.  This is why cruise ships are called "petri dishes" and there are sneeze shields at the buffet. Without a doubt, home is not only where the heart is but also the safest place when you want to avoid viral infection.

February 28 New England Journal of Medicine paper describing the report of the Chinese experience (patient ages, who within the population was tested, analysis, etc.), if anyone is interested,  and Dr. Fauci’s editorial in response at the time:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?query=recirc_mostViewed_railB_article

Believe me, I will stay away.  I just couldn't stand by and let him call Dr. Fauci an idiot without saying something.  He is saying that Fauci is Trump's stooge.  So not true.  (I will not get into politics here, but we are in a difficult time for sure.)  The TA is a bully and misleading.  It is certainly not worth being threatened.  I am sorry that happened to you.  I stand by what  I posted though and I am glad I said it.  I would not expect people from the UK and from Australia to be familiar with Fauci and they may well believe that he is a yes man for Trump, not realizing that he is a real expert.   You can go and read the exchange.  

Edited to add:  I googled and read what you suggested.  Wow.  My husband is a lawyer.  Those are serious ethical complaints.  

Yeah I think one of them is now no longer public. I read the actual transcripts from the hearings and the behaviour he was accused of is very similar to what I experienced on that website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of speculation on this thread, from the post: "this virus is man made and weapons grade" (post 537) - I never saw anything to back that up - did anyone else?, to people sharing their personal health issues.  Everyone has to make their own choices - and I agree Seabourn's policy is very deficient especially when compared to other lines (see Regent for a good example of what a luxury line should be offering to booked guests).  In the US the CDC and State policies have been driven by political considerations rather than science, although they now seem to be able to divorce themselves from the re-election campaign.   Airline cancellation rules are all over the place.  United pretty liberal, Delta very restrictive.  

Someone I respect who runs a major research lab that is part of a much bigger US hospital, and gets daily updates from the various groups in her organization, told me that travel for healthy people should not be a concern, rather "it is immune compromised people who are most at risk."  That is not to say a healthy person can not contract Covid-19, rather that if they do the chance of recovery is very good.  

A different calculation that one needs to take into consideration is will the itinerary they booked be what the cruise actually does, and if not are they willing to take the cruise?  Again everyone has to take into consideration their own health conditions and how flexible they are willing to be and what if they have to be quarantined if anther person on their cruise exhibits symptoms or tests positive. YMMV.

You are referring to my post where I relayed what my doctor told me his view was on travel and the Coronavirus. I never speculated that his views on the origin are correct I was simply pointing out that a doctor who had clearly done a lot of research was at pains to point out that this virus is incredibly serious.
No one can prove where the virus originated from because the source still has not been found.
I don’t see the difference in my post quoting a talk with a health professional which you claim to be unsubstantiated speculation with your own post that quotes someone who runs a lab? Completely unsubstantiated speculation.
Not to mention your speculation that “policies are driven by political considerations rather than science” - please this is not SPECULATION.
Before you throw mud get your own house in order. Hypocritical and judgmental post of the year nomination

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

Believe me, I will stay away.  I just couldn't stand by and let him call Dr. Fauci an idiot without saying something.  He is saying that Fauci is Trump's stooge.  So not true.  

Here is what Dr. Fauci is saying about cruises now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2020/03/09/fauci-says-cruising-is-ok-if-you-are-healthy/

I think it’s awesome that both those with skin in the game (e.g. cruises in the next few weeks) and the armchair quarterbacks all get a fair shot to weigh in with their opinions.  

At the end of the day, everyone has to complete their own individual risk assessment and hopefully do so seeking the counsel of personal physicians and inputs from multiple data sources.  I have the good fortune to be more plugged in than the average cruiser with a number of highly reliable health care sources from top-notch programs.  What I am hearing consistently is that yes, this is a volatile situation but that exercising the same cautions one would take during a high period of flu outbreak is the best approach.  Practice social distancing, eat well, keep your immune system up, and be prepared for sudden or unplanned changes/disruptions to your daily routine.

