NCL banning ALL Chinese passport holders regardless of travel??

travelinmama

2/12/20 We have a 5/25 AK cruise planned departing from Vancouver and arriving in Seward on the NCL Jewel. I know we are 3 months away and believe me, I couldn't be happier about that because I'm hoping this coronavirus leaves as quickly as it started. However, I read that the cruise lines are not allowing anyone on board who has traveled to China etc within  14 days prior to departure. I completely understand that. However, we are being told (and it is clearly indicated on their website) that NCL is taking it way further and not allowing ANYONE holding a chinese passport at all to cruise. Period. There are 6 of us going on this cruise. 3 were born in China and have Chinese passports (but do have green cards). Two will have been here for 4 mths prior to the cruise and my daughter in law has lived in the states for 10+ years. This is crazy and I have no idea why they are being that strict. I completely understand about no recent travel but..... Does this affect anyone else ? thanks

Edited by travelinmama
wrong date
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, travelinmama said:

2/12/20 We have a 5/25 AK cruise planned departing from Vancouver and arriving in Seward on the NCL Jewel. I know we are 3 months away and believe me, I couldn't be happier about that because I'm hoping this coronavirus leaves as quickly as it started. However, I read that the cruise lines are not allowing anyone on board who has traveled to China etc within  14 days prior to departure. I completely understand that. However, we are being told (and it is clearly indicated on their website) that NCL is taking it way further and not allowing ANYONE holding a chinese passport at all to cruise. Period. There are 6 of us going on this cruise. 3 were born in China and have Chinese passports (but do have green cards). Two will have been here for 4 mths prior to the cruise and my daughter in law has lived in the states for 10+ years. This is crazy and I have no idea why they are being that strict. I completely understand about no recent travel but..... Does this affect anyone else ? thanks

I agree with you.   Crazy times and hopefully they will change their position like Royal Caribbean.  But....

Those chinese with a green card can sail under these circumstances

• Except U.S. Alien Residents holding an Alien Resident Card (ARC), also known as a "Green Card" traveling on itineraries that sail from a US port and end in a US port.
  •  

Canada has cases of the virus transmitted from people visiting from China and the Canadians got sick first (visitors were showing no symptoms). 

Until they work out better procedures for ships like the Diamond Princess, I think NCL needs to be paranoid 

I am sorry this is happening to you but they are offering refunds - I would call NCL and confirm if you can wait to see if they will modify their policy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, equinelady said:

I agree with you.   Crazy times and hopefully they will change their position like Royal Caribbean.  But....

Those chinese with a green card can sail under these circumstances

• Except U.S. Alien Residents holding an Alien Resident Card (ARC), also known as a "Green Card" traveling on itineraries that sail from a US port and end in a US port.
  •  

Would not help these folks as they are sailing out of Vancouver.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I feel like this is a discrimination of sorts. I feel so sorry for the mom who had the 17 mth old son and hubby who could go but she couldn't. THAT is horribly disappointing. As I said if NCL is creating these individual rules which don't quite seem fair (no one holding a passport from these countries can board...), then they should be paying for everyone in that party as well as all of the other non refundables. We took out insurance but our insurance will not cover NCL 's decision!!

14 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Royal ended that policy today so I would look for NCL to do so soon also.

I was hoping so too but just read an article that the only ones they loosened the restriction on was their crew. So, how does that seem fair ??? Your crew who holds a Chinese passport can work on the ship but people who own a Chinese passport and have lived here for months/years before travel can NOT travel? 

47 minutes ago, travelinmama said:

I was hoping so too but just read an article that the only ones they loosened the restriction on was their crew. So, how does that seem fair ??? Your crew who holds a Chinese passport can work on the ship but people who own a Chinese passport and have lived here for months/years before travel can NOT travel? 

If the crew holds one of those passports and already were on board, they are not banned.  Crew that are joining the ship are banned.  

Any crew members joining our ships that hold a Chinese, Hong Kong or Macau passport will not be allowed to board our ships. In addition, any crew members who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau within 30 days will not be allowed to board our ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

If the crew holds one of those passports and already were on board, they are not banned.  Crew that are joining the ship are banned.  

Any crew members joining our ships that hold a Chinese, Hong Kong or Macau passport will not be allowed to board our ships. In addition, any crew members who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau within 30 days will not be allowed to board our ships.

Ok, that explains it a bit better. thanks so much.. Geesh.. REALLY hoping they loosen the restrictions on this. I understand not going to Chinese ports, other ports in Asia, and banning those who have traveled to any area affected within the 14 or even 30 days prior to boarding but honestly... not sure what the purpose is of banning anyone holding Chinese passport. Also not sure if they will be responsible for all charges incurred since some insurances will not pick this up and THEY are making the policy which not only affects those holding Chinese passports but those traveling with them as well.   I don't know. I keep saying the same thing over and over. Hoping and praying this lightens some. Thank God it does not seem to be taking hold over here the way it has over in Asia.  

