Considering Princess World Cruise

Jakdgr

Been reading lots of the threads re World Cruising.  DH and I are looking at planning a WC 2022/23and waiting to see what routes Princess will offer for that year as we have status with them.

We are looking at up front costs, what may be extras vs what’s included in other inclusive cruise lines plus room size comparisons. I went to an online TA site and saw they gave OBC  over and above what some of the cruise lines show on their sites but then discovered that TA had some Princess WC priced but specified did not include gratuities so I’m a little confused.

Has anyone done a WC with Princess in recent time and what did Princess include as standard for WC?  We are thinking of a mini suite or balcony all depending on what the final budget looks like. Appreciate any advice/tips you may have and I’ll keep reading threads.

thanks

Jo

15 hours ago, Jakdgr said:

Been reading lots of the threads re World Cruising.  DH and I are looking at planning a WC 2022/23and waiting to see what routes Princess will offer for that year as we have status with them.

We are looking at up front costs, what may be extras vs what’s included in other inclusive cruise lines plus room size comparisons. I went to an online TA site and saw they gave OBC  over and above what some of the cruise lines show on their sites but then discovered that TA had some Princess WC priced but specified did not include gratuities so I’m a little confused.

Has anyone done a WC with Princess in recent time and what did Princess include as standard for WC?  We are thinking of a mini suite or balcony all depending on what the final budget looks like. Appreciate any advice/tips you may have and I’ll keep reading threads.

thanks

Jo

We did the 2015 WC with Princess and are currently aboard Viking Sun's World Cruise.

With Princess, whether gratuities are included depends on departure port. On the US departure you pay gratuities, as an extra, while on the Sydney departure they are included in the base fare. The 2015 Princess WC was our last ever cruise with them, after 40 years of both working for and cruising with them.

In another thread on the WC Board, I did a detailed break down of the base fare and additional charges between Princess and Viking, eventually breaking it down to a total per diem cost. On Viking the base cruise fare is significantly higher, but by the end of the cruise, the net per diem cost is virtually the same, unless you don't do anything onboard. With a refund from our onboard account, I am now projecting the 2020 Viking cruise will be less per day than the 2015 Princess cruise.

On Viking we will depart the ship with a substantial refund from our on-board account, whereas on Princess, each segment we had a healthy bill.

Note - my comparisons all relate to Viking, but you can most likely substitute some of the other premium/luxury lines and get similar results.

Thanks, I’ll go back to the thread you mentioned and have a look. 

Can I ask, cabin size comparison on Viking to ie Princess in same type room - is it similar?

Haven’t researched Viking yet so will do that.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks.

Jo

On 2/11/2020 at 2:03 AM, Jakdgr said:

Thanks, I’ll go back to the thread you mentioned and have a look. 

Can I ask, cabin size comparison on Viking to ie Princess in same type room - is it similar?

Haven’t researched Viking yet so will do that.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks.

Jo

On Sea Princess we had a balcony, and have another balcony cabin, which is the lowest category on Viking. The Viking cabin is 50% larger than Princess.

I do a daily blog post from the World Cruise, so you can check out the posts from each cruise line on our blog - www.AndyandJudi.com

Our Princess WC started May 2015, if you want to research that one.

Edited by Heidi13