Personally, I am going to make decisions that are data-driven and balanced, not fear or opinion based.  For many of us, there are many more moving parts to this situation than just “to cruise or not to cruise”.  

Edited by jenidallas
Damn you Autocorrect!!!
  • Like 2

I cannot believe what I read on this topic. An argument about what appears on a death certificate? Covid-19 or pneumonia? Who the hell cares? Let's get real and stick to the topic at hand: Seabourn & the corona virus. Let's stop squabbling like children & provide relevant information if we have any.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, legal holiday said:

Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly.

×××××××××÷××××××××××÷×××××××××

Not being a lawyer, but as a layman, I have already posted here my dissatisfaction with Seabourn handling of the matter of these disruptions, alterations and cancellations....

To read the above, which is essentially a .... " fake credit " ,  mostly due to the restrictive and very pro SB conditions

makes me regret even considering my SB 30+ day trip due to leave in 11 days.

I thought, despite everything, that we would wear the new, very mangled and 100% different itinerary, PROVIDED SB covered the costs of DIFFERENCE of the NEW air and hotels needed for the new embark/debark ports. Reasonable ?

We asked our travel agent to contact SB for reassurance. Travel agent emailed back and has told us that SB will not contact us by email or phone me. We am just to wait and see.... in other words, 5 weeks after we return home, THEY will decide WHETHER we get any recompense...

I am quitting posting here, I have said my piece. This company is very quick to accept large chunks of $$$, promise the earth to its clients in terms of service, but apparently this is onboard only...

Back in the counting house, we are very much numbers in the SB ledgers....

Anyone who lived in a seasonal tourist town knows that you can't piss off the local regulars, they are your bread and butter.... This company is not doing the right thing its being slow and secretive in acting...

Our Australian PM, (of whom I am not a big fan), did speak the truth yesterday, a very important matter when the chips are down....

Quote from Australian PM speech yesterday...

We need your perseverance, your planning, your enterprise. We need your common sense, we need your calm, we need your commitment. But we need your patriotism, as well.

We need you to support your workers, by keeping them employed. Hold onto your people, because you will need them on the bounce back on the other side. Wherever possible, support them - full-time, part-time, casual, including with paid leave if they need to take time off during the course of the virus.

We need you to support your small business suppliers by paying them promptly. Pay your suppliers not just in time, but ahead of time, especially now.

You know what, you want to know what you can do to keep Australians in jobs? Keep businesses in business? And support Australia through this crisis?

If you are a large business, go back to your office today, pay your supplier invoices and commit to pay them even faster for the next six months.

That is what sticking together looks like.

How you support your customers, your suppliers, your employees during the next six months and potentially beyond, will say more about your company, your corporate values and the integrity of your brand, than anything else you’ve likely done as an organisation.

Enough said....

Edited by zimflyer
  • Like 2

Confused on future cruise credit discussion. Is this about (1)  rebooking a new trip under the new cancellation policy? or about (2) future cruise credit provided as an apology for a totally rejiggered itinerary?. If based on (1)  I don't understand what one would be returning from if you never went so I’m assuming it’s the latter situation (2).  I’d also assume a future cruise credit for cancellation in lieu of a refund would not require any additional deposits because they already have a significant chunk of cash from you. If it's a credit to make up for a mushed up trip I can see why they'd treat it like a new booking. And why one could still negotiate a bit down the road. 

Edited by jozi

If we cancel Sojourn next 11 days, under current policy only option is FCC to be booked on sailing before 31 DEC 2020.

The quote above shows how risky and biased the FCC may be...

On 3/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, legal holiday said:

Here are some issues with the future cruise credit being offered by Seabourn and why it could eventually cost you a lot of money if you end up cancelling as your cruise date became closer.

