Princess Vacation Protection, Cancel for any reason and EZAir

Jersey42

There is a thread on the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum asking questions about the Princess Vacation Protection plan.  The key question is what happens if you Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) and you have purchased air fare through Princess’ EZAir program?  I have found a few older threads on this subject with some conflicting answers.  Some of them include links to princess.com web pages, but it appears the contents of those pages have changed.  So if anyone has some recent experience with this, can you answer the questions below?  Here is the wording in the current Platinum coverage certificate:

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will provide you a travel credit equal to 100% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, for your use toward a future cruise vacation.

So the questions are, if you purchased air fare through Princess' EZAir: 

• Does Princess consider EZAir part of your cruise vacation cost and if you cancel will the air fare be part of your travel credit?
  • Can the travel credit be used on a future trip toward EZAir, or can you only apply it to the cruise fare?
  • Can you apply the travel credit to taxes/port fees or anything else besides cruise fare?
  • Is any of this addressed on the current princess web site? 

I participated in this topic on the Insurance forum.  We are looking for someone who has had experience with CFAR including EZAir.  I frankly would trust them more than an answer I got from a random agent at Princess.

• Like 2

We had to cancel about 30 days in advance of our cruise for a surgery.   Unfortunately, it did not fall under a covered reason due to my Husband being treated for the ailment 3 days before final payment was made.  We were given 50% refund and 50% cruise credit.  On EZ air,  we were given 50% refund and 50% airline credit good for 1 year for that airline.  

I have not used the insurance however these are the definitions in the data attached to the personalizer for my currently booked trips. I would still call Princess if it were me.  

PVP detail booklet:
Cruise  Vacation  means a trip for which coverage has  been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date   of the trip. 

Princess platinum data download for my state (ca):

Trip means Travel Arrangements as defined in this certificate

Land/Sea Arrangements means pre-paid land and/or sea arrangements made by the Travel Supplier. 

Travel Arrangements means: (a) transportation; (b) accommodations; and (c) other specified services arranged by the Travel Supplier for the Trip.    

Travel Supplier means Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours. 

14 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

I have not used the insurance however these are the definitions in the data attached to the personalizer for my currently booked trips. I would still call Princess if it were me.  

PVP detail booklet:
Cruise  Vacation  means a trip for which coverage has  been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date   of the trip. 

Princess platinum data download for my state (ca):

Trip means Travel Arrangements as defined in this certificate

Land/Sea Arrangements means pre-paid land and/or sea arrangements made by the Travel Supplier. 

Travel Arrangements means: (a) transportation; (b) accommodations; and (c) other specified services arranged by the Travel Supplier for the Trip.    

Travel Supplier means Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours. 

Yes, I see all of this information is shown in the download although the definition of Trip I see is a little different (Trip means a trip or class of trips as described on the Confirmation of Coverage.) But if you look at the document closely there are three sections:

• Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Provided by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours
  • Travel Protection Plan Certificate Including Applicable State Exceptions provided by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, OH
  • Non-Insurance Assistance Services Provided by LiveTravel

The CFAR is in the first section and all of the definitions are in the second section. So I am guessing none of definitions apply to the Cancellation Fee Waiver section.

Edited by Jersey42

14 minutes ago, Jezabel2924 said:

We had to cancel about 30 days in advance of our cruise for a surgery.   Unfortunately, it did not fall under a covered reason due to my Husband being treated for the ailment 3 days before final payment was made.  We were given 50% refund and 50% cruise credit.  On EZ air,  we were given 50% refund and 50% airline credit good for 1 year for that airline.  

Thanks for some real world experience.  Given you were past final payment date, do you know why they gave you a partial cash refund instead of a 100% travel credit?  Good to know that the airline credit was separate from the cruise credit.

8 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

The CFAR is in the first section and all of the definitions are in the second section. So I am guessing none of definitions apply to the Cancellation Fee Waiver section.

I agree it’s confusing however I’m focused on the part of cancellation waiver section that states “100% of the non-refundable portion of the cruise vacation.  Cruise vacation is defined in the PVP booklet as: “Cruise  Vacation  means a trip for which coverage has  been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date  of thetrip. 

I may not be interpreting this correctly so I definitely will await responses.

12 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Thanks for some real world experience.  Given you were past final payment date, do you know why they gave you a partial cash refund instead of a 100% travel credit?  Good to know that the airline credit was separate from the cruise credit.

Yes, we were at the 50% cancellation threshold so we received 50% cash and 50% credit on both.  We rebooked for later in the year for the same cruise and came out fine.

