Disembarcation - FT. Lauderdale port to FLL airport

rockjock75

We end our upcoming cruise on  Sunday Feb 16 when the  Eurodam docks in Ft Lauderdale at 7 am with 5 other cruise ships. Quick math results in about 19,000 passengers leaving these ships. We have a 11:45 am flight out. Do you think there will be a problem getting a taxi to the airport and making our 11:45 am flight.

Are there better options other than a taxi to get to the airport?

I am worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by rockjock75

This is discussed frequently on the Florida Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

as it is a ground logistics situation.

6 ships in Port Everglades is an average, perhaps a little below average, Sunday during cruise season. It is far from the record  number of passengers.

When you dock, you will see a HUGE line of taxis. It will be very easy to walk off and get one. You can easily make your 11:45 if you get off pretty early in the process, and grab a cab.

You should be all right with that timing. I would want to be off fairly early, but not necessarily in the first group. You could consider self-disembarkation, but I don't think it is required for your flight time. 

I disembarked around 7:45, with the Luggage Direct people, and was sitting at the gate at 8:20 for an 11:40 flight. Considering that use wheelchair assistance leaving the ship and getting through the airport---therefore depending on the schedules of others---I thought that was pretty good! 

• Like 1

We did the same in November and we had a 10am flight. 

We lined up to be in the first group getting off the ship. We were off just after 7.30am and at the airport by about 8am. We then had a nearly 2 hour wait at the airport.

Obviously everything went perfectly for us and the flight wasn't our first choice but Southwest had the right price and they changed flight times on us so we made the decision to chance it and it all worked out very well.

• Like 1

You will get a form to complete within a couple of days of boarding the ship.

That is where you indicate your flight time and assigned a time -- color code and number -- to disembark the ship.

Ft Lauderdale docks are only a few minutes from the airport.  Taxis line up each pier dock by the tons and the process goes very quickly.

• Like 1

In January, we had a flight leaving about one hour later than yours. Our ship started letting folks off almost an hour late due to our expected late arrival, we had a HAL transfer, we were I think the 4th group called, had 2 kids and a circus train load of luggage in tow, and we still made it to the airport and through security with 2 hours to spare. We were able to have a leisurely  lunch at the Chili's just past security and then mosey down to our gate. I think with a taxi you will be great. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

We just got off the Koningsdam.

We were in the second group getting off, scheduled for 8:15 but delayed until 8:45.

Our strategy is get a porter in the luggage area. He will take your bags and walk you thru special Customs line for porters and will walk you over to taxi line. I usually give him $10 which seems fair. We got to airport by 9:15. 

I recommend this stress free arrangement.

Enjoy your cruising days.

7 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

We just got off the Koningsdam.

We were in the second group getting off, scheduled for 8:15 but delayed until 8:45.

Our strategy is get a porter in the luggage area. He will take your bags and walk you thru special Customs line for porters and will walk you over to taxi line. I usually give him $10 which seems fair. We got to airport by 9:15. 

I recommend this stress free arrangement.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Excellent advice. Sometimes need to be quite proactive in waving a porter over, but we use them and they are great. We now park in the FLL garage, and porters will take us all the way to the car.