1.  In order to use the future cruise credit, you have to re-book within 90 days of cancellation even though the future cruise may be up to a year and a half away.  You can't use the FCC for your deposit, so you will have the deposit as well as full amount of FCC, perhaps 100% of the total cost, tied up for such period.  Given tight 90 -day window for re-booking, you won't be able to wait for one of Seabourn's periodic super-sales before booking.  This feature alone could cost thousands.

2.  Presumably, once you book, you will have no right to cancel or to re-price your cruise based on future Seabourn discounts which are typically offered from time to time during the period before 120 days prior to the cruise.  Again, a significant cost negative.

3.  Normal travel insurance at standard prices is unlikely to be available for something you can't cancel at any time for a period of up to a year and a half without the complete loss of the deposit and the FCC, which could be 100% of the cruise cost.  Also, would insurance even cover the loss of the FCC if you had to cancel because of sickness, death, etc.

4.  In the terms and conditions for the FCC stated by Seabourn, you can't combine the FCC "with any other  offers".  This could mean you might not be able to book at a sales price even if there was a Seabourn sale and other benefits being offered at the time you booked within 90 days of the cancellation.  No suite upgrade, no on-board credit, no additional 5% discount for Seabourn club membership, no free internet minutes, no air credit, and maybe no discounted price then being offered if there is an expiration date for such price in the sale.  This is a real potential cost negative.

5.  In the terms and conditions, Seabourn reserves the right to modify or withdraw the policy at any time without notice for any reason.  Significant risk that for financial reasons, Seabourn could cancel the policy, say in April, stating that the virus was not so bad, which means you could have a 75% cash penalty (with no right to an FCC for such amount) if you cancelled thereafter because you felt differently than Seabourn about the virus risk.

6.  Finally, in the terms and conditions, Seabourn states that the FCC may be subject to "additional terms and conditions as provided by Seabourn" without any clarification of what they could be. 

If Seabourn wants customers to stick with it during this uncertain period, the policy needs to be more customer friendly.

Not being a lawyer, but as a layman, I have already posted here my dissatisfaction with Seabourn handling of the matter of these disruptions, alterations and cancellations....

To read the above, which is a ....                " fake credit " , mostly due to the restrictive and very pro SB conditions

I thought, despite everything, we would wear the mangled 100% different itinerary, provided SB covered the costs difference of new air and hotels to the nrw embark/debark ports. Reasonable ?

We asked our travel agent to contact SB for reassurance. Travel agent emailed and has told us that SB will not contact by email or phone me. I am just to wait and see.... in other words, 5 weeks after we return home, THEY will decide WHETHER we get any recompense...

I am quitting posting here, I have said my piece. This company is very quick to accept large chunks of $$$, promise the earth to its clients in terms of service, but apparently this is onboard only...

Our Australian PM, (of whom I am not a big fan), did speak the truth yesterday, a very important matter when the chips are down....

Anyonr who lived in a seasonal tourist town knows that you can't piss off the local regulars, they are your bread and butter.... This company is not doing the right thing its being slow and secretive in acting...

29 minutes ago, zimflyer said:

To read the above, which is essentially a .... " fake credit " ,  mostly due to the restrictive and very pro SB conditions

I thought, despite everything, that we would wear the new, very mangled and 100% different itinerary, PROVIDED SB covered the costs of DIFFERENCE of the NEW air and hotels needed for the new embark/debark ports. Reasonable ?

We asked our travel agent to contact SB for reassurance. Travel agent emailed back and has told us that SB will not contact us by email or phone me. We am just to wait and see.... in other words, 5 weeks after we return home, THEY will decide WHETHER we get any recompense...

Anyone who lived in a seasonal tourist town knows that you can't piss off the local regulars, they are your bread and butter.... This company is not doing the right thing its being slow and secretive in acting...

We need your perseverance, your planning, your enterprise. We need your common sense, we need your calm, we need your commitment. But we need your patriotism, as well.

