Recommendations..flying into FLL, sailing out of POM

zippybossrock

Looking for some recommendations.  My daughters and I (20 &16) will fly in to FLL a day prior to a sailing out of POM.  I don’t want to spend a lot on the pre-cruise hotel.  Is it better to stay in FLL and then Lyft to POM or, find a hotel in Miami and Lyft to the port?

30 minutes ago, zippybossrock said:

Looking for some recommendations.  My daughters and I (20 &16) will fly in to FLL a day prior to a sailing out of POM.  I don’t want to spend a lot on the pre-cruise hotel.  Is it better to stay in FLL and then Lyft to POM or, find a hotel in Miami and Lyft to the port?

Spending a little or a lot depends on when you sail. We are flying into FLL next month for a cruise out of Miami. Staying at the Embassy Suites, 17th st Fort Lauderdale. Two nights under $300.00. It’s a favorite of cruisers. Then using SAS shuttle to the port and back. $15.00 per person each way. Again depending on the time of year you can find really good rates for Downtown Miami, and Miami Beach. When we stay in Miami we stay downtown. The port is a 10 to 15 minute ride away.

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Embassy Suites, 17th st Fort Lauderdale. Two nights under $300.00.

Sounds like you got a great rate for March.  I assume this is not a prepaid discount.  Do you

feel rates change much over time for the same period (eg booking March 9 months in advance vs booking 1-2 months before being higher)?

I’m torn on prepaying hotel for October before booking air (opens next month).  I know I want 1 day in hotel before cruise.  Might want one day after (6 day cruise) since it would not require additional vacation.  At that point I’d prefer sub-$200 rates over the $250-$300/night currently available near POM.

3 hours ago, zippybossrock said:

In general comparable hotels in Miami will be more expensive than hotels in the FLL area. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

As suggested above, when you cruise - tourist season, special events, etc. - dramatically affect hotel prices. When do you cruise and what is your budget? That info will help the suggestions to be closer to your target.

Sorry...should have included that. Mid December...flying to FLL on 12/12, sailing on 12/13.  Then likely will stay overnight post cruise on 12/20 as it seems SW flights that depart FLL on Sundays are outrageous.  I’d like to keep the cost under $150 per night.  
Thinking it may be more cost effective to just do Lyft rather than pay per person for myself and my 2 daughters??

Correct! The three of you plus bags (unless someone packs like my wife) should fit into an UberX or standard Lyft. Fare from FLL to downtown Miami hotels or from FLL area hotels to POM should be about $35+

The later in the day you arrive, the more sense it makes to stay near FLL IMHO. Good luck with your hotel search.

We are doing similar in March.  Hotels everywhere were $$ but we got a decent rate in Miami right near the port (we fly to FLL on the Friday morning and my sister flies to Miami later that night)

I am having a harder time getting us back to FLL after the cruise.  Again, my sister flies out of Miami the day after.  But we have a 9pm flight in FLL.  I can't find a shuttle to take us from their hotel to FLL. 

Lyft/Uber?  Big difference in service or price?  We will have 6 - so will likely need 2 vehicles.

9 hours ago, maplevale said:

We are doing similar in March.  Hotels everywhere were $$ but we got a decent rate in Miami right near the port (we fly to FLL on the Friday morning and my sister flies to Miami later that night)

I am having a harder time getting us back to FLL after the cruise.  Again, my sister flies out of Miami the day after.  But we have a 9pm flight in FLL.  I can't find a shuttle to take us from their hotel to FLL. 

Lyft/Uber?  Big difference in service or price?  We will have 6 - so will likely need 2 vehicles.

Two UberX cars or standard Lyft will run about $35+ each from downtown Miami hotels to FLL. I have both apps and the prices are usually within pennies, but sometimes there is a difference. Most drivers are signed up with both services.