YTD ??

EmmasNana

On 2/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The only ships I know that do this from experience are Sunshine, Vista and Horizon. I assume this would also apply on Sunrise and Panorama, but don’t know that for certain. 

This applied to the Sunrise also.  Download the APP and this will help.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

it's worked well the way it was all these years, still think it's a dumb, inconvenient and unnecessary extra step

Agreed. We've seen lines form in the hallway leading into the MDR, but people line up on one side and exit on the other. It really wasn't that bad. When YTD gets too busy and backs up to a certain point, they start handing out pagers and everyone sits in the Lobby. If they want to keep that hallway clear, fine, but having YTD check in on a deck where the MDR isn't even located seems like an odd choice.

And before anyone says it again, yes I know the app is an option, but it's still an odd place for YTD check-in.

• Like 1

Yes checking in on deck 5 is a bit different than normal but they have seating areas on deck 5 for you to wait where outside the dining rooms there is no place to sit.  On other ships normally the midship restaurant is used for YTD and is normally right off the atrium with sitting room available to wait.   So although it is a 2 step process I appreciate having a seating area to wait rather than hovering outside the dining room waiting with no place to sit. 

On 2/8/2020 at 4:43 PM, snake114 said:

What if you have YTD and find a wait staff that you particularly like and want to request them again?  Any mechanism for that on the hub app?  We will be on the Panorama next week.

You can check in on the app, then when you get to MDR let them know you want a specific waiter/waitress and they’ll let you know if they can get you in that section or they’ll give you a time to come back. That’s how we did it on Vista. 

Leaving on the Vista at the end of this month and tried to down load the hub app, but it seems that my android phone is too old to work with the app.  

Anyone else have this issue??  I know I should upgrade my phone, but I hate the cost and the learning curve of a new phone.  Okay...I'm just cheap!?!

17 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

Leaving on the Vista at the end of this month and tried to down load the hub app, but it seems that my android phone is too old to work with the app.  

Anyone else have this issue??  I know I should upgrade my phone, but I hate the cost and the learning curve of a new phone.  Okay...I'm just cheap!?!

i have the same problem too. i have an android tablet that is only a few years old but it stuck using an older version of android because samsung no longer releases updates for these devices 😞

I have an iPhone but I looked at the Google Play store and the Hub app requires Android 7.0 or higher. That version came out in 2016.

My son's old iPad Mini can't be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5, but the Hub app now requires at least iOS 11.0 or higher. But since I installed the app on that a few years ago, it'll still work. It just doesn't have all the newest features since the device can't be updated.

38 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i have the same problem too. i have an android tablet that is only a few years old but it stuck using an older version of android because samsung no longer releases updates for these devices 😞

I wonder if I could use my Surface tablet.  I'm not very tech inclined, so I have no idea if I could do that or not.  If that would work, then I could schedule YTD from the state room.  I was really looking forward to using the Hub App.  

32 minutes ago, E@syPe@zy said:

I wonder if I could use my Surface tablet.  I'm not very tech inclined, so I have no idea if I could do that or not.  If that would work, then I could schedule YTD from the state room.  I was really looking forward to using the Hub App.  

Sorry, that isn't going to work. They don't have a version of the Hub app for Microsoft Surface. Only for iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android.

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Sorry, that isn't going to work. They don't have a version of the Hub app for Microsoft Surface. Only for iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android.

Thanks for the info....I sort of figured that wouldn't work. But good to know for sure.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, msstarr22 said:

What!  I never had to get a ticket for YTD!  Is this new?  We just went to the dining room when we were hungry and it only took 5 minutes to be seated.  Please will someone clarify as my hubby doesn't like anything different.

When we sailed Sunrise last year there was the option to check-in on the deck above the restaurant if you had any special request, "reserve" your spot through the hub app (not a set time reservation, more a virtual check-in) or just show up at the entrance (and risk a small wait).

On 2/8/2020 at 8:23 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I never understood the concept behind making YTD check in on deck 5. What was wrong with checking in at the MDR desk? We'll be on Horizon next month and will be our first time to do it this way. It'll also be the first time we're able to check in from the app, so we'll probably do that instead. I just don't get why they changed it. It doesn't seem to make it more efficient and it creates an extra stop for the passenger, sometimes having to go out of their way to do it on deck 5.

I think as others said it was a space issue.  Also possibly to push more use of the hub app, just like pushing self check-out at grocery stores or kiosk ordering at fast food restaurants.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, coevan said:

never seen lines at YTD, should operate like a normal restaurant. Although we do not show up the minute it opens.

We have seen lines on formal/elegant nights, just like we see lines/wait times at "normal" restaurants during peak hours.  I do agree with you and others that it is an awkward system that doesn't benefit the client.