We need you to support your workers, by keeping them employed. Hold onto your people, because you will need them on the bounce back on the other side. Wherever possible, support them - full-time, part-time, casual, including with paid leave if they need to take time off during the course of the virus.

We need you to support your small business suppliers by paying them promptly. Pay your suppliers not just in time, but ahead of time, especially now.

You know what, you want to know what you can do to keep Australians in jobs? Keep businesses in business? And support Australia through this crisis?

If you are a large business, go back to your office today, pay your supplier invoices and commit to pay them even faster for the next six months.

How you support your customers, your suppliers, your employees during the next six months and potentially beyond, will say more about your company, your corporate values and the integrity of your brand, than anything else you’ve likely done as an organisation.

Enough said....

Seabourn needs to provide their customers the opportunity for a refund given these circumstances.  Once this situation clears up I would certainly be back if they did that.  The current revised cancelation policy leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  Unless things change the next time I cruise I will look at one of the other cruise companies and how they handled this situation.

• Like 1

We were offered a FCC for the March 14 sailing from Singapore to Athens, which we took.  That cruise is now cancelled, but we cannot receive a refund like everyone else, since we pulled out when they offered the FCC.  Also, as far as post #740 by Jozi, we have already booked a cruise for our FCC and a totally new deposit is still due.  The FCC cannot be used as a deposit. I am not at my happiest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zimflyer said:

Enough said....

Look how simple and direct some cruise companies are doing:

"Holland America said it will offer all guests affected by the cancellations a full refund, a 50 percent future cruise credit and reimbursement of cancellation fees."

• Like 1

Since we happen to have some time on our hands, I will venture off to the other cruise lines virus boards to see if everyone is in love with their cruise lines compensation cancelation policy. 
 I gather Seabourn knows each and every one of its passengers and what makes them/us tick, and as I said before, they will figure out the right thing to do as well as Crystal, Regent and Silverseas. 
Since so much has happened over the past month, with changes in schedules , ports and policies, I gather Seabourn has just been trying to keep the ships moving and passengers headed to the right port . 
 The good news out there seems to be that while many new cases are discovered, the death rate seems to be moderating as victims seem to have a common issue. 
there was interesting talk on the ship yesterday about “regular” Seabourn passengers and last minute fill ins, and I think that’s the greater danger here than to refund in full or give credit. 
 We could have gotten off the ship in the Seychelles and received credit for the unused days to be used within this year, something we thought not practical. Many actually booked Italian cruises on board for this summer before getting off early, wonder how those plans are looking today. 
It’s true the rules are changing every day, but decisions can only be made with the rules we have in front of us, but I’m sure that every single regular Seabourn client will be treated fairly, just show the respect back to them that you wish to receive yourself. 
it’s  a game of leverage right now,  and I guess the cruise lines don’t want passengers booking ten cruises with six companies with 48 hour cancelation notices only to be upset because someone else got a better deal a month from now. 
my crystal ball tells me that the cruise lines will park a few ships somewhere in dry dock for a few months and cut capacity down for the summer big time, 

debt at 3% they can handle, empty ships and full crews they cannot. 
the market will look a little different when Silverseas and Seabourn park five ships, then you’ll see people booking their rooms and cruises again . There’s nothing like being sold out to get people desperate to book. 
  In any case, we had a fantastic five course  room service dinner last night while watching six episodes of the Bing Bang Theory. On the big screen, life is still good aboard the Sojourn.  Today’s  speaker is discussing the sinking of the Titanic while we are in 15000 foot waters, timing is everything in life. 
good luck on those credit negotiations, we’re rooting the most for you guys, as our claim will be riding on your success. 

• Like 2

"there was interesting talk on the ship yesterday about “regular” Seabourn passengers and last minute fill ins, and I think that’s the greater danger here than to refund in full or give credit."

What does that mean? 