16 hours ago, travelinmama said:

Check a little further, NCL allows anyone holding a "green card" to board, even if their passports are from China. I would call NCL, I suspect that Vancouver and other Canadian departures ending in the US will be treated as closed loop cruises and people will be allowed to go, especially cruises that are only visiting Alaska and New England.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus

Edited by zqvol

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Check a little further, NCL allows anyone holding a "green card" to board, even if their passports are from China. I would call NCL, I suspect that Vancouver and other Canadian departures ending in the US will be treated as closed loop cruises and people will be allowed to go, especially cruises that are only visiting Alaska and New England.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I did see that but one has to depart from and return to a US port and we leave from Vancouver.   I emailed our cruise consultant and for now was told "here is the policy."  sounds like they are not too concerned about it since it is in May, which I can understand.. BUT if we need to make alternative plans.... I just feel badly for others in the "same boat" (literally) who have cruises soon!!

😞

Edited by travelinmama

I just contacted our NCL cruise consultant and I was basically told that the policy is in place and she can't change it etc.  I was told that (obviously ) Vancouver is not a US port so it does include us. Can't go because they hold Chinese passports even though they hold green cards and live here/have not traveled back for 4 mths prior to cruise.  They are not being very forthcoming about reimbursement either.  So if families are traveling, I guess those holding Chinese passports don't go but the rest of the family does? This is crazy. I do understand that they don't want people traveling if they visited China etc. but they don't seem to be budging on this. And yes, for those commenting about they don't want coronavirus on board... I totally agree and completely understand but they aren't stopping US passport holders or any other passport holders who could have just as easily had family members travel to China and then visit them...

I want to say that our NCL cruise consultant has been great in all of this. Not upset with her at all and she did not make the policy. Luckily I did hear back that we will get a refund as long as we are in the same cabin so that works out well. We should all be getting a refund. AND I just contacted Holland America and the rep was amazing. They have no policy such as this and were able to get us on their ship, almost same itinerary and close dates etc.  Hoping this thing does not come to a head the way it did in China. Thanks again everyone

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, travelinmama said:

I want to say that our NCL cruise consultant has been great in all of this. Not upset with her at all and she did not make the policy. Luckily I did hear back that we will get a refund as long as we are in the same cabin so that works out well. We should all be getting a refund. AND I just contacted Holland America and the rep was amazing. They have no policy such as this and were able to get us on their ship, almost same itinerary and close dates etc.  Hoping this thing does not come to a head the way it did in China. Thanks again everyone

I'm so happy to hear of your happy outcome.  I know some people think the whole passport issue is racial discrimination....it's not.  Companies have to drawn a line somewhere and NCL took the conservative approach.  It's not much different when the captain decides to skip a port due to weather....some would try, others don't want the responsibility of the risk.

I'm happy that the policy for the other cruise lines are not this strict. I do appreciate them wanting to keep the cruises safe. I am the first one to get that. But .... that is like saying "all US passport holders can't cruise."  I don't think folks would like it too much. Again, the excessively conservative decision.... not sure where it is coming from. I do get the whole thing with banning folks traveling within 30 days even but it doesn't seem to matter if they are living in the US or not. very sad. I will think twice before I book on NCL again. It is really a shame because they were always my #1 favorite.. oh well!!  Just happy that HA still had cabins available. 

Msg. to OP, glad to hear of the outcome. 

IMHO, it's not racial discrimination per se, rather stereotypical reaction on the basis of passenger's national origin. There are plenty of foreign nationals that live and work, or study and even retired to mainland China. I have no problems if a cruise line can prove their prejudice and bias on solid grounds by virtue of the country issuing the passport.  Exclusions and risk profiling  should be based on recent travel history and transit points en route.

Well, that is if they aren't worried at all about secondary virus infection and transmission by silent spreaders that aren't symptomatic, as those passport holders could be from any and all countries around the world.  Wait, NCL could've easily solved it by cancelling all their Asia sailings for the next 2 or 3 months. 

NCL is going to be remembered for fumbling this, especially for their otherwise growing Chinese market, with the Joy's pulled out of the Shanghai port after 1 year. 

Edited by mking8288

On 2/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, April42749 said:

I'm so happy to hear of your happy outcome.  I know some people think the whole passport issue is racial discrimination....it's not.  Companies have to drawn a line somewhere and NCL took the conservative approach.  It's not much different when the captain decides to skip a port due to weather....some would try, others don't want the responsibility of the risk.

Not certain it is racial discrimination.  More likely NCL being irrational and contradictory.  

The OP would have been permitted to do an Alaska cruise departing Seattle (that stops in Canada, usually Victoria).  However the OP can not do what amounts to basically the same cruise departing from Canada (Vancouver) on a sister ship.   

What is even more "weird" about the situation is just now Canada is less strict than the US on travelers from China entering the country.   NCL is doing the opposite.  

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1