Traveling with son's friend ... sea pass and access to our credit card

Heather1972

HI all,

We are traveling with my son's friend this summer. We normally let our son have access to our credit card via the sea pass, and we monitor any charges. So, we do not wish for his friend to be able to charge to our card. Is there a way for him to charge to say his parent's credit card or just not at all? We are also hesitant to let our kid to have access to charging on the sea pass this time as we don't want our kid to tell his friend... "It's okay!" Teens! 😉 

You can set different amount limits for each card. You can set up with cash for them, too.

However, the adult is ultimately responsible for the minor so if the friend punches the TV and breaks it, the adult will pay for it (for example).

Make sure that all paperwork is in order before embarkation day.

19 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

HI all,

We are traveling with my son's friend this summer. We normally let our son have access to our credit card via the sea pass, and we monitor any charges. So, we do not wish for his friend to be able to charge to our card. Is there a way for him to charge to say his parent's credit card or just not at all? We are also hesitant to let our kid to have access to charging on the sea pass this time as we don't want our kid to tell his friend... "It's okay!" Teens! 😉 

You can certainly deny any person charging capabilities on their sea pass.  I suggest asking his parents to add him as an authorized user to their credit card and have him use that credit card.

I've roomed with a non-family member before and we were able to set up our sea pass cards to individual accounts so they could be charged to our respective credit cards. So this should be the same for you; but the friend will have to have some type of payment with him to secure his account - either cash or a credit card he is authorized to use. I believe he will have to have the card with him, simply knowing the number won't be enough.

7 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

When and where do I arrange cash or credit card for the friend? Is this done on ship or in advance online?  I don't want to be responsible for the parent's credit card either. 

One possible solution would be to ask "Friend's" parents to purchase one of the two following things (thereby setting a $ limit for friend to use):

1) On Board Credit.  It can be purchased by anyone ahead of time in passenger's name (Although, there is $1000 TOTAL limit for entire stateroom to have).    https://www.ncl.com/onboard-gifts

2) NCL Gift Card https://www.ncl.com/giftcard

It would need to be purchased Pre-cruise (I'd purchase at least a month ahead, maybe more).

The apply to friend's room card, onboard, at time of embarkation!

And, in general, maybe this link will be helpful  https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/spending

I always put in my credit card when I do on-line checkin. If I'm sharing the room when you get to the part about the account it lets you select whether it's for the whole cabin or just the person you're checking in. Sometimes they've asked for the card when checking in in person though, so even if the parents put in a credit card online the kid should have that credit card with him in case they ask for it. 

You don't need to allow charging on a given card. 

I have sailed with my kids, their friends, my niece, her friends, etc.  I never allowed charging privileges on their cards. There is not that much that costs money that it is necessary...and if they do want to do something that costs money, it is kind of nice to make them come back and find me and use my card.  At least that way I know what they are spending money on...and I know where they are. 

Go carts require reservations, so it was easy for me to use my card.

Video games are not something that they should be spending money on when on a cruise (so many better things to do with their time).

Soda at cruise ship prices is not something I want to encourage my kids to buy.  If I did have a big soda drinker, I would rather get them a soda package than pay a la carte.

I have done this for kids from age 11 to 21.  They kind of like it because it prevents them from accidentally "buying" something they thought was included.  

The friend can set up his own account using csh.  Who is paying the DSC??? If he is paying his own, make him PRE-PAY that and then anything he wants to buy on board can be used against his own cash account.  He doesn't need to put a lot down, maybe $100 because the DSC is already paid.