18 minutes ago, westmount said:

Since we happen to have some time on our hands, I will venture off to the other cruise lines virus boards to see if everyone is in love with their cruise lines compensation cancelation policy. 
 I gather Seabourn knows each and every one of its passengers and what makes them/us tick, and as I said before, they will figure out the right thing to do as well as Crystal, Regent and Silverseas. 
Since so much has happened over the past month, with changes in schedules , ports and policies, I gather Seabourn has just been trying to keep the ships moving and passengers headed to the right port . 
 The good news out there seems to be that while many new cases are discovered, the death rate seems to be moderating as victims seem to have a common issue. 
there was interesting talk on the ship yesterday about “regular” Seabourn passengers and last minute fill ins, and I think that’s the greater danger here than to refund in full or give credit. 
 We could have gotten off the ship in the Seychelles and received credit for the unused days to be used within this year, something we thought not practical. Many actually booked Italian cruises on board for this summer before getting off early, wonder how those plans are looking today. 
It’s true the rules are changing every day, but decisions can only be made with the rules we have in front of us, but I’m sure that every single regular Seabourn client will be treated fairly, just show the respect back to them that you wish to receive yourself. 
it’s  a game of leverage right now,  and I guess the cruise lines don’t want passengers booking ten cruises with six companies with 48 hour cancelation notices only to be upset because someone else got a better deal a month from now. 
my crystal ball tells me that the cruise lines will park a few ships somewhere in dry dock for a few months and cut capacity down for the summer big time, 

debt at 3% they can handle, empty ships and full crews they cannot. 
the market will look a little different when Silverseas and Seabourn park five ships, then you’ll see people booking their rooms and cruises again . There’s nothing like being sold out to get people desperate to book. 
  In any case, we had a fantastic five course  room service dinner last night while watching six episodes of the Bing Bang Theory. On the big screen, life is still good aboard the Sojourn.  Today’s  speaker is discussing the sinking of the Titanic while we are in 15000 foot waters, timing is everything in life. 
good luck on those credit negotiations, we’re rooting the most for you guys, as our claim will be riding on your success. 

I truly hope you are enjoying your cruise, but for those of us in reality . . . the situation is quite different.  I am particularly offended by the inherent implication from your statement I highlighted above.  Not all of us affluent Seabourn customers are retired or have the time to embark on a world cruise an not all of us are "parasites". Perhaps I am sensitive right now because of the issues we are going through right now with our Odyssey cruise  but the thought of losing my money for the cruise I booked 20 months ago is just hard to swallow. I am so hopeful that I will have the opportunity to experience this first rate Seabourn service you have all spoke of.

11 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I think it’s awesome that both those with skin in the game (e.g. cruises in the next few weeks) and the armchair quarterbacks all get a fair shot to weigh in with their opinions.  

At the end of the day, everyone has to complete their own individual risk assessment and hopefully do so seeking the counsel of personal physicians and inputs from multiple data sources.  I have the good fortune to be more plugged in than the average cruiser with a number of highly reliable health care sources from top-notch programs.  What I am hearing consistently is that yes, this is a volatile situation but that exercising the same cautions one would take during a high period of flu outbreak is the best approach.  Practice social distancing, eat well, keep your immune system up, and be prepared for sudden or unplanned changes/disruptions to your daily routine.

Personally, I am going to make decisions that are data-driven and balanced, not fear or opinion based.  For many of us, there are many more moving parts to this situation than just “to cruise or not to cruise”.  

I agree with your comments ... but, they do not take into account other guests, where they have been, whether they are a carrier etc. A male arrived in Brisbane from Spain France last week, had no symptoms whatsoever but was tested through the insistence of his mother due to the fact that he had come from those countries. He tested positive. He is 22 years old and currently in hospital but still does not show any symptoms. Our Health Dept are now seeking known contacts to prevent the spread. That is what can happen.  It is not you or me ... it is others who we may have contact with. 

