Pros/Cons embarking in Miami

cravingthis

1 hour ago, red-dragon said:

I've only cruised out of Fort Lauderdale and Orlando.Ā  What are some pros/cons if I consider cruising out of Miami?Ā 

Thanks!

Pros; It's a massive port and can handle the people and the cruise ships.Ā  It's also a world class city with tons of art, culture, shopping, dining, sunshine, beaches, and attractions.

Ā 

Cons; It's Miami.Ā  It can be a $hitshow for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Pros; It's a massive port and can handle the people and the cruise ships.Ā  It's also a world class city with tons of art, culture, shopping, dining, sunshine, beaches, and attractions.

Ā 

Cons; It's Miami.Ā  It can be a $hitshow for sure.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Miami pros;Ā much to do, great hotel choices, near the port. Cons; itā€™s a big city.

Ā 

Thank you both!
Hotels are very pricey, wondering if 3 days would be sufficient to see Miami for the first time?

2 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

Pricey depending on the time of the year and events. Perhaps 2 days first time would be best as you can always revisit.

We normally fly in two days pre-cruise, but just looked at Miami hotels ... $$$
I just started my research, thank you!

Many choose to fly into FLL to save $ and then make the 30-45+ minute ride to Miami the morning of their cruise.Ā  www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.Ā  Flying into West Palm Beach is another option.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Many choose to fly into FLL to save $ and then make the 30-45+ minute ride to Miami the morning of their cruise.Ā  www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.Ā  Flying into West Palm Beach is another option.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. You meant Fort Lauderdale right?Ā  Thank you John!

Edited by red-dragon

6 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Oh wow, I didn't know that. You meant Fort Lauderdale right?Ā  Thank you John!

Uber x or standard Lyft from FLLĀ airport and nearby hotels will run about $35+ for the car, or there are several shared shuttles for about $15 per person - check with SAS, QLS, Go Airport and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Uber x or standard Lyft from FLLĀ airport and nearby hotels will run about $35+ for the car, or there are several shared shuttles for about $15 per person - check with SAS, QLS, Go Airport and others.

$35 from FLL hotels to Miami cruise port?Ā  Wow John, that's amazing.Ā 

Just wondering, if weĀ decide to stay in FLL, is there an area of FLL that weĀ should focus on to be closer to Miami?Ā  I took a look on Google maps ... we stayed in FLL once before (Plantation), but that was 10 years ago.
Ā 

Thank you for helping with our budget!

Edited by red-dragon

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

The site I have you includes maps. For one night I would stay in the downtown/17th street area, with lots of restaurants within walking distance (Embassy Suites, Hyatt, etc.)

Did I miss the site you mentioned above John?

9 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Did I miss the site you mentioned above John?

www.sunny.org offers lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

Ā 

It was in one of the other threads you were participating in.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

www.sunny.org offers lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

Ā 

It was in one of the other threads you were participating in.

Oh my bad, yes thanks for the reminder.Ā  I thought I missed something here ...lol
I've bookmarked that site!

I would stayĀ  in the Las Olas or Beach area if you are spending three days pre cruise.

Ā 

Honestly, I would bite the bullet and stay in Miami.Ā  Look at Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.Ā  Less expensive than South Beach or downtown/Brickell and very gorgeous areas.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I would stayĀ  in the Las Olas or Beach area if you are spending three days pre cruise.

Ā 

Honestly, I would bite the bullet and stay in Miami.Ā  Look at Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.Ā  Less expensive than South Beach or downtown/Brickell and very gorgeous areas.

We're down to 2 days due to budget.Ā  I will look at those two areas.Ā  It would be nice if we could experience Miami for the first time.Ā  Hopefully, I can find some good hotels that are budget friendly!Ā  Thank you!

Ā 

When do you cruise?Ā  The $300+ room in Feb can go for under $100 in August.

Ā 

We've had great times in Coconut Grove in the past. With 2 days I would look at Miami hotels, no matter where you fly into, and maybe spend most of a day ridingĀ the hop-on/off bus tour of Miami and Miami Beach.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

When do you cruise?Ā  The $300+ room in Feb can go for under $100 in August.

Ā 

We've had great times in Coconut Grove in the past. With 2 days I would look at Miami hotels, no matter where you fly into, and maybe spend most of a day ridingĀ the hop-on/off bus tour of Miami and Miami Beach.

Not until January 24, 2021, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much things cost now, for budgeting.Ā  We've never been to Miami before.Ā  I actually like cruising out of Fort Lauderdale.Ā  Next week, we'll be on Harmony!

Thanks for asking John.Ā  It might be too soon to look at hotels.

4 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Major airlines, such as United & Delta, should have availability out to your dates along with most Hotels. Southwest and other discount airlines will not post Jan 2021 flights for several months.

I have rewards with WestJet, but it's not showing dates yet.Ā  I'll check in a few more months.Ā  I normally book our cruise about 6 months out.Ā  This is the first time I've booked this far out (for me at least)!Ā  Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Flights are a challenge, but you should be able to book rooms now with reservations that can be cancelled without penalty - then keep shopping!Ā šŸ˜‰

Flights are stressful John!Ā  Our flights to Orlando (non-stop) were over $1,000 each!Ā  We were able to use our WJ rewards.Ā Ā 
I'll keep looking for some good hotel deals and book as you saidĀ šŸ™šŸ‘

If you are flying, I would go with Lauderdale. Miami airport is a mess. Lauderdale much more civilized and organized. Flew into Miami several times and each time swore, never more. PierĀ is a short hopĀ from Fll airport, 10 min with traffic. Travel from port Of Miami to Miami airport is nuts. IMHO.Ā 

• Thanks 1