Documents

Dspcentury

Unless he has a passport to travel on instead, yes he will have a problem with his ID not matching his birth certificate. Such a problem that they won't let him board. He needs to have names match as well as match the name of his reservation. 

His options are 

1) change the name of his birth certificate

2) change the name of his driver's license

3) get a passport

Honestly not sure which would be easier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Unless he has a passport to travel on instead, yes he will have a problem with his ID not matching his birth certificate. Such a problem that they won't let him board. He needs to have names match as well as match the name of his reservation. 

His options are 

3) get a passport

All three of these present problems AND TIME LIMITS ON FIXING to be cruise eligible !

Number 1 - the most perplexing and difficult to do ! Probably impossible without a Spanish Inquisition

Number 2 - the easiest to do but with limited value for future (cruise) travel

Number 3 - the BEST to do with problems relating to the above solving the problem once and for all

Name change may require the aid of an attorney and court time

As for the closed loop cruise maybe passable today - but tomorrow with REAL ID on drivers license

it will be more than a necessity - time to get this fixed now - do not wait at the pier to find out you

can't board.

"Don't try and leave HOME without established ID (Passport) expecting a smooth return if that is possible"

With these goofy political times never know what to expect from the government - its agents and

the travel industry --- and then there are the foreign governments to contend with - NO Passport - NO pass !

OP is from NY - presently NY and the US Government are at odds about Global Entry - what is next !

Good that you discovered asked about this in time for a fix !

Actually getting the drivers license name to match his birth certificate would be the way to go. Make sure the new drivers license is a Real ID (will have the star). That will be the right travel ID. 

Utimately if you're cruising get a passport. I also recommend spending the extra $30 to get a passport card. The card works for caribbean cruises to/from the US and for domestic air travel. 

Hopefully his SS card has Miguel or he's got bigger issues.

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

His options are 

3) get a passport

My experience, get a Passport.  I live in California and I tried to change the license and they gave me a super hard time.  I had my correct first name, my name before marriage, and then my last name.  This State is impossible though.  It is always better to have a passport in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

Actually getting the drivers license name to match his birth certificate would be the way to go. Make sure the new drivers license is a Real ID (will have the star). That will be the right travel ID. 

Utimately if you're cruising get a passport. I also recommend spending the extra $30 to get a passport card. The card works for caribbean cruises to/from the US and for domestic air travel. 

Hopefully his SS card has Miguel or he's got bigger issues.

My husband just  went to renew his drivers license and we needed more identification for the Real ID than we did for a passport.  California though.  Bummer state.  They even wanted the ORIGINAL Social Security Card--believe that.  He had it, miracle of miracles.

5 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

My experience, get a Passport.  I live in California and I tried to change the license and they gave me a super hard time.  I had my correct first name, my name before marriage, and then my last name.  This State is impossible though.  It is always better to have a passport in my opinion.

My guess is changing his driver's license may be easiest, but I'm pretty sure I had to show my birth certificate when I got mine so I'm not sure how his is in a different name? 

The birth certificate would likely have to go through the court so big ordeal. 

I got my passport when I was a teen (right when they required it for Canada) so I'm honestly blanking if they needed a picture ID or not? 

Once you get a Passport keep renewing it without fail to avoid the slings and pains of outrageous government

"I" dotting and "T" crossing verification in this day and age of "Identity Crises" !

REAL ID is only good inside the USA and very limited local cruises -

The Passport is without question the Gold Diamond Platinum standard for universal travel !

3 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

My husband just  went to renew his drivers license and we needed more identification for the Real ID than we did for a passport.  California though.  Bummer state.  They even wanted the ORIGINAL Social Security Card--believe that.  He had it, miracle of miracles.

That’s not the state making up those crazy rules to get a REAL ID license, it’s the feds. And it’s a whole lot of b.s. security theatre.  

My brother-in-law's "legal" name in Vincenzo.  He goes by Vincent.  His birth certificate and passport say Vincenzo.  His drivers license says Vincent.  When he made his reservations for his NCL cruise, he gave Vincent as his name.  He made his airline reservations with Vincent.  He has since corrected his NCL reservation so the name on his passport and reservation are exactly the same, complete with middle name.  He is now talking to the airlines to correct his name on the reservation.

19 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That’s not the state making up those crazy rules to get a REAL ID license, it’s the feds. And it’s a whole lot of b.s. security theatre.  

LOL, you have that right.  My license isn't due for renewal so I am not doing all that, the documentation would kill a cow.  I will keep my Passport up to date.  

2 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

Passport is the best way for a long term. Real ID - only work in the U.S.

The problem with this gentleman is that Miguel and Michael are the same.  I believe If he has enough time he can go work that out.  He will have to go back to the birth certificate name though.  Or, I believe investing in a name change if it isn't for the purpose of defrauding someone is also quite easy.  I did it on my son.  He will have to devote some time to this.

In review if the first name is Michael (Miguel) it is going to be paramount to get this fixed.

If the middle name is Michael (Miguel) it may pass but the Passport is spelled out fully - best solution

here is forget the drivers license and get the Passport and then when the drivers license is up for renewal

get that changed at that time using the Passport as the ID method for the change.

Yes a more expensive route DL costing maybe $40 - Passport $110 with one time $35 application fee -

Passport Card $30 (not a requirement just optional).

The sooner this is all straighten out the better to print the EDOCS timely and have all the NCL stuff in order.

Incomplete data - not processing - no cruise docs - unable to cruise - forfeiture of cruise !!!

We only use passports for the so called security checks. That includes domestic flights too.

Never had a problem boarding any plane, train, or automobile. Bite the bullet and and have him get a passport.

Even on a closed loop cruise something can go wrong. Having a valid passport will be the only quick way out.