HAL one of two cruise options- any advice

chisoxfan

Probably an 'unrealistic' post but as frequent cruisers (Princess, X, HAL, NCL, RCL) we have narrowed our Caribbean cruise choices for 2021 to two lines MSC Yacht Club and HAL.

We had booked a 7 day MSC YC cruise  for Jan. and I saw that we could potentially book a BtoB Nieuw Amsterdam on HAL (14 day) for not much more. YC vs. deluxe balcony.

Two things are critical to us on HAL... drink package and cabana.  Since cabin availability did not seem that great I went ahead and booked the HAL cruise also.

I am assuming I will be able to book a cabana but the other part of this 'equation' is getting a drink package (without extra charge or at a moderately increased cruise fare). I had posted before about the drink offerings (Explore 4 etc.) and understand nobody knows when these programs will surface. I had 'kept my eyes open' and receive e mails and mailings from HAL but never saw one that caught our attention for this cruise.  Just wondering if there is any mechanism that would allow us to be informed of a new offering where the drink package was included.  I think I know the answer to this but new info is always raised on CC and I have not cruised HAL for several years.  We love the cabanas, BB Kings, and hot dogs by the pool on HAL and love MSC Yacht Club also but think another 7 days in the sun is even better than YC.

Hope this makes sense and comments and info appreciated as always.

Again know there was a previous promo for future bookings that included drinks but we were really not looking at the B to B option then etc.

9 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Just wondering if there is any mechanism that would allow us to be informed of a new offering where the drink package was included. 

We check the HAL site every few days.  We also watch for threads that are started here by a couple of regular posters about price drops and promos.  (DaveOKC is the one poster I remember who does this regularly.)  You can also sign up with some of the bigger online travel agencies, as they often do email blasts of promos (not price drops).

I'll be interested to see what others suggest 🙂

Does your HAL booking include On Board Credit? There is a current promotion that includes up to $500 OBC.

If so, you can use that money to purchase a beverage package, once you are on board.

If HAL has a free beverage package in the future it most likely won't include OBC as well. Or, if it includes OBC and a beverage package the price of the cruise will be higher.

We have an OBC for the B to B  (300 I believe). As I understand it the drink package is around 90 per day for 2 so we are looking at around 1400 for a two week cruise. I understand how the trade offs are regarding benes offered. Was just hoping that 'maybe'  a drink package shows up without too much change in fare.  Never considered a B to

B before but figured two weeks at sea would be attractive as compared to one week for similar cost although we do enjoy MSC YC.

Anyway appreciate the responses. I will try to follow HAL site. I book with big warehouse agency (another advantage over MSC) so I don't think they are particularly adept at identifying new offers.

Will see what happens.

Another thing to consider is that if you drink 5 drinks, or less, per day (per person) it is cheaper to just pay for the drinks individually, than to buy the drink package. On sea days you probably will buy more drinks than on port days. On port days you can usually get drinks in port for less money.

Our 'game' is pretty much fixed. On a Carib cruise we may leave the ship at a few ports but pretty much like to hang at the pool and have a few drinks. Why we like X,  it is a hassle to find space around the pool. MSC Yacht Club checks the boxes with the YC pool area and free premium drinks. That said I always had a soft spot for HAL and when looking at pricing for B to B figured I would be happy with a balcony and cabana for a little more cash if we could enjoy two weeks.  We just like the freedom of having all drinks and water available  without running a tab and pretty much won't do a Carib cruise without a package (a port inclusive European cruise would be a different story).  For this reason we have also expanded to AI's which we have used as a substitute for the more frequent cruising we used to do. 

If it were me I would choose a two week cruise over a one week.  Especially if you can get a verandah and a cabana.  Keep your eye out for promos which include the drinks package and you could get that covered too.  Happy Hour also keeps the drink costs down if you want to consider that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

We just like the freedom of having all drinks and water available  without running a tab

If you buy a plain beverage card ( $50, $100, etc.) with your OBC, you can use it to buy bar drinks and will not have to worry about a tab, just that your card will run out of value (!!). Then just get another.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

In 2019, HAL ran a "Free beverage package" (and Pinnacle dinner) promo that took place in April.  I know as we booked Antarctica for 2020 Christmas at that time.  You have plenty of time and I would think some kind of offer will come along with the beverage package.

Just booked Bermuda and the east coast on "X" for June, 2020 with "All four perks" on a recent Celebrity promo, but for far in advance bookings "X" is typically a lot higher than HAL.

Had to smile at the OP's post.  We cruise on HAL ( Star Mariners) and have also taken several MSC Caribbean cruises in the Yacht Club (on the Divina).  For us it is no contest, the MSC cruises were better in nearly every way.  To be blunt, although we like HAL it is a line we avoid in the Caribbean where HAL has never even heard of Bob Marley.   On MSC we can choose from multiple live entertainment until midnight...when most on HAL ships have already been sleeping for hours.

Also beware of HAL beverage promos.  They are not free as the price of the cruise is usually increased to cover the promo.  MSC's Yacht Club always includes drinks and just about everything else (except excursions).  We once had a long Oosterdam booking (with Free drink package) and was later able to "rebook" it without the drinks and save nearly $11,000.  We did manage to spend around $3000 for drinks on that cruise which meant that NOT having the drink package saved us about $8000.

Hank

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Had to smile at the OP's post.  We cruise on HAL ( Star Mariners) and have also taken several MSC Caribbean cruises in the Yacht Club (on the Divina).  For us it is no contest, the MSC cruises were better in nearly every way.  To be blunt, although we like HAL it is a line we avoid in the Caribbean where HAL has never even heard of Bob Marley.   On MSC we can choose from multiple live entertainment until midnight...when most on HAL ships have already been sleeping for hours

Hank

Hello Hank, yes there are different cruising styles, and everybody has to find the cruise line that best fits what they like.

For us it is HAL. we have little interest in the entertainment and are among those people who are in bed early.

On our last cruise, I wanted to try BB Kings, but all of the performances were too late for us, so we skipped it. We do like the Lincoln Center group, and they have performances in the afternoon.

17 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Hello Hank, yes there are different cruising styles, and everybody has to find the cruise line that best fits what they like.

For us it is HAL. we have little interest in the entertainment and are among those people who are in bed early.

On our last cruise, I wanted to try BB Kings, but all of the performances were too late for us, so we skipped it. We do like the Lincoln Center group, and they have performances in the afternoon.

When we take longer more exotic HAL cruises, we often find ourselves off to bed by 11 :).  But we find the Caribbean somewhat different as its an area we have been traveling and cruising for over forty years.  When in those waters we tend to stay up late, party more, and relax during the days at favorite beaches or on the ship.   But being on a HAL ship in the Caribbean where a majority are in bed by 10...makes for too many quiet and boring evenings.  Must admit that we still do love entertainment which is an area that HAL lags.

Hank