Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

14 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Statement from Princess:

Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

So if they make decisions out of an abundance of caution.  Logic would tell you that NCL does not use an abundance of caution.

Once the ship sails we will know within 14 days if anyone took it on board with them: Norwegian Logic.

Edited by elwood_98034
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Statement from Princess:

Although there are no known issues regarding coronavirus on board Sapphire Princess, we have made this decision out of an abundance of caution.

So if they make decisions out of an abundance of caution.  Logic would tell you that NCL does not use an abundance of caution.

Either that, or NCL figures that it, too, can wait until the day before scheduled embarkation to announce any cancellations. 🤬

20 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Straits Times (Singapore) is reporting three new cases in people who have no history of travel to China, and a tightening of border surveillance. They also mention that they have five 'clusters'. I don't know kids, but it looks like this is about to the reach the formal definition of Pandemic, if it hasn't done so already. We are now at WHO Alert Phase 4 according to the definition, where 6 (Pandemic) is 'Increased and sustained transmission in the general population'.

After rapid daily increases, new daily cases of coronavirus in China appear to be 'stabilizing,' the WHO said, as the lowest number of new infections in two weeks was reported

We have human to human transmission in Singapore, and Britain so far, but only on a limited scale. China and the cruise ship are other examples. The virus still seems to be adapting to its new best friends (us). Hopefully it won't like us, and disappear. Soon.

wonder what the flu chart looks like, i just got done with a bad flu, tens of thousands die from the flu each year, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newleno said:

wonder what the flu chart looks like, i just got done with a bad flu, tens of thousands die from the flu each year, 

Similar, probably. And there is no reason you can't get both, either at the same time or separately. There will be overlap, and the main cause of death (pneumonia) is the same for both of them. There are probably people with the coronavirus that get the flu and die from it, and vice versa, but I doubt anyone will be looking very hard to figure it out.

I hope you are feeling better. Stay safe. Washy-washy.

22 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

Maybe NCL is playing chicken to get as many voluntary cancellations (forfeit refund/credit) so that they do not have to issue as many refunds should they cancel last minute.

That’s what I’m thinking too. I hope this isn’t the case though because I don’t want them to wait until last minute. Especially for the people who are boarding flights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

Our medical experts are being briefed regularly and coordinating closely with international health authorities to ensure we protect the health and well-being of our guests and crew.  

Hmmmm. Princess medical experts are being briefed regularly and presumably concluded it is unwise to allow the ship to operate a cruise. 

Does NCL even have medical experts?

Are they being briefed regularly?

Princess had better disclose why they are cancelling a cruise the morning of the scheduled departure. That is equally as bad as NCL....they should have cancelled sooner in an abundance of caution. That cruise was scheduled to go roundtrip from Singapore and visit Thailand, Vietnam, etc, all places with increased risk.

Edited by blcruising
  • Thanks 1

Just got out of my meeting where I took the time to share about my experiences with Norwegian Cruise Lines. Now it's time to call them again.  Everyone continue to apply the pressure. My simple tweet above has had nearly 1000 views. It's our duty to save fellow cruisers from the nightmare that is NCL!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Princess had better disclose why they are cancelling a cruise the morning of the scheduled departure. That is equally as bad as NCL....

I respectfully disagree.  I think it is 1000 times better than NCL.  Yes it is a very inconvenient time to  cancel, but they are giving a 100% refund, 100% FCC plus extra expenses for those who traveled.  Clearly, safety is their number one concern.  

I would say that NCL had better disclose why they are NOT canceling our cruise.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Excuse me, but we did buy a very good insurance policy.  But most policies will not help in a situation like this unless you buy a very expensive "cancel for any reason" policy.

A cancel for any reason policy is good option for people who are concerned that they may need to cancel because of "reasons within their own circle of control".  For example if you own a small business, you may need the option to cancel if you're worried that something may come up at work.  Or maybe you want the option to cancel if you should find a better holiday option later on.

But I never imagined that I would want or need cancel for any reason policy because I felt the cruise was not safe!

A regular policy covered business issues for us once. We are self employed. The cancel for any reason through Allianz covers 80% only, but IMO that’s better than loosing 100%. And the CFAR that we added to our next cruise can be added before you make final payment. It was only an extra $200 for two of us. It’s not that expensive when we’re talking loosing 100%. 

Edited by FLConnie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lou33 said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think it is 1000 times better than NCL.  Yes it is a very inconvenient time to  cancel, but they are giving a 100% refund, 100% FCC plus extra expenses for those who traveled.  Clearly, safety is their number one concern.  

What would you say if NCL cancelled Jade 2 days before cruise sailing, with the same compensation.....??

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

What would you say if NCL cancelled Jade 2 days before cruise sailing, with the same compensation.....??

I'd say thank you...were outta here.   We are flying to Singapore in about 24 hours.  If we get to Singapore and find the cruise is cancelled for the same compensation, I would be ecstatic.  Yes it would be inconvenient, but we would get out of doing a cruise that we feel is not safe.  We would be getting enough compensation to do two future cruises at a safer time and place for free.  And since we bought airfare through NCL, they would have to buy us a tickets to get home.  And we would have a free two day holiday in Singapore to top it off.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FLConnie said:

A regular policy covered business issues for us once. We are self employed. The cancel for any reason through Allianz covers 80% only, but IMO that’s better than loosing 100%. 

But do you think that passengers should be responsible to pay extra to buy CFAR insurance because a crazy cruise line may otherwise send them on a cruise they feel is unsafe?  Remember, this would be a non-issue for any cruises booked through Royal, Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard because they have cancelled all of their Singapore cruises.  

For those booked on the Jade sailing Feb. 17 - you might want to hold those horses, knowing that some of you are already en route, possibly heading to the airport. this isn't looking very cool at all.  Again, based on what I am seeing on AIS tracking on ship movement AND live shipcam for the ship.  Jade made a U-turn; when earlier, it was heading to Chan May port, which is north of Da Nang / a little further south is historic Hoi An - and it is now going south, away from where she's supposed to be docking (already Thursday morning in VN)  Is there another last minute change of plan for those currently on the sailing ?? 

From live shipcam, she is most definitely at sea - cloudy conditions.  Why sail all the way past Ho Chi Minh City "yesterday" to go north first and then turn around, heading toward Nha Trang ?? next or what.   They sailed past Da Nang already  - Costa Neoramantc is heading there, according to AIS data.  

This doesn't look cool - is the Jade skipping the rest of the ports trying to get back to Singapore, with other cruise lines cancelling their upcomings as SIN has raised its outbreak alert and responding accordingly.  

Time to get more "intel" and get those scouting reports in ... posts & live blogs from other social media sources ??  Going to see what else I can find.  My apology if this is another false alarm and I rather be wrong about it.  

NCL Jade AIS Tracking 12Feb2020 17.50 EDT.jpg

Latest news - breaking - on 2nd. confirmed case among the US evacuees held at San Diego quarantine station.  

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3050352/coronavirus-second-confirmed-case-among-evacuees-san-diego-quarantine 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

I would say that NCL had better disclose why they are NOT canceling our cruise.  

Why was princess planning to operate a sailing from Singapore today to Asia? That's what I am criticizing NCL for doing.  The comp is nice, but I hold Princess to the same standard.

3 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

But at least Princess did something.  NCL has done nothing.  

No argument there. But it is the AM of the cruise over in Singapore. Folks have actually been in transit for a day.

My feeling is sending ships to or through Asia is careless and reckless to passengers and crew given what is known. That feeling applies to all cruise lines, equally, not solely to NCL.

I think you are on one of these sailings. Know that I am still hoping this works out for you and everyone impacted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Time to get more "intel" and get those scouting reports in ... posts & live blogs from other social media sources ??  Going to see what else I can find.  My apology if this is another false alarm and I rather be wrong about it.  

Love your updates!  Please keep them coming. As far as intel, I saw this on Twitter. Not sure how true or accurate it is. Several of us have asked Scott for an update, but so far he hasn’t responded  
PS, I see a ton of people tweeting about NCL and their actions which is fantastic!

68CFA4F6-B251-48BF-A138-1C5861E6ACB3.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

For those booked on the Jade sailing Feb. 17 - you might want to hold those horses, knowing that some of you are already en route, possibly heading to the airport. this isn't looking very cool at all.  Again, based on what I am seeing on AIS tracking on ship movement AND live shipcam for the ship.  Jade made a U-turn; when earlier, it was heading to Chan May port, which is north of Da Nang / a little further south is historic Hoi An - and it is now going south, away from where she's supposed to be docking (already Thursday morning in VN)  Is there another last minute change of plan for those currently on the sailing ?? 

From live shipcam, she is most definitely at sea - cloudy conditions.  Why sail all the way past Ho Chi Minh City "yesterday" to go north first and then turn around, heading toward Nha Trang ?? next or what.   They sailed past Da Nang already  - Costa Neoramantc is heading there, according to AIS data.  

This doesn't look cool - is the Jade skipping the rest of the ports trying to get back to Singapore, with other cruise lines cancelling their upcomings as SIN has raised its outbreak alert and responding accordingly.  

NCL Jade AIS Tracking 12Feb2020 17.50 EDT.jpg

Latest news - breaking - on 2nd. confirmed case among the US evacuees held at San Diego quarantine station.  

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3050352/coronavirus-second-confirmed-case-among-evacuees-san-diego-quarantine 

Those on board have been told Vietnam has denied them entry. Jade now heading for Log Samui in Thailand apparently.

• Thanks 2