Edited by ab21au

If you booked 20 months ago, you are not part of what the discussion was about. My writing skills are not as polished as they should be , but the worry was that with passengers not booing or canceling, Seabourn would be selling space to the large discounters who sell last minute rooms at large discounts. Good for people who live in port cities , but not necessarily great for the “brand”

I don’t want to generalize, but the word is those passengers are the most demanding, sometimes abusive, consumption driven passengers on board , with bottles being removed as well as anything that can be packed on the way out. 
  This comes from staff, so don’t shoot the messenger, and my point was discounting isn’t really isn't in the best interest of the brand, but business does what it has to sometimes, just mini add on voyages don’t mix well with scheduled journeys. Let’s just say for many reasons I’ll be happy to be departing in Perth. 
 If you think in terms of the old days when everyone had points to fly on planes that were full , and even if you booked 364 days in advance there was exactly one free seat available, we all can be facing future cruise credits on cruises we don’t want to go on in rooms categories we don’t like. 
  Take two ships out of circulation and voila, rule change. At the end of the day, there are three companies controlling most of the cruise ships in the world, they will remember the port cities that refused safe boats, they have shipyards and countries that need their orders and they have us that like wha they have to offer, although their cancelation policies have always been one sided. 
  If you are elderly ( define that term yourself) and have respiratory issues, stay home and safe for six months.
 If you wish to move about, do so knowing someone you know is going to get the virus which means you might as well, and be prepared for the result, whatever that implies. 
  I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but my Canada has about 100 cases of the virus, half from the crown princess affair, so you can see the frustration from politicians. 
   I did see that trump ‘discussed’ help for the airline and cruise industry, together with the fracking industry and everyone who pays payroll taxes in America. 
  Not sure the cruise industry was at the top of the list, but it was on the list, good start. 
btw, checked out the other cruise lines boards, seems the issues are the same, go figure. 
  Today is day 10 at sea, five more to go, Broome, you’re looking might sweet about now.  

31 minutes ago, westmount said:

If you booked 20 months ago, you are not part of what the discussion was about. My writing skills are not as polished as they should be , but the worry was that with passengers not booing or canceling, Seabourn would be selling space to the large discounters who sell last minute rooms at large discounts. Good for people who live in port cities , but not necessarily great for the “brand”

I don’t want to generalize, but the word is those passengers are the most demanding, sometimes abusive, consumption driven passengers on board , with bottles being removed as well as anything that can be packed on the way out. 
  This comes from staff, so don’t shoot the messenger, and my point was discounting isn’t really isn't in the best interest of the brand, but business does what it has to sometimes, just mini add on voyages don’t mix well with scheduled journeys. Let’s just say for many reasons I’ll be happy to be departing in Perth. 
 If you think in terms of the old days when everyone had points to fly on planes that were full , and even if you booked 364 days in advance there was exactly one free seat available, we all can be facing future cruise credits on cruises we don’t want to go on in rooms categories we don’t like. 
  Take two ships out of circulation and voila, rule change. At the end of the day, there are three companies controlling most of the cruise ships in the world, they will remember the port cities that refused safe boats, they have shipyards and countries that need their orders and they have us that like wha they have to offer, although their cancelation policies have always been one sided. 
  If you are elderly ( define that term yourself) and have respiratory issues, stay home and safe for six months.
 If you wish to move about, do so knowing someone you know is going to get the virus which means you might as well, and be prepared for the result, whatever that implies. 
  I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but my Canada has about 100 cases of the virus, half from the crown princess affair, so you can see the frustration from politicians. 
   I did see that trump ‘discussed’ help for the airline and cruise industry, together with the fracking industry and everyone who pays payroll taxes in America. 
  Not sure the cruise industry was at the top of the list, but it was on the list, good start. 
btw, checked out the other cruise lines boards, seems the issues are the same, go figure. 
  Today is day 10 at sea, five more to go, Broome, you’re looking might sweet about now.  

My apologies.  I misunderstood your original post.  I admit I am a little off my game as I work though all this with Seabourn, but I remain hopeful that all will work out!