22 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

She got a partial cash refund because she cancelled before 30 days.  If you cancel within 29-57 days you get a50% refund cancelling within other time frames you get from 80% to 0.  This is with or without Princess insurance.  Read your cruise contract.

Edited by franktown
add

I've learned (the hard way) not to use the insurance offered by any cruise company..they have too many  "if, and or buts".

Use an independent company and the coverage will be better.  Our air is also covered in our vacation insurance package. We purchase insurance at time of final payment which includes EZAir payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

I participated in this topic on the Insurance forum.  We are looking for someone who has had experience with CFAR including EZAir.  I frankly would trust them more than an answer I got from a random agent at Princess.

Trust them or not, Princess will have the final say, not 'Sail Away Bob' on cruise critic.

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Trust them or not, Princess will have the final say, not 'Sail Away Bob' on cruise critic.

Not sure it would be Princess who has the final say, but the Insurer.  At any rate, was happy to hear of Jezabel2924's experience.

1 minute ago, LDVinNC said:

Not sure it would be Princess who has the final say, but the Insurer.  At any rate, was happy to hear of Jezabel2924's experience.

Then call the insurer.  Not sure why people are so reluctant to call those who can provide definitive answers.

I cancelled a transatlantic cruise which included one way business class EZair.  I cancelled the cruise because I found a Holland America cruise I liked better.  I had paid for the cruise and air in full.  I cancelled after the final cancellation date.  I got all my costs reimbursed except for the insurance.  I received about 80% as a credit to my credit card and the remainder in the form of a future cruise credit to be used within one year of issue.  I never could figure out the split and didn't want to rock the boat.  I was delighted with the credit to my credit card (it's like cash).  I thought that I would receive the entire return in the form of a future credit and was delighted that this was not the case for whatever reason.

A B2B paid for, cancelled after final pay date for first cruise. All Dr statements sent to Anon, first cruise was for a large amount, second for a small amount. Second cruise fare refunded within a week, first amount they kept requesting more and more info until I reminded them second was paid, then prompt payment (every penny except insurance cost).

20 hours ago, t&atravel said:

I agree it’s confusing however I’m focused on the part of cancellation waiver section that states “100% of the non-refundable portion of the cruise vacation.  Cruise vacation is defined in the PVP booklet as: “Cruise  Vacation  means a trip for which coverage has  been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date  of thtrip. 

I may not be interpreting this correctly so I definitely will await responses.

I don't have the PVP booklet, but based on the wording you posted combined with the wording in the plan certificate, it certainly implies EZAir should be covered under CFAR.  In addition, at least two other posters on this thread have canceled for any reason and received some travel credits for EZAir.  Thanks for the info.

21 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

20 hours ago, Jezabel2924 said:

Yes, we were at the 50% cancellation threshold so we received 50% cash and 50% credit on both.  We rebooked for later in the year for the same cruise and came out fine.

Duh .  I was too quick with my post and did not realize you were in the 50% penalty window. Sorry that you had to cancel, but at least it looks like you received exactly what one would have expected for both the cruise and the EZAir.  

18 hours ago, dag144 said:

I cancelled a transatlantic cruise which included one way business class EZair.  I cancelled the cruise because I found a Holland America cruise I liked better.  I had paid for the cruise and air in full.  I cancelled after the final cancellation date.  I got all my costs reimbursed except for the insurance.  I received about 80% as a credit to my credit card and the remainder in the form of a future cruise credit to be used within one year of issue.  I never could figure out the split and didn't want to rock the boat.  I was delighted with the credit to my credit card (it's like cash).  I thought that I would receive the entire return in the form of a future credit and was delighted that this was not the case for whatever reason.

I am very curious why you got back 80% in cash?  But if I were in your position, I would not have not wanted to rock the boat either and I would have kept my mouth shut.  When you said "I cancelled after the final cancellation date", do you mean you canceled within 14 days of sailing which is the 100% penalty period for cruises less than 25 days.  Or do you remember if you canceled sometime sooner.  In any case, the current Princess cancellation fee "buckets" are: deposit amount, 50%, 75% and 100%.  So an 80% refund doesn't fit any of the buckets. 

Has anyone else canceled for any reason and gotten more back in cash than they expected?

I don't recall exactly when I cancelled, but I do know that if I did not have insurance, I would not have gotten any refund at all.  It was after the date when I could cancel and receive money or a credit.